Collateral Jelly

Started by Ghost, Sun 24/02/2019 03:41:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Wham: Hugs to you :)

Cyrus: Glad you enjoy the retro switch! It really was the way to do this I think :)

Quote from: Cyrus on Tue 26/02/2019 22:24:36
1) Given that the main character is a mental patient, will there be "unreliable narrator" elements? For example, visual hallucinations (or could it be that the aliens themselves are a hallucination  ;) )?
There will be... something, that's just to be expected; rooms may look a bit different depending on your current state of mind, or an item might have different descriptions... maybe even uses. That's not quite "unreliable narrator"- it's more or less the
way a mind can work. Face a problem while you are already overwhelmed and see how it apparently scales up- face it with a calm mind and it can look quite different. Being wired wrong can be quite subtle and you won't even notice it yourself.
The aliens, though? They are not a hallucination, they are a hive mind. It's important not to mix that up.

Quote from: Cyrus on Tue 26/02/2019 22:24:36
2) I also remember Once Upon A Crime 2; have you considered reviving that one as well, or is it 100% dead?
For now, the goal is to make a one (1) teh game. Focus on one thing and get that done. I am quite hesitant to revive more of the old projects, actually (hells, next thing would then be Daemons in the Attic), and especially OUAC2 was doomed from the start. I wouldn't mind remaking the first game, though, bring the spriteart up to par and then add in some of the things that would've been "Part 2". Sort of a "deluxe version" of the original. But that's far in the future.
But no project is ever really dead, even if all it leaves is ideas to take from it :)

BunnyShoggoth

Awesometastic, mental patient+aliens is a combo that just cannot fail, gives me a real Twilight Zone vibe!

It reminds me of one game idea of my own, inspired by the movie "Beautiful Mind", about paranoid schizophrenia, with the protagonist encountering a number of weird characters and Broken Sword/Gabriel Knight-style puzzles seemingly leading up to some big revelation, but the point would be to not solve the puzzles and instead cling to ordinary life (with the character returning to sanity in the good ending and going completely off his rocker in the bad ending).

Ghost

Update in original post! -> https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56955.msg636602218#msg636602218

Guys, I just once again want to say thanks to everyone who commented, was interested, and just made me feel like coming home. I'm really happy right now.

Bunny: That idea of yours sounds pretty interesting, make it! I'd play the hell out of it for sure (or NOT play it at all, instantly winning :D )

Kastchey

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 25/02/2019 23:21:04
Truth to be told, this has not aged well :D
Spoiler
[close]
Hah! I think I can see what you mean :) The character's detailing is cute though, especially the facial expression.
Still, that lo-res alien wins ^^

Creamy

Spoiler
[close]
I like it better without the black outlines. Still, it looks good to me.
The new colors seem more vivid.

Tabata

May I ask about how endet Willow in that situation or will that be part of/included in the game?
By watching her talkanim I can say that  I would believe her everything she tells.

It looks soo nice

Ghost

Quote..I can say that I would believe her everything she tells.

Hi Tabata! Pleased to meet you! Willow here!
I told Ghost there was a sale on Nerf guns somewhere and I got a few minutes at least, YAY!

OooooOoo your site has cup smileys!
(wtf) :-* :-[ :P :P

:-D (laugh) (laugh)

Now, listen. This is a secret and you can tell no-one else. Okay? Everyone else, do NOT read this. Only Tabata.
Good?
You swear?
Gooooood. Now, see, the thing is, I am NOT mad. I am not INSANE. I am, actually, and in truth, and for reals, also an alien. Imma an ALIEN SPY.
I was send to avoid the apocalyse, see? It's all a RUSE.

That's why I am wearing this jacket too, it's the perfect way to hide my alien hands. See? No, you DON'T!
And that is the best! Since you can't see my alien hands they are concealed weapons.
And since you can't see them, you don't know when I am using them, and THAT means you don't feel it when I hit you, and THAT means...
I can just walk around smacking aliens without them knowing why they fall over!
I'm clever like that.

Hope this answers your question. And I like your avatar! We have some mice here too, in the room-with-the-electric-thing. Always chew through the cables, so
I like mice a lot because then nothing works anymore. Mice are AWESOME.

Hugs,
- "Willow"*

__
* My name is actually unpronouncable for the juman tongue.

I think he's coming back!

Gepard

This looks super cute! Good luck!
Drink up me 'arties! Yo ho!

Mandle

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 26/02/2019 07:56:27
Ghost is back!
Gost is making a game!
Ghost is making a NEW game!

The three best pieces of news so far this year! \o/

How was i unaware of these developments?!

Hey, Ghost, if you need a menacing deep voice for the alien overlord I volunteer!

Ghost

Hi, guys.

Back on Friday the 8th I was brought into the hospital for a health-related emergency, which was provisorically patched over in the past days. I'm back home now and have recovered sort of okay-ish. Not yet in peak shape but I'll be picking up the pace soon enough.
There's...
Well, there's some things to talk about, and I'll do that soon enough in another post. For now, we're back in the hauntings.

Mandle: That *is* an offer I may actually take your word for. remember when the real high-class LucasArts adventure games used to have these lucurious, fully voiced-over, intros? Back when CD was just establishing itself? If I can get a few guys and maybe a vountarily Willow I'd actually enjoy a brief voice over intro A LOT. Tell me your thought on that one though, would it be worth it, if only for a small joke, or would it look out of place these days?

Mandle

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 19/03/2019 14:24:45
Mandle: That *is* an offer I may actually take your word for. remember when the real high-class LucasArts adventure games used to have these lucurious, fully voiced-over, intros? Back when CD was just establishing itself? If I can get a few guys and maybe a vountarily Willow I'd actually enjoy a brief voice over intro A LOT. Tell me your thought on that one though, would it be worth it, if only for a small joke, or would it look out of place these days?

Yeah, even just an intro would be fun, if that's the time-period feel you are aiming for.

LimpingFish

Sorry to hear about your trip to the hospital, Ghost. Hope everything is okay.  :)

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 19/03/2019 14:24:45
remember when the real high-class LucasArts adventure games used to have these lucurious, fully voiced-over, intros? Back when CD was just establishing itself?

I was just thinking about the original Day of the Tentacle intro the other day, and how it always gives me the warm fuzzies when I watch it. I think it's mostly down to the combination of the weird midi music and blatant background hiss the speech has. It just screams 1993!

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ghost

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 21/03/2019 20:40:53
Sorry to hear about your trip to the hospital, Ghost. Hope everything is okay.  :)

I really feel the need to speak out what has happened and why. I'm a bit hesitant to do it here but what other place is there? This forum is among my oldest haunting grounds and many of you know me, or at least my persona, for a long time. Some of you have even teamed up with me in the past to make games or just have a pleasant chat.
If this needs to be moved or removed because it violates thread rules, I'll gladly do that; for now I put hidey brackets in case you don't want to read about health issues.

Spoiler

It was a severe hyperglycemia derailmaint. I'm a type 1 diabetic for over 20 years now and in the past few years I've had to learn to live with depression, too. Funny thing, depression, can make you lose all interest in caring for yourself.
In short, I had neglected my diabetes for a long time, and the result was a full-on breakdown with blood sugar levels of well above 700 (100 is the default for a healthy person, or a well-adjusted diabetic). I spend two days unconscious
in intensive care, with machinery pumping all sorts of stuff into my body to keep it going on. Spend another two days there until the chamical reactions that make a body work were in balance again. It was a close shave, if I might share that here, I was this close to shutting down for good.
What I remember is a long phase of hallucinations as the brain started to overload and that was some freaky shit. Doctors later told me that there was poison building up everywhere and I had been close to entering a loop where all the neural flares just keep firing again and again until they fizzle out.
For some reason I had it in me to keep going, and so I did.
One thing that I haven't done yet is just openly tell you guys: I am suffering from depression, and it impacts my everyday life. To me that felt like shouting: "Oi, I am an attention whore! I am very sick and may kill myself, so you better be very nice to me!"
But maybe that was the mistake, maybe I should've told my story earlier and maybe that could've changed things.
There is a lot I need to do now. I'm seeing a doctor to recalibrate my insulin intake, and will in time return to normal sugar levels. I'm also seeing someone to treat my depression. The patterns I have created for myself aren't healthy and I need to take more care of myself. There are options all around me- even if I don't like them they are all there- medication and therapy and whatnot. It's all there.
I'll get better, and if anything, I have reached a point where old beloved hobbies sound exciting again, and aren't something to run away from. Shit grows roses; I should know.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Sorry to hear about it. Hope you get better soon.
Spoiler

I've had to drag my husband to the hospital, twice, due to the same problem... so I kind of know what you've gone thru / are going through. Feel free to drop me a pm if you need/want to chat more about it.
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Retro Wolf

Ghost

Thanks guys. That really means a lot.

And to not end the day so sober: Today saw much progress on a puzzle where you get to convince an alien that it can not see you as long as you are covering your eyes.
It is going to be very droll.

VampireWombat

I think that may possibly be the best sounding puzzle I've ever heard for an adventure game.

Kweepa

Spoiler alert: that's a puzzle from Zaphod's portion of Infocom presents Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy by Steve Meretzky. (The alien in question is the infamous Bug Blatter Beast of Traal.) Although I suppose in that game, the alien takes it as read that he can't see you and no convincing is required.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

dactylopus

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Depression is horrible, I know.  I'm glad you are able to talk about it freely, even that can be very difficult.  That said, I wish you well and hope for the best.

As far as the game is concerned, I'm very excited about it.  It sounds like it will be fun, original, and fantastic.  I'm also glad it's providing you with a creative outlet to focus on.  Keep it up!

Frodo

Ghost, so sorry to read about what you've been going through.   :cry:
It's brave of you to post about it here on the forums. 

I'm glad you're getting help now, and I really hope you get better soon. 

As for the game, that puzzle sounds brilliant.  Really excited for the game.   :cheesy:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk