5 (41.7%)
Thrymly Disguised by Blondbraid & Cassiebsg
7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Fri 15/03/2019 13:26:58

cat

@Durq
Spoiler
I tried to hide behind the wrong bush at the beginning. And then I needed several tries when escaping the house.
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: cat on Fri 08/03/2019 21:09:44
Spoiler
The character sprites are great and the costume hilarious but the backgrounds felt a bit empty. The puzzles were mostly trial and error for me. It felt a bit unfinished.
[close]

I just played the game instead of just watching the playthrough videos provided by Durq. Could you please be more specific?
Spoiler
Is it mostly the outside backgrounds or the inside rooms too? And is part of the issue because the game should have been half the resolution with sprites that size?
[close]

cat

@VampireWombat:
Spoiler

Are you referring to the backgrounds?
It's about the inside. AFAIR the rooms were huge compared to the amount of furniture.
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: cat on Sun 10/03/2019 19:03:45
@VampireWombat:
Spoiler

Are you referring to the backgrounds?
It's about the inside. AFAIR the rooms were huge compared to the amount of furniture.
[close]
Spoiler
Yes, that's one of the things I feared was a problem due to the resolution compared to character size.  Would something more like this have been better?

[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/YMso.png[/imgzoom]
[close]

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ponch

Good games this month. Fun to play and made good use of the theme. Voted, but it was a tough decision.

I loved this theme and gave my best effort in ages at actually finishing a game in time. I didn't announce it because my track record is so terrible lately. Ultimately, I ended up with about 5/6 of a game when the deadline caught me. No surprise there, I suppose, but it was fun to try my hand at AGS again after a long time away from it.

Nice work by both teams. No matter who wins, it will be well deserved.  :smiley:

Cassiebsg

Hopefully you'll finished soon and we can enjoy it?  (nod)

Durq

Quote from: Ponch on Sun 10/03/2019 23:03:01
Good games this month. Fun to play and made good use of the theme. Voted, but it was a tough decision.

I loved this theme and gave my best effort in ages at actually finishing a game in time. I didn't announce it because my track record is so terrible lately. Ultimately, I ended up with about 5/6 of a game when the deadline caught me. No surprise there, I suppose, but it was fun to try my hand at AGS again after a long time away from it.

Nice work by both teams. No matter who wins, it will be well deserved.  :smiley:

Thanks for voting, Ponch.

Maybe insert the phrase "glass of water" somewhere in your almost-finished game and submit it for March MAGS?

Ponch

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 10/03/2019 23:34:39
Hopefully you'll finished soon and we can enjoy it?  (nod)
I'd like to, but I missed the part about being able to use existing assets, so I was trying to make it all from scratch, old-school MAGS style. The first room is nice, but it gets very crude very quickly as you progress from the starting point. It's practically an MS Paint game by the end. It would need a lot of work to make it presentable outside of a non-MAGS environment.  :embarrassed:

I might rework it at some point in the future when I have the time.

Quote from: Durq on Mon 11/03/2019 00:53:51
Thanks for voting, Ponch.

Maybe insert the phrase "glass of water" somewhere in your almost-finished game and submit it for March MAGS?
You're welcome. I have an idea in my mind that would fit that theme well enough, and now that I know that I can reuse old assets, I think I might be able to make the deadline for that one.  :cheesy:

Mandle

I don't think that's what "using premade assets" means. People can't just enter a game on which 90% of the in-engine work was already done. It refers to stuff like reusing character sprites from another game if your game is a parody/sequel. Or perhaps using stock images from the internet for item/background graphics.

I don't think it applies (or should apply) to things like code for puzzles, rooms in which walkable areas, walkbehinds, object placement, hotspot interaction, and the like, are already completed.

Cassiebsg

Mandle's right, game self needs to be new, reusing assets is just an attempt by our part to make people create more games and not go "oh, I can't draw" or some excuse like that. Also allows for creating sequels, and easily re-use your pre-made main character, something that wasn't possible before.

Then again, all this is on "honour" base, meaning that we really can't "see" that you started your game a month or more ago (unless it's obviously fitting a previous MAGS theme).
Most of us are still creating new art and assets for our games anyway.
I reused and downloaded some assets  on last MAGS since it was sort of a sequel  and it made sense to not use time redoing stuff someone already had made. But game, story and code was all new. If the rules hadn't allowed for that, that game would not exist.

Shadow1000

I actually played the games as soon as they came out. The reason I haven't posted my comments until now is that I am STILL undecided as to the vote! I'll explain why.

Spoiler
Both games had decent graphics. Both games had voice acting. Both games hit the theme spot-on rather than as a forced element in the game just to meet the requirements. However, New Kid had more puzzles and things to do whereas Thyrmly Disguised had one really good puzzle and one arcade sequence and the rest basically watching.

As much as I said that the graphics were decent, Thyrmly disguised has graphics that are so superior that I have to give it extra points. To be sure, we all know that anything designed by Blondbraid is going to crush anything else graphically! In addition, I absolutely LOVED the cat lock puzzle! I loved how at first I was thinking WTF! and as soon as I picked up what was going on, I was able to solve it. Really well done. As I said, New Kid had a lot of decent puzzles. I did not find them difficult or unreasonable but nothing as outstanding as the cat puzzle.

I am still undecided because as I said, I usually go by which game I enjoyed most overall. In this case, it is SO close that I may or may not even arrive at a conclusion by the voting deadline!

[close]

Mandle

I agree pretty much with everything Shadow1000 just said above but I have placed my vote fairly I think despite having been a voice actor in one of the games:

Spoiler
I had to vote for Thrymly Disguised as it just had too many polished touches like the intermediate "Hammer-Time" cuts between each scene, an awesome puzzle that was not just clicking AGS hardwired interactions, and a more charming overall feel...errrr...overall.

New Kid Gotta Steal Something was a great MAGS entry, and would have won out in most fields, and the choice was tough... But yeah...
[close]

Durq

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 11/03/2019 06:16:06

I don't think that's what "using premade assets" means. People can't just enter a game on which 90% of the in-engine work was already done. It refers to stuff like reusing character sprites from another game if your game is a parody/sequel. Or perhaps using stock images from the internet for item/background graphics.

I don't think it applies (or should apply) to things like code for puzzles, rooms in which walkable areas, walkbehinds, object placement, hotspot interaction, and the like, are already completed.

Oh, I see. Sorry about suggesting that.

Thank you very much for the feedback on the game, Shadow1000 and Mandle. 

Ponch

To be fair to Durq, I took his comment as a bit tongue in cheek. Clearly no one should take a partially complete MAGS game and put the final touches on it and release it for a different MAGS (unless completing an abandoned game is part of the theme, which we've done before here, if memory serves). If we were allowed to do that, then I'd have released a LOT more MAGS games over the years.  :=

Stupot

Thanks for the votes so far, folks. Keep them coming. It's still pretty close so it could go either way.

Durq

Thanks to everyone who played the games and voted.

Voting results:

Thrymly Disguised: 7
New Kid Gotta Steal Somethin': 5

Kastchey

Congratulations Blondbraid and Cassie for winning! But also big congrats to Durq and VampireWombat but being such a close runner up.
Great effort everyone.

Blondbraid

This is the first time a game I've worked on has won a MAGS! Thank you to everyone who voted, but Durq and VampireWombat weren't bad either and I voted for you guys!  :)

Stupot

As some of you have already noticed, the votes are in and Blondbraid and Cassiebsg are the winners. Well done, ladies. I'll PM you soon regarding choosing a topic for April.

Unlucky to Durq and VampireWombat. It was a relatively narrow margin, so don't be disheartened.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk