Character test for a new game.

Started by Bastruedo, Thu 24/01/2019 15:33:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Bastruedo

Hello everyone, this is my frist post here.
I'm currently working on a game with my girlfriend and making some test, we are trying to decide the type of drawing we want for our game, here are some examples. We need some feedback.
These are or early attemps of pixel art, and stuff.

And this one is what we are going to do probably.

Sorry if there is some gramma error, english is not my main lenguage.
Thanks in advance!

ArsCreativa

Mhhh It's difficult to decide, looks like you haven't decided if the game will be low or high res.
The ones I like most are A and C for the "Mercader" character, and A for the "Carcelero".
The others are too pixelated, or too messy for my taste.

dactylopus

Jim Reed

If this is your first game, go for the smallest size - B.
I like how mercader C looks.

ManicMatt

I think out of the first image, everyone looks good except C and E, which to be blunt, look like a children's drawing  and not in a charming way. I don't mean to offend but it's so contrasting against the wonderful other sprites. My favourites are As.

But ArsCreativa said, what resolution do you want to work with? I focused on my sprites too much, and then later realised how long it takes to make each background, and wished id gone for a lower resolution, on my current project.

Bastruedo

We are currently struggling to decide on which resolution to work. We started on 640*400, and using the sprite A but later on we tried diferent things and got the one in the "chicken suit" that we realy liked. and started working on 1280*720. But it's all new for us and we are testing a lot.
Lower resolution is "easier" to make backgrounds? Thanks for the feedback.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Bastruedo on Sat 26/01/2019 19:10:21
Lower resolution is "easier" to make backgrounds? Thanks for the feedback.

That actually depends on a lot of factors. Like what techniques you use, how much detail, and what program(s) you use. So, I wouldn't let backgrounds be too big of a factor in what resolution you use. If you use similar techniques to how you made the chicken suit image, you should be able to make backgrounds that go with it.

Olleh19

Hi, i think Carceiero B and A looks really cool both, maybe a combination of those.
About  Mercader i think he needs to be re-worked completely, don't  think any of them are any good.
Sorry, i'm not a bad person, i'm an honest person. Art is time, and sometimes you've got to spend a lot of time before you find a drawing that you like, but from own experience i can tell that you "know" when it's good. You never need to ask, usually when something is good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk