Joe Rogan guest discussion thread

Started by milkanannan, Thu 31/01/2019 04:10:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurok

Quote from: man n fist on Wed 06/03/2019 01:20:55
Quote from: Gurok on Tue 05/03/2019 11:27:25
Why is everybody picking on this humble water filter salesman?

I liked Joe Rogan in News Radio. I like his guests, but the few times I've watched (Macaulay Culkin, Elon Musk), Joe's guests have gone over his head.

Haha Macauley going over anyone's head says a lot about them! The Elon Musk interview was interesting. Elon's opinions are pretty simple, but you can tell he's formed them after a lot of thought.

I don't know. There was this bit where Macaulay was trying to talk about whether an artist has the right to change his or her work after it's published and he used Leonardo Da Vinci coming back to change the Mona Lisa as an example. Macaulay tried several times to get the conversation back on track, but Joe just wouldn't stop doing impersonations of Italians.

Yes, I think the Elon Musk interview was interesting, but purely for Elon. Joe didn't really add anything, other than offering the guy a blunt.

Also, Ali, funny you would think Macaulay is centre right. Most people outside of a vegan naturist preserve would call him left leaning.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Stupot

Elon's opinions are pretty simple, but you can tell he's formed them after a lot of thought.

After a lot of acid, more like.

milkanannan

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 06/03/2019 02:33:02
Quote from: Gurok on Tue 05/03/2019 11:27:25
Why is everybody picking on this humble water filter salesman?

I liked Joe Rogan in News Radio. I like his guests, but the few times I've watched (Macaulay Culkin, Elon Musk), Joe's guests have gone over his head.

Haha Macauley going over anyone's head says a lot about them! The Elon Musk interview was interesting. Elon's opinions are pretty simple, but you can tell he's formed them after a lot of thought.

I don't know. There was this bit where Macaulay was trying to talk about whether an artist has the right to change his or her work after it's published and he used Leonardo Da Vinci coming back to change the Mona Lisa as an example. Macaulay tried several times to get the conversation back on track, but Joe just wouldn't stop doing impersonations of Italians.

Yes, I think the Elon Musk interview was interesting, but purely for Elon. Joe didn't really add anything, other than offering the guy a blunt.

Also, Ali, funny you would think Macaulay is centre right. Most people outside of a vegan naturist preserve would call him left leaning.

I think Ali was talking about Rogan - right or center right.  (laugh)

Gurok

He was talking about who Joe Rogan is prepared to talk politics with.

Ali

I will admit, I do not know what the child from Home Alone's politics are. I'm just aware that Rogan has softball interviewed enough reactionary, bigoted conservative "thinkers" for me to have no interest.

milkanannan

I caught about an hour of the Twitter (Jack Dorsey and Vijaya Gadde; Vijaya is head of policy and trust at Twitter) and Tim Pool talk. Very interesting to listen to Vijaya describe the challenges of preserving free speech while also upholding a line of what sort of language and conduct requires intervention. As she says many times, so much of the free speech debate comes down to context, its interpretation, and having a policy that is capable of identifying behavior versus content.

milkanannan

Ben Shapiro was a recent guest. I'm not really sure what to make of that guy. He seems very intelligent and very capable of stringing together a logical series of ideas, and I admire his work ethic and discipline, but several things he supports are hard to get behind. There is a lot of nuance to what he says, but his general his pro-life, pro-private health insurance, pro-gun, and anti-welfare thing just seems sort of out of touch with modern day reality. His whole libertarian "let's privatise everything and just let buddies help each other" approach to public service is just weird. I mean, a system like that works if everyone is Ben Shapiro, everyone is straight and interested in marriage/kids, and everyone has a community their family interacts with on a weekly basis, but if you're not that it's sort of a utopia that doesn't apply. I, however, do appreciate Ben's willingness to talk about his ideas, and he doesn't seem to devolve into a ball of emotional outrage when people don't agree with him. Also the lack of swearing is nice.

Khris

Ben Shapiro is among the least impressive of the TCOTs, mostly because his arguments are all dog shit. When he partakes in any kind of discourse, he does a conservative Gish Gallop (rapidly firing out a barrage of half truths and lies no opponent could possible all address and correct). That's why his moron followers believe he keeps "owning" the other side.

This quote is on point:
QuoteHe is best known for his outspoken and almost entirely inaccurate criticisms of "left-wing" ideas; in particular, he is famous for the phrase facts don't care about your feelings, even though facts don't matter if they contradict his agenda.
(https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Ben_Shapiro)

The shit this guy claims is so dead wrong and so easily disproved that you can only be a fan of his if you never, ever verify or question anything but only blindly follow along.

Edit: Oh, and he's of course a fucking racist: https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/25712847277

Edit2: And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HclaKb5LUYY

Jack

Quote from: man n fist on Thu 18/04/2019 10:51:30
Ben Shapiro was a recent guest. I'm not really sure what to make of that guy

If you're constructing your ideology from names instead of ideas, then you are caught in the cult of personality. Governments and other groups that seek to control large numbers of people use this prominently, because people are much more easily manipulated, and killed, than ideas.

The cult of personality was basically Trump's whole strategy, before he dropped the mask to reveal just another neocon.

Scavenger

Quote from: Jack on Tue 21/05/2019 19:32:49
If you're constructing your ideology from names instead of ideas, then you are caught in the cult of personality.

Nobody hates Ben Shapiro because they think his name is bad.

He has terrible ideas. That's what people don't like. It's not just spooky "Ooohh you don't even know what his ideas are, you just hate him because he's unpopular". No, people have seen what he represents, and they don't like it.

Jack

Quote from: Scavenger on Wed 22/05/2019 19:21:47
Nobody hates Ben Shapiro because they think his name is bad.

He has terrible ideas. That's what people don't like. It's not just spooky "Ooohh you don't even know what his ideas are, you just hate him because he's unpopular". No, people have seen what he represents, and they don't like it.

I was speaking in general. I don't really know who Ben Shapiro is except hearing their name from time to time. Just the context I hear these people's names in tells me they're not worth any time. To others they are the final boss.

Also, I wasn't accusing any of the haters of anything. I haven't seen any of that crap worth addressing. What do you say to someone who talks to flat earther bots for hours?

milkanannan

Quote from: Jack on Tue 21/05/2019 19:32:49

If you're constructing your ideology from names instead of ideas, then you are caught in the cult of personality.

Quote from: Jack on Wed 22/05/2019 20:44:14

I was speaking in general. I don't really know who Ben Shapiro is except hearing their name from time to time. Just the context I hear these people's names in tells me they're not worth any time. To others they are the final boss.

Aren't you contradicting yourself a bit here? On the one hand you are saying people should not dismiss names before hearing their ideas. On the other you're sharing an opinion on people you admittedly have never heard speak before based on what others have said about them. Granted Ben Shapiro is kind of an idiot, but I don't think your approach is consistent or fair.

Jack

Quote from: man n fist on Thu 23/05/2019 03:25:27On the one hand you are saying people should not dismiss names before hearing their ideas.

I was not saying this at all.

When these personalities are linked to the ideas they represent, the personalities have been used to steer those ideas, whether the person is involved or not. Look at Alex Jones. He sometimes covers real issues, but because he also says that martians are monitoring his hair loss, those ideas by extension are tainted, especially if he was one of few people covering them. This is an ancient phenomenon and it is very widely exploited today. It is one of the main reasons why opposition to the system has never gone anywhere, though everyone hates it. Look at Obama, who when campaigning for his first term promised to end the wars in the middle east. He became known as Dronebama. Trump promised the same thing, now by some gigantic coincidence the same movement that got him elected is being steered to invade Iran.

Look also at the Gilets Jaunes, who are successful only as long as they are leaderless. The few times a personality has come from their movement, they have often done a 180 and started subverting it. These people all have families.

Gurok

Bernie Sanders was recently on the show. Nice, long interview with a lot of in-depth replies:

https://youtu.be/2O-iLk1G_ng

Just wondering if anyone thinks he was softballed

Actually, I'm a little annoyed that they didn't touch on how he was screwed over by the DNC (leaked in emails)

milkanannan

Cool - thanks for the heads up. I stopped listening to podcasts for a bit. Will check this episode out!

Khris

That was indeed a great interview.
Now if only Joe Rogan didn't constantly also platform people with abominable views, or plain grifters and liars.

Also, the usual collection of neo-reactionaries / Trump fans in the comments, so don't bother reading those. And funnily enough, one guy who thought that based on that interview, Bernie will probably soon join the alt-right... you gotta wonder which aspect of the alt-right this guy is talking about while ignoring all the toxic nonsense that otherwise defines that "movement".

Edit: also, this: https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/status/1159130987428794374

KyriakosCH

Bernie is awesome, as usual. Hopefully he will be allowed to be the nominee this time & win.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

milkanannan

I'm also digging this Andrew Yang. What a lineup if those two take the president/vice roles next term!

milkanannan

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 07/08/2019 05:32:26
Bernie Sanders was recently on the show. Nice, long interview with a lot of in-depth replies:

https://youtu.be/2O-iLk1G_ng

Just wondering if anyone thinks he was softballed

Actually, I'm a little annoyed that they didn't touch on how he was screwed over by the DNC (leaked in emails)

I finally got around to listening to this. Gurok, yeah wasn't a super intense interview or anything, but why do you say you think Bernie was softballed?

Bernie's on the money on so many subjects. Tying together gun violence and failures of the medical system to be available to people before their conditions progress to 'shooting in public is a good idea' is pretty obvious. Actually his whole identifying corporations as soulless leeches sapping profit at the expense of the public's wellbeing sounds about right.

Gurok

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 11/10/2019 04:31:27
I finally got around to listening to this. Gurok, yeah wasn't a super intense interview or anything, but why do you say you think Bernie was softballed?

I don't think he was. It was a reference to earlier comments about right-wing pundits being softball interviewed on the show. Looking back on it, it was an interesting listen and I'm glad he got some airtime. As one of the most anit-establishment left-wing candidates of the 2016 US election, he had a modicum of appeal to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk