Objects animation - HELP!!!!

Started by Filipe, Tue 15/01/2019 11:48:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Filipe.

You want to listen to these guys for they have years of knowledge and trust me I've been where you are.

Sit back, relax an stay cool. All will come right in the end if you do as they ask.

1, Make sure you have created the said object in the room correctly named and that its view loop has at least 3 images.
2, Add your object code to animate in Before Fadein function
3, Get rid of all the other code. Maybe use a new room to do this so it has no other code.
4, Check your walkable area is correctly placed.
5, We generally use regions and not hotspots for walks on..
4, compile and run game.

eri0o

Filipe, could you show a printscreen of your Room and code, paste on imgur or record a video? I still can't understand your problem.

Please consider the possibility you misunderstood what blocking and nonblocking functions do. Essentially, if something is non-blocking, neither the player or whatever is next in the first-in-first-out actions pipe will wait. So if you tell something to animate, starting from the first frame, and do that on the next frame, and on next frame, on and on, the result is that you only see the first frame all the time.

As CW said, without taking a look in your code it's impossible for us to help you.

Filipe

Ok, sorry.. and thanks :)
When my game started doing these weird things it seemed like it was a kind of windows 10 conflict... I'm now more relaxed...
You see I'm used to Procedural programming, like Pascal, c, etc...

Filipe

Quote from: eri0o on Tue 15/01/2019 16:49:03
Filipe, could you show a printscreen of your Room and code, paste on imgur or record a video? I still can't understand your problem.

Please consider the possibility you misunderstood what blocking and nonblocking functions do. Essentially, if something is non-blocking, neither the player or whatever is next in the first-in-first-out actions pipe will wait. So if you tell something to animate, starting from the first frame, and do that on the next frame, and on next frame, on and on, the result is that you only see the first frame all the time.

As CW said, without taking a look in your code it's impossible for us to help you.

I would do that, but it is just a test... I'm ashamed :( It is not a game... I will do that later... thanks for your help :)

eri0o

Seriously, just paste your code, someone will find your thread in Google one day looking for help.

If you can, please, once you understand what you were doing wrong, and what you did right, write here what you did wrong, and if you can, why you thought of that. It's not impossible that sonething has to be written clearly somewhere to make something easier to understand.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Filipe on Tue 15/01/2019 16:51:08
I would do that, but it is just a test... I'm ashamed :( It is not a game...

That really does not matter. We are not here to judge your game, we are trying to diagnose the problem and it is as hard to do without seeing actual code as to diagnose illness without seeing actual person.

If you look around this forum you will see people posting all kinds of random code all the time, some of which is just made for experiment.

Filipe

my code:

Function cSusan_Intertact()
{
cSusan.Walk(500, 400, eBlock, eAnywhere);
}

Maybe it is the eAnywhere, because he jumps from one position to the last frame

Filipe

Ok, I got it... the problem was the Anywhere, but still he walks very, very  fast...  I remove the anywhere and now he walks but he runs like Flash ;) LOL

Also the character is not going to walk with the eNoBlock, if it is being animated in the Rep Exec...  so that was also one of my problems... when you have an animated object/character and you try to interact with it, if he is doing the animation in a loop, you have to block it otherwise it will be messed up, and the eNoBlock function seems not to be working... so it was always a override problem from the begining... thanks to Crimson Wizard for suggesting it :)

Slasher

in the character events panel check movementspeed and animationdelay.. Adjust to suit...

Khris

Quote from: Filipe on Tue 15/01/2019 17:06:24
my code:

{
}
That won't even compile, let alone run. Why don't you post the actual code you have? Just copy-paste it here. You aren't seriously retyping it / avoiding to post code because you don't know you can copy-paste it?

Filipe

Thanks Slasher, your replies really help me :)

Filipe

Quote from: Khris on Tue 15/01/2019 17:40:41
Quote from: Filipe on Tue 15/01/2019 17:06:24
my code:

{
}
That won't even compile, let alone run. Why don't you post the actual code you have? Just copy-paste it here. You aren't seriously retyping it / avoiding to post code because you don't know you can copy-paste it?

:( No, actually, for strange that it might seems to you, I'm using a different computer to run AGS, which is not connected to the net, I know, I know what you are thinking, and no. I don't use wi fi. It is an old computer, well sort of, it runs Windows 10 :)... so in fact everything has an explanation, in this case a very simple one... I'm doing some tests, and I really love AGS... what is happenng to me is something called creative impatience... It was the first time I really got into AGS and I love it... :) I plan on installing it on my new computer.... but now, I'm just learning, and boy I leanr a lot this day...

My problem is that I was running a lot of tests... I never bother to delete the code I had on the Rep Exec function, so it was in conflict with every thing I told cSusan to do... Also I didn't mean I was ashamed of showing my code, I wanna it more to say, that i it was difficulte for you to understand with all this mess I was doing... but you Khriss... you seem to be looking for a fight :( I understand you don't have patience for newbies... sorry then :(

By the way, I promice to show you guys first hand, when my game is finished ;)

Khris

Quote from: Filipe on Tue 15/01/2019 19:09:12but you Khriss... you seem to be looking for a fight :( I understand you don't have patience for newbies... sorry then :(

Yes, I hate all newbies. Newbies are scum. I always talk down to them, as a general rule. If you are a newbie and I happen upon your thread, you better get ready for some serious, indiscriminate abuse.

Slasher

Back in the cage Khris  (laugh)

He gets angry when Newbies won't listen or pay any attention to advice and make lame excuses and get very defensive because ags is not doing what it's suppose to do.

Most of us know Khris and his bark is worse then his bite but he's an ok guy, underneath  (laugh)

Read the ags help manual, its your bible  (nod)

Filipe

No problem for me here... I was wondering why Khris was banned once, but now I understand why ;) There is always a Khris in any forum LOL, and always a Filipe ;) I just hope he likes my game.. the bad guy is going to be called Khris, on your honor, and he is going to be a really ugly dude... You see, I'm a goods sport ;)

Gilbert

Everyone! Please stay on topic and refrain from attacking each other or I'll do something to this thread.
Thank you!

Filipe

To end it, let me just say this:

I LOVE AGS :) My favorite genre of games is adventure games. I spent my youth playing games such as Monkey Island, Rex Nebular, Space Quest, Kings Quest, etc... Those great memories are embedded on me. I use to play those games on an Amiga before I move to PC. I alywas dreamed of making computer games, namely point and click ones. I only discovered AGS now, and I'm crazy happy. It was a dream for me... I'm in love by AGS, and what it can do, so I got a little be excited. I had problem in the past with Win 10... and some software so I got into panic :(

Again, many  Thanks to all the people that helped me including Khris :)

ManicMatt

Hi, I think you would be better off making a simple one room game to get into the swing of things. Don't have any npcs doing any complex movements or animations. Just keep it basic as possible. Get into the swing of making a simple room where you can have a simple puzzle. My first starting project didn't require me to use eNoBlock and so on, it was that basic with no animation apart from the main character walking and talking. Small steps!

If you want to see what AGS is capable of, look up a trailer for the forthcoming Guard Duty and you'll see how AGS is quite easily coping with multiple animations and events.

Filipe

thanks for the advise...

Did you choose your nick name in honor to Manic Miner? I am a fan of that Spectrum game :)

ManicMatt

I've played it, but... nope, sorry!

I can't really remember it was that long ago, but I think it was something to do with my personality back then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk