Oasis

Started by OgreVorbis, Mon 11/02/2019 04:08:22

Previous topic - Next topic

OgreVorbis

Alright. Here is my first real game done with AGS. I made a couple other dead end projects using AGS when I was a teenager, so most of the skills came back to me pretty well.

The game appears to be a survival type game, but there is more hidden under the surface. I think this could probably be taken farther to make it more interesting.

This game was made mostly as a test for my skills rather than to be an actual adventure. The story was more of an after thought. I will be adding an intro cut-scene to make the story fit better. As it is, the ending is a little confusing because of the lack of the intro. Once that is added, I think it will be a pretty good game.

I'd like some feedback. Don't play it if you really think you'll like it though :) At this point I am not up for major changes, but small suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind that I am not an artist and the story is not the main focal point. In my next game, I'll plan that out much better. Think of this more as a test rather than a full featured game.

If you do like the game and would like to help me out, I'd appreciate that. What I am most interested in at this moment however, is someone who could help with my dithering tool. I plan to use that in my next game, but it's not working exactly right. I posted it in the Advanced Tech forum.

Enjoy!

====================

I've got two ideas for my next game.
The first would be continuing work on a game I made a long time ago where you play a cat. It has most of the graphics and characters, but no story, so. . .

The second idea is a game about a hikikomori. A hikikomori is a neohermit or someone who never leaves their house. It starts out normal, but over time, you see the psychological state of the guy deteriorate and you have to help him escape before he goes mad.

====================

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13s3pkEGFC7SdMcN5wGZh_j_KdEEcMNoc

Here are some pics:

OgreVorbis

Anyone played it yet?

Stupot

Oh, I somehow missed this post before now. This game looks interesting. I'll give it a go sometime today.

sofiaaq

Hi, I tested it a little but I haven't been able to finish it, yet.
I'm not sure what kind of feedback exactly are you looking for but I'll tell you the things I thought as a player would make it a better experience:
- defining unhandled events would help me know if what I tried didn't work, instead of making me think the game didn't process it because I clicked elsewhere
- the walking around being impossible to skip is a little cumbersome after I've been back and forth the same screens more than once (and I have, because I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, so I keep going around trying to find stuff I can interact with to advance), because it becomes a waiting game
- the non-interactive cactus seem to be because they have a differente palette and they pop in the screen

Still, it's a nice little game for a learning project and I can see you put attention to keep it interesting. I'd like to get to the end of it, so I'll probably try a little more tonight. Good luck!

Danvzare

I'm loving those backgrounds.
I know they're just photos with the colour count lowered, but I love how you've mixed pixel art into them.

OgreVorbis

Quote from: sofiaaq on Sun 31/03/2019 18:49:47
Hi, I tested it a little but I haven't been able to finish it, yet.
I'm not sure what kind of feedback exactly are you looking for but I'll tell you the things I thought as a player would make it a better experience:
- defining unhandled events would help me know if what I tried didn't work, instead of making me think the game didn't process it because I clicked elsewhere
- the walking around being impossible to skip is a little cumbersome after I've been back and forth the same screens more than once (and I have, because I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, so I keep going around trying to find stuff I can interact with to advance), because it becomes a waiting game
- the non-interactive cactus seem to be because they have a differente palette and they pop in the screen

Still, it's a nice little game for a learning project and I can see you put attention to keep it interesting. I'd like to get to the end of it, so I'll probably try a little more tonight. Good luck!

- unhandled events - yeah, that does need to be worked on to make it more obvious certain things are not to be interacted with
- some of the sprites are just for decoration, so they should be worked on a bit to make them blend in better
- in terms of the walking - I know it can get annoying after a while. Go into the menu and you can adjust the speed to be plenty fast. The player will enter a running mode when it's set above a certain threshold. I don't want to make it so that you can just click to a new scene because that's unrealistic (if that's what you meant). It might be funny to have the character after he's been in the same scene a few times, say something like, "I've been here so many times. I'm just going to start running for a bit." - and he changes into run mode in that scene. Maybe it would just be weird?

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 31/03/2019 19:44:58
I'm loving those backgrounds.
I know they're just photos with the colour count lowered, but I love how you've mixed pixel art into them.

Thanks. I'm not an artist, so glad you like it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk