My son wants to make music for games

Started by Slasher, Mon 10/12/2018 08:46:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Hi 

my son Luke wants to start making music for games.

He has recorded a sample atmospheric track and your feedback and opinions are valued.

https://soundcloud.com/user-419264725/atmosphere1

cheers

Slasher

CaptainD

I like the beat, to me the higher pitched noises are a little too high pitched but that could of course be me!  This sounds like it would be the perfect style for a puzzle game.

cat

Since you asked especially for feedback, I've moved the thread to critics lounge.

I'm looking forward to many father-son productions :)

Jojo_the_monkey

I would not call this game music, but rather "house" club music. One good suggestion for improving the skills in harmonic progression is to study and immitate songs and music that your son like. I hope this helps to learn basic structures until he shapes his unique identity.
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

NickyNyce

I think it's the high hats and snares that make it feel less like game music. In my opinion there feels like there is a bit of everything thrown in. It doesn't seem to fit a specific scene. Again, just my opinion, but if he were to remove some of those sounds it may have a better vibe. At the moment the vibe seems to move from dark to cheery at times and appears that it is being pulled in different directions.

I always try to picture a certain area or scene when listening to game music. There just seems to be one or two extra sounds that he can do away with.

Edit: After listening again. Maybe it's just the whistle. The X files whistle that I'm not into? I was never a whistler.

I appreciate the music. Not bad by any means.

Olleh19

Hi, i'm new to this forum and it's my second post. To make game music tell your son to look for midi files of famous songs and import them into his daw of choice. I don't know if he is talking specifically about adventure game music or just in general, but if adventure games is it. Considering the forum we are hanging on  (laugh) i'd advice to get such midi libraries forexample Day of the tentacle exists in all the tracks in various midi formats for the different modules, that were popular around that time.
I mean even if he does not intend to do that type of old school music it's still a great learning tool for orchestral midi/funny/goofy songs.

Try to stay away from huge boomy longtail sinewave kickdrums. That's a no go land. Unless it's heavy metal territory perhaps or Edm. Look for orchestral libraries first hand i would say!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk