AGS 3.4.3 released
Current release number: 3.4.3.1

For Android
Spoiler

For developers
Spoiler

Released: 12th February 2019

Previous stable version: AGS 3.4.1 forum thread

PLEASE TAKE A NOTE: In this version "Default" template is now named "Sierra-style".
(Need to make this warning, because several people have asked where did "Default" template go.)

This release is brought to you by:

- BigMC (updates to Linux scripts)
- Crimson Wizard
- morganw

General notes

AGS 3.4.3 is mainly a bug-fixing release, it contains fixes both critical and minor accumulated for the last year. Some of them were part of 3.5.0 development, but since former was taking too long I decided to create an update to 3.4.* branch.
Version number "3.4.2" is skipped because it was used during early development of 3.5.0.

Since this release AGS distribution no longer includes "no-MP3" engine variant and "Demo Game" project source.
1. MP3's patent has expired, which means you no longer should have issues if releasing a commercial game with mp3 audio:
QuoteThe basic MP3 decoding and encoding technology is patent-free in the European Union, all patents having expired there by 2012 at the latest. In the United States, the technology became substantially patent-free on 16 April 2017. MP3 patents expired in the US between 2007 and 2017.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing,_ownership_and_legislation)
2. "Demo Quest" game is an ancient project which has not been updated for many years. It does not look that good either. I recommend searching for contemporary open-sourced AGS games instead, for now.

Changes in the Patch 1:

Engine:
 - Fixed serious mistake that would cause crashes in plugins which export their own managed types for game script.

Linux:
 - Fixed compilation against recent Allegro 4.4.3 release.
 - Updated prebuilt binaries to be compatible with Debian 8 (jessie) and higher.

What is new in 3.4.3

Common features:
 - Removed restriction preventing GUIs to be larger than the game's screen.

Editor:
 - Added missing audio options to Default Setup.
 - Fixed GUI and Room editors sometimes having larger scrollable area than necessary.
 - Fixed editable area was not resized when GUI size changed.
 - Fixed TextWindow GUI's elements could be deleted or moved in the editor with key controls with no means to restore them.
 - Don't modify filesystem permissions in Compiled directory when compiling the game. Editor no longer requires non-standard "takeown.exe" utility.
 - Fixed Windows Explorer was sometimes locking the game files during compilation.
 - Fixed rooms not being rebuilt when running game just created from a template.
 - Fixed translations were not updated or available at all for the test run unless the game was fully rebuilt.

Engine:
 - Allowed engine to return integer of "0" value from script functions that are "void" by nature, for compatibility reasons. This may fix running particular old games.
 - Fixed const-sized char[] arrays in managed structs did not work correctly and could even cause engine to crash.
 - Fixed some compilers could instigate a crash in the on_event callback if it was called before the first room is loaded.
 - Prevent game from crashing if there was an attempt to use a non-existant font index.
 - Fixed crash when calling DisplayTopBar with a title longer than 200 characters.
 - Fixed DisplayTopBar() was displayed on screen for the time calculated from the length of its title rather than its message text (regression).
 - Fixed built-in inventory screen could crash the game again (regression).
 - Made engine fallback to defaults if config contains invalid graphic scaling setting.
 - Fixed crash in the Software renderer which was occuring if it failed anytime after setting display mode but prior to initializing scaling filter.
 - Fixed graphic artifacts looking like thin vertical lines around sprites when running OpenGL renderer (aka "texel leaking").
 - Fixed OpenGL not displaying tinted sprites at all if tinting shader does not work (now will display sprites without tint).
 - Fixed 8-bit sprites could have broken colours if game is run using Direct3D or OpenGL.
 - Fixed broken colours during fade-in and fade-out in 16-bit games.
 - Fixed possible crash occuring when switching in and out the game window while game is being shut down.
 - Improved a warning message displayed when sound driver was not initialized, and added a hint for players on how to supress it.
 - Fixed double error message displayed if the game has an unsupported data format.

Linux:
 - Fixes Linux game launch script (fixes issues with itch.io client).

Android:
 - Long press on "Back" button now calls in-game menu (was displaying exit confirmation).
   This change was made to counter removal of "Menu" button on many modern devices.
 - Fixed long press on "Back" and "Menu" buttons not handled correctly on some devices.

WinSetup:
 - Always provide at least two standard fullscreen modes for selection, even if graphics driver failed to return a list of supported modes.

Templates:
- Updated 9-verb MI-style to 1.6.3.

Mehrdad

Great!!!!.Nice job! Thanks a lot, CW and others for your hard works
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

eri0o

Definitely upgrading to this one  8-)

Edit: The room editor resize is limited horizontally in pixels for me when zooming in, so I get an empty area between the Room Editor and the project explorer. My monitor has resolution of 2560x1440 pixels.

Crimson Wizard

Ok, there's a bug with room area not resizing to full available extent when you zoom in. The workaround is to tweak the splitter (border) between room editor and other panels a little.

I will fix and update this version tomorrow without changing version number.

Crimson Wizard

Here's the hotfixed editor exe: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjzk7hmmzjotmgl/AGSEditor-3.4.3-roomed-hotfix.zip?dl=0

This should fix the room not fully stretching to the window if it's zoomed in. Please tell how this works for you.

Crimson Wizard

I updated the packages with this hotfix, and also moved downloads to our release page on github.com. Guess that should be better than downloading from dropbox.
(still cannot access AGS file server for some reason)

eri0o

Just to let you know the fix worked for me :D Using this version on my game now.

Snarky

I tried compiling and running the Awards client with this AGS version, and it crashes on the first call to the agssock.dll sockets plugin. The same project works fine in the last AGS 3.4.1 build:

QuoteAn exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x6250BE8C ; program pointer is +1004, ACI version 3.4.3.0, gtags (944,98)

The line that causes the crash is:

Code: ags
  connected = !server.Connect(ip);

(Where server.Connect() is a call to the plugin.)

CrashInfo.dmp

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 10/02/2019 20:38:59
I tried compiling and running the Awards client with this AGS version, and it crashes on the first call to the agssock.dll sockets plugin. The same project works fine in the last AGS 3.4.1 build:

Is it possible for me to test this on actual source?

Snarky

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 10/02/2019 21:34:56
The code is here: https://bitbucket.org/agsa/ags-awards-source/src/master/

Where may I get the proper agssock.dll? The one I found is missing some API it seems (like "blocking" property for server).

Snarky

It should be the one in the project that I linked to in my first post: https://bitbucket.org/agsa/ags-awards-source/src/master/AGS%20Project/agssock.dll

(The various versions of this plugin that exist and/or have been released is too complicated to get into.)

Crimson Wizard

I did something tremendously dumb there, here's fixed version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx8z870c5f9hf7j/acwin-3.4.3-prepatch1.zip?dl=0

would need to post a patch.

Snarky

Crimson Wizard

I released 3.4.3 Patch 1, but since it was less than a week since the first release and the fixes are pretty important I did not create a new thread and just merged the patch here.
All download links in the first post are updated accordingly.

Changes in patch 1:

Engine:
- Fixed serious mistake that would cause crashes in plugins which export their own managed types for game script.

Linux:
- Fixed compilation against recent Allegro 4.4.3 release.
- Updated prebuilt binaries to be compatible with Debian 8 (jessie) and higher.

eri0o

This is just a curiosity. Are savegames from AGS 3.4.1.15 compatible with the ones from 3.4.3.1 ?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 17/02/2019 01:31:38
This is just a curiosity. Are savegames from AGS 3.4.1.15 compatible with the ones from 3.4.3.1 ?

They should be compatible both ways because format did not change in between.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk