MAGS March “Glass of Water” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/03/2019 07:09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS March?

Hydrate by Retro Wolf
10 (83.3%)
Flukie by VampireWombat
0 (0%)
Suspicious Mind by Creamy and Kastchey
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Wed 17/04/2019 04:15:34

Stupot

I'll be wrapping this up about 8am Wednesday morning Japan time, so that's midnight UK time.

VampireWombat

Creamy

Here you go:

It's untested and probably buggy as hell but finishable.

Suspicious mind

WARNING: contains violence and strong language.

Kastchey

Don't worry, if Stupot shows up we'll scare him away. With a Gamera. :D

Edit:
It's up, nice! And a little screenshot to go with it:
[imgzoom]https://i.ibb.co/hL6b0wz/SM-scr01.png[/imgzoom]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Creamy on Tue 02/04/2019 23:59:44
Here you go:

It's untested and probably buggy as hell but finishable.

Suspicious mind

WARNING: contains violence and strong language.

Cool game. How do you save?

Stupot

Time for the voting. Three games this month.
Thanks for the last-minute entries. Now we have a contest on our hands.
Please vote using the poll above.

Hydrate
by Retro Wolf

Flukie
by VampireWombat

Suspicious Mind
by Creamy and Kastchey

Let me know if I've missed anything out.

Kastchey

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 03/04/2019 02:52:13
Cool game. How do you save?
Mm.. Possibly.. you don't? I made GUI elements for loading, but I'm not sure if Creamy had a chance to add the script.
We had a tight time budget :<

Best if he confirms, though.

Creamy

QuoteMm.. Possibly.. you don't? I made GUI elements for loading, but I'm not sure if Creamy had a chance to add the script.
We had a tight time budget

Exactly. I've coded the load button but not the save one.
The closure was really hectic. That's the charm of MAGS competitions  (laugh)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 03/04/2019 14:02:12
QuoteMm.. Possibly.. you don't? I made GUI elements for loading, but I'm not sure if Creamy had a chance to add the script.
We had a tight time budget

Exactly. I've coded the load button but not the save one.
The closure was really hectic. That's the charm of MAGS competitions  (laugh)

Completely understood. Do you think you might add this in and re-release the game, even though the contest is closed? I'll explain why this is important for this game in my comments.

Cassiebsg

I'll join Shadow in the request for a saveslot...  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Shadow1000

Here are my comments on the games:

Hydrate:
Spoiler
Great graphics and animation. Decent puzzles, even if on the easier side. I liked the combination of inventory and dialogue and things to do. Cool backstory and how it relates to the theme of the month.
[close]

Flukie:
Spoiler
Some nice graphics and animation. Not much gameplay but I realize it's not easy considering the deadline! There certainly was a glass of water in there  :)
[close]

Suspicious Mind
Spoiler
Outstanding work! I love the graphics and effects, and I love the challenge of knowing that you are always ONE step away from dying! It creates a real feeling of tension and compulsion to do things right and continue. The theme of the month, while not central to the game, definitely plays a role.

Unfortunately, I did not complete the game. A LOT of the game is trial and error (I don't want to give spoilers but you'll see what I mean pretty fast) and learning what's going to set off the villain. Since any wrong move results in death, and that requires a complete restart, I only had so much patience to go through the same motions so many times before reluctantly having to turn the game off. If there were some checkpoints if not a save function, I would LOVE to try again. To summarize: puzzle solving includes trial and error. If the result of error means repeatedly restarting and replaying the current progress, many players will lose patience.
[close]

My vote went to:
Spoiler
Hydrate. Not only is it the most complete, polished and playable game, I give bonus points to the fact that the MAGS theme is so central to the game rather than just being injected into the plot somewhere to meet the requirements
[close]

Honestly, it should serve as a model for how MAGS entries are done well...

Kastchey

I can understand how not being able to save makes the game hardly playable. Adding f5 and f7 hotkeys to invoke the standard save and restore GUIs should be a quick fix, I think :)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Kastchey on Wed 03/04/2019 16:22:26
I can understand how not being able to save makes the game hardly playable. Adding f5 and f7 hotkeys to invoke the standard save and restore GUIs should be a quick fix, I think :)

I actually tried hitting some function keys just in case. I got the F9 which restarted the game. Better than getting shot :)

Creamy

I understand it too and I always meant to add it.

I don't want be unfair to the other contestants but I don't want to annoy the players either.

On the game page, the mirror link now takes you to a post MAGS version. Click on the floppy disk in the lower right corner to save.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 03/04/2019 16:51:22
I understand it too and I always meant to add it.

I don't want be unfair to the other contestants but I don't want to annoy the players either.

On the game page, the mirror link now takes you to a post MAGS version. Click on the floppy disk in the lower right corner to save.

Hmm...I don't see the updated version...

Kastchey

That's because the updated version is in the mirror, rather than the main download... where it says: "If the download fails, try the mirror."

I think Creamy wanted to keep things fair and ensure that anyone who plays the game first downloads the version he uploaded before the final deadline.

Cassiebsg

Even with the save game...  :-\
Spoiler

I can't figure out how to take cover.  :(
[close]

Kastchey

Hint 1:
Spoiler
Your partner says he needs some info, but you know what happens when you try to speak to him directly.
[close]
Hint 2:
Spoiler
You need to be vocal, but without drawing suspicion.
[close]
Solution, in case hints didn't help much:
Spoiler
Talk to the criminal before your partner bursts in to give him a hint where his target is.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Spoiler

Okay, that (the last clue) helped (barely)...  (roll)
think the problem is that we're used to be "frozen" when in speech mode. That we don't even think about many of the options.
[close]

good job, eve if slightly too frustrating. Also the save game might not help, if you pick the wrong option at the start.  (roll)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk