Scroll a string and change letter. [SOLVED]

Started by , Mon 18/02/2019 14:43:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo_One

Morning.
I'm wearing the parser and I have a problem with a string. I would like to go through it letter by letter and change one that has an accent sign. But I find it impossible to compare because the compiler gives the following error: Scroll a string and change letter. I use this code.

Code: ags
while (i < entrada.Length)
  {
    if(entrada.Chars[i]=="á")
    {
      entrada.ReplaceCharAt(entrada.Chars[i], 'a');
    }
    if(entrada.Chars[i]=="é")
    {
      entrada.ReplaceCharAt(entrada.Chars[i], 'e');
    }
    if(entrada.Chars[i]=="í")
    {
      entrada.ReplaceCharAt(entrada.Chars[i], 'i');
    }
    if(entrada.Chars[i]=="ó")
    {
      entrada.ReplaceCharAt(entrada.Chars[i], 'o');
    }
    if(entrada.Chars[i]=="ú")
    {
      entrada.ReplaceCharAt(entrada.Chars[i], 'u');
    }
    i++;
  }

Khris

1. you need entrada.Chars[i]

2. ReplaceCharAt expects the index as int, and it returns the new string since strings are immutable.
You need entrada = entrada.ReplaceCharAt(i, 'e');

Snarky

Quote from: Khris on Mon 18/02/2019 14:58:24
1. you need entrada.Chars[i]

Neo_One posted the code without any [code] tags, which means that [i] disappears, turning the text into italics. I've taken the liberty of editing the post to wrap the code in the necessary tags.

Neo_One, please do so in the future, using [code=ags]your code here[/code]. (If you want to post tags in the text itself, like I've done in this post, there's another trick to it.)

Crimson Wizard

Also, if I remember correctly, in these conditions you need to use single quotemark instead of double because single marks mean character and double mean string, which cannot be compared to type "char" returned from Chars:

if(entrada.Chars[i]=='á')

Quote from: Khris on Mon 18/02/2019 14:58:24
2. ReplaceCharAt expects the index as int, and it returns the new string since strings are immutable.
You need entrada = entrada.ReplaceCharAt(i, 'e');

Would not Replace("á", "a") work better? It replaces all cases of first string at once. So instead of the for loop the code could be like:

entrada = entrada.Replace("á", "a");
entrada = entrada.Replace("é", "e");
entrada = entrada.Replace("í", "i");
entrada = entrada.Replace("ó", "o");

Neo_One

Thank you, but now gives error in the IF, where is the letter with the accent sign. GlobalScript.asc(40): Error (line 40): undefined symbol '-13'.
The number changes depending on whether it is á, é, etc... Is there a problem with accent signs?

OK Snarky I'll take it into account next time.

Neo_One

I solved of I've solved it this way.

entrada=txtPrompt.Text;
    acentos = entrada.Replace("á","a");
    entrada=acentos;
    acentos = entrada.Replace("é","e");
    entrada=acentos;
    acentos = entrada.Replace("í","i");
    entrada=acentos;
    acentos = entrada.Replace("ó","o");
    entrada=acentos;
    acentos = entrada.Replace("ú","u");
    entrada=acentos;

Many thanks to everyone for the inconvenience :)

Crimson Wizard

Neo_One, you are doing extra work there, you can do simply entrada = entrada.Replace("á","a"); that will have same result.

Also please tell if that actually works, because tbh I am not sure how well AGS deals with these letters.

Regarding earlier problem, that could be a bug in AGS compiler...

Neo_One

Not Crimson.  If it is done that way the compiler does not do well the substitution and changes the letter to ?.

I think it may be a mistake not to support the parser words with accented signs.

Snarky

Quote from: Neo_One on Mon 18/02/2019 22:26:09
Not Crimson.  If it is done that way the compiler does not do well the substitution and changes the letter to ?.

That seems really unlikely. These two versions:

entrada = acentos;

And:

entrada = entrada.Replace("á","a");

Should always give the same result in entrada.

The only thing I can think of that could conceivably make a difference is how you input the code. If you copy-paste one version and type the other yourself, I wonder if the symbol could be stored differently in the text, so that in one version it doesn't match the character in the String.

Neo_One

It is necessary to look at letter by letter because it is not known which parallels will be used by the user who will carry accent signs, and if two or more are joined it ends up breaking.
If you do it that way, in the end the interpreter does not recognize the word because he ends up transforming it into, for example: gestión inventário, in the chain it ends up being "gesti?n invent?rio".
It is necessary to do it this way so that it refreshes to each step and not of errors.

Crimson Wizard

What we are saying is that

entrada = acentos;

is performing same operation as

entrada = entrada.Replace("á","a");

Both of the code above do exactly same thing in the end. The only difference is that in the first case you store the changed string in "acentos" and then store it in "entrada" too, in the second case you store the new string in "entrada" right away.

The error with "?" signs might be caused by something else, rather than the difference in this code.

This is not very important, if your code works for you that's okay, but I thought I'd mention this because it feels like there's a confusion about how strings work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk