What was your favourite game of MAGS February

New Kid Gotta Steal Somethin' by Durq and VampireWombat
5 (41.7%)
Thrymly Disguised by Blondbraid & Cassiebsg
7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Fri 15/03/2019 13:26:58

Stupot

The winners of MAGS February are Blondbraid and Cassiebsg. Well done, team.

New Kid Gotta Steal Somethin
by Durq and VampireWombat

Thrymly Disguised
by Blondbraid & Cassiebsg

Dressing up
This month's topic was chosen by cat.

February is carnival time, so let's put on some costumes! Some ideas to get you started:

• A cosplayer assembles his outfit for a comic convention
  • A teenage girl searches for the perfect prom night dress
  • Kids need to find hat and scarf for their snowman

In the end someone or something should be dressed up wearing something fancy (or fail miserably trying).

Feel free to use any existing material but let us know which parts you reused and what was originally created for this competition.

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

DBoyWheeler

I might be able to enter this one.  Another of my anthro character sets could be this.

In my mind, I could imagine a skunk lady looking for some fancy clothes to get ready for a nice night with her husband.  (Adding in romance to go with the February/Valentine's motif too.)

I'll be sure to post in the Recruitment thread if anyone would like to join as well.

But in any case...

Challenge Accepted!  (I can't seem to find a good image of the meme, so a text will do.)

Stupot

VampireWombat

Of course I'm going to give it a try.
If I can't think of anything better, I can do something based on Chewy: Escape from F5 and E.T.

Blondbraid

I'd like to see an attempt to make an adaption of the ancient legend of Thor stealing back his hammer from the evil giant Trym.
The story goes that Trym steals Thor's hammer and demands to be married to the goddess Freja in exchange for giving the hammer back,
and when Freja refuses, Thor decides to get the hammer back by going to Trym's castle himself whilst disguised as Freja...
(Here's a link to the full story)

Anyone interested in a collaboration?

VampireWombat

With the upcoming Super Bowl, I've decided to go with my alien idea and use it to explore the viewpoint of sports through the eyes of someone who has 0 interest in sports.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 01/02/2019 13:41:23
I'd like to see an attempt to make an adaption of the ancient legend of Thor stealing back his hammer from the evil giant Trym.
The story goes that Trym steals Thor's hammer and demands to be married to the goddess Freja in exchange for giving the hammer back,
and when Freja refuses, Thor decides to get the hammer back by going to Trym's castle himself whilst disguised as Freja...
(Here's a link to the full story)

Anyone interested in a collaboration?

Having voice-acted Thrym myself I can't help but link this:

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5dW-6nnwM (watch from about the 3 minute mark)

and the continuation is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oPEI7cL4hk
[close]

This is one take on the legend you mentioned from the game "Tales" (made in AGS) by AprilSkies. I wrote the English text for the game and also lent my voice to the Thrym character.

SPOILER ALERT: If you plan to play Tales these videos contain spoilers for the puzzles etc.

Blondbraid

I'll definitively have to put Tales on my To-Play list, it seems like an awesome game from those videos, and good voice acting too!

I'll have to think up a different idea for a MAGS entry though...
I have toyed with the idea of making another game about Roderick Downes, where he
Spoiler
after hearing of the popularity of Pocahontas decides to scam noblemen by dressing up a romani woman and passing her off as an indian princess
[close]
and it'd be a parody on stories like "My fair lady" as well as the often inept and inaccurate stories floating around about the new world.

Anyone thinking this might sound good and willing to join in?

Mandle

Blondbraid, I didn't mean t suggest that you shouldn't do the game because the theme had been used in a different game,

I would have liked to see what you did with it and would even like to voice-act Thyrm again if you went with it.

A different take on something is always interesting.

cat

I'm glad the topic has already inspired a few people!

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 01/02/2019 11:32:01
Challenge Accepted!
That's the right spirit!

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 01/02/2019 14:20:11
With the upcoming Super Bowl, I've decided to go with my alien idea and use it to explore the viewpoint of sports through the eyes of someone who has 0 interest in sports.
Sounds hilarious :-D

@Blondbraid:
I fully agree with Mandle - you and AprilSkies are both great game makers, but each of you with an individual style. I'd like to see your take on the topic.
Of course, if you feel more comfortable with the "My fair lady" theme, that's fine as well  :)

VampireWombat

Quote from: cat on Sat 02/02/2019 14:06:42
Sounds hilarious :-D
Well, I can't promise that. But I did re-watch the first episode of Invader Zim this morning and I'm sure watching more of the series will in some way influence the game.

JudasFm

I'm finding myself with a lot more time on my hands recently, so I might try this. I have my idea sorted ;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 02/02/2019 13:56:49
Blondbraid, I didn't mean t suggest that you shouldn't do the game because the theme had been used in a different game,

I would have liked to see what you did with it and would even like to voice-act Thyrm again if you went with it.

A different take on something is always interesting.
Quote from: cat on Sat 02/02/2019 14:06:42

@Blondbraid:
I fully agree with Mandle - you and AprilSkies are both great game makers, but each of you with an individual style. I'd like to see your take on the topic.
Of course, if you feel more comfortable with the "My fair lady" theme, that's fine as well  :)

It'd great to hear that you'd want to see my take on the tale, and I guess my idea would be different enough,
with more focus on Thor and Loki and you'd mostly play as Loki helping Thor keep up the disguise.

Would anyone be up for a collaboration on this entry? Because while I'd want to do a game, February's a short month and I have some other stuff to deal with, so I'm not sure I have the time and energy to do it all myself.

Durq

I might try to do a four-room game in which a kid has to break into an old man's house and steal a costume and wear it to entertain other neighborhood kids. The old man was once a local-theater actor, so that's why he has a bunch of costumes.

Slasher

Quote from: Durq on Mon 04/02/2019 18:59:39
I might try to do a four-room game in which a kid has to break into an old man's house and steal a costume and wear it to entertain other neighborhood kids. The old man was once a local-theater actor, so that's why he has a bunch of costumes.
Sounds fun ;)

VampireWombat

I noticed that the wording in the rules is different this month than previous months. Are we still allowed to use public domain assets? In making one of my backgrounds I used https://pixabay.com/en/map-of-the-world-earth-world-map-862718/ to make

I figure it's alright, but I want to be 100% sure.

cat

Sure, you can use any material, there is nothing wrong with it. And you don't have to give credit to source material and reference pics you use.
But, if you, for example, use two complete characters from a previous game and three backgrounds from RON or Maniac Mansion Mania, you should tell us, so people can take this into consideration when voting.

selmiak

as the world did exist before this contest you are so out. The right thing to do would have been to create a new world and map this out of course!

just kidding, it looks good and I just want to play this game...

VampireWombat

Alright, thanks for the answers. Now I can make the alien's ship without worry.

DBoyWheeler

I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out of this--since real life is getting in the way at my end, and it's causing stress to my work partner.  I'll have to try again another time.  Or, if nothing else, try out RotN as a substitute for a MAGS competition.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk