What is a personal message?

Started by Arthur Robin, Mon 18/02/2019 14:10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur Robin

Hi
I am Arthur
I made a game called "An Entertaining Speech" - a demo
Completed game announcement thread says it must be a finished game to be posted there
Not knowing what to do I PMed some users asking for help and feedback (Mainly for playtesting and of course to rate my game)
I made a mistake in understanding what a personal message is
Do not know that my text will be forwarded to your personal emails (which I understood looking at my email)
I thought it is some kind of mechanism on the forum itself
Actually, I do not even know how a forum operates
Sorry for the mistake - my bad for invading your privacy - I understand the value of privacy
New user - do not know the terrain and its rules
I hope all the AGSers I troubled will accept my apology

Also, I think it is difficult for a complete beginner to understand what is what
I searched the forum typing "personal message" but couldn't find a thread explaining what it is
I think someone from the moderators or anyone should start a thread explaining when to use a personal message, what it is exactly, and how to use it wisely
So that another guy won't make the same mistake as me - This situation is embarrassing for me  :-[
I don't even know if I can post this

Still my mistake to proceed not knowing what it means
Sorry and whatever
Cheers

Stupot

Hey Arthur. Don't worry, man. Some people have it set up so that private messages are forwarded to their email but that's their choice. You are allowed to send PMs to people. That's what it's there for.

That said, you did send the same message to a lot of people which sort of defeats the ‘privateness' aspect. It might be better to just make a public post in that case..

Arthur Robin

Okay thank you for the reply
I thought if I message some people (or in this case many people), only a few are going to reply
People are too busy these days
Some replied thank you for thinking of me, it is a good thing reaching out for help and some replied don't be a creep
I honestly do not know what to make out of this

Anyways, I have a question. Can I post my demo game under completed games announcement thread?

Click'd

Up top there's "Help". Clicking on it leads us to http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Personal_messages among other things.
Go there in case you ever have questions about the forum workings again.

Additional information: I have PM set to forward, and that's by choice.

Quote from: Arthur Robin on Mon 18/02/2019 14:32:11
Okay thank you for the reply
I thought if I message some people (or in this case many people), only a few are going to reply
People are too busy these days
Some replied thank you for thinking of me, it is a good thing reaching out for help and some replied don't be a creep
I honestly do not know what to make out of this
Technically, what you did is the same thing spammers do. Send out tons of messages in the hopes that some have the intended effect. The point of a forum post is to give people a CHOICE to react or ignore.

Quote from: Arthur Robin on Mon 18/02/2019 14:32:11
Anyways, I have a question. Can I post my demo game under completed games announcement thread?
A demo is a completed game if you define it as "playable from start to finish".

Arthur Robin

Just now googled the word "Spam" and I realized what I did even though that was not my intention
I thought spam only means a virus  8-0
Phew
Thanks, C.L.I.C.K.

So my game has like 6 stages - I finished only the 1st stage - Does it qualify?

Click'd

If that is the extent of the demo, yes. If you don't have the intent of releasing it as is, no.

Danvzare

Don't sweat it too much. Everyone was a beginner at some point.
I still remember my first time using a forum...   :-X

At least you're learning from your mistakes.

cat

Sorry, I didn't understand that your game is a demo for now. I should have taken a closer look.

Are you going to work more on your game and add the other stages as well? In this case, you could post in the AGS Games in Production board https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=8.0. Just make sure that you follow the rules there and add two screenshots of your game (you can use the same as in your database entry).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk