Engine Limit Questions Dialogues, And Global Scripts

Started by jamesreg, Mon 21/01/2019 17:22:43

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesreg

Hello,

I have some questions on a couple of the Engine Limits I have seen posted.
I am asking here because I know some of the limits have changed, Increased or been done away with over the years.
So I am wanting to make sure I understand fully if my info is current or not.

First

500  script GlobalInts (not including your own variables)
  50  script GlobalStrings (not including your own variables)

Is this the same as the Global Variables which you declare in the Global Variable Panel? I read one post which said there was not a limit to how many you could create in that panel but then I seen the above limits listed on the Engine Limits page. Can someone explain this further.

also

500  dialog topics
3000  dialog-script messages

Is Dialog topics meaning the dialog you create in the dialog panel meaning you can only have 500 with 30 Topics in each one?
3000 Dialog Script messages is this everytime I do say cego.say  commands? Does this count for each line spoken or one line if bunched in a dialog topic?

If I am mistaken or confused please clarigy to me what the above limits mean exactly.

Also does displayat commands and such count toward Dialog messages and such?

Plus if someone thinks they could reach these limits any suggestions on tricks to go beyound those limits with other script commands or things.

Thank you.

Crimson Wizard

Hmmm.... may I ask where did you see these limits? Dialog topic limit was removed recently (not dialog options though, don't remember why). But limits for global ints? That information is probably outdated for 10+ years because I don't remember ever reading about that.

I also don't know what "dialog-script messages" are. The only "messages" I heard of are global & room messages which are the sort of optional way to set up default messages for some things in the game. Not sure how many people actually know and use these today. In any case the strings you type in script (either regular script or dialog script) are not related to these.

The up-to-date limits are noted in the current manual's System limits page:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/ags83.htm#topic84
This information corresponds to AGS 3.4.1.

UPD: not in the manual, but in AGS 3.5.0 (wip) following limits are removed:
* fonts limit
* imported sprites limit raised to 90000 and you may have unlimited (up to 2+ billions) dynamic sprites.

jamesreg

Ok that is more updated then what I was reading I got the info from this post
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Engine_limits

So as for as global variables and such there is no limit
and only thing that limits dialogs is options in a dialog topic to 30 but you can have unlimited dialog Topics so thats not an issue.

Thank you very much.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: jamesreg on Mon 21/01/2019 17:53:54
Ok that is more updated then what I was reading I got the info from this post
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Engine_limits

Oh, it's from the wiki again. Unfortunately it was not updated for ages. I've been asking to remove the manual pages from wiki to stop confusion but they are still there :(.

What's interesting, there are some more technical limits that are not mentioned in the manual, like "call stack to be 50 levels deep". This may be worth copying back.

Quote from: jamesreg on Mon 21/01/2019 17:53:54
So as for as global variables and such there is no limit

Right, the global variables that you create in a special page are actually converted to normal script variables, it's sort of  "visual" dialog to make ones but under the hood they are the same as ones you declare in script.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk