MAGS March “Glass of Water” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/03/2019 07:09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS March?

Hydrate by Retro Wolf
10 (83.3%)
Flukie by VampireWombat
0 (0%)
Suspicious Mind by Creamy and Kastchey
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Wed 17/04/2019 04:15:34

Kastchey

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 03/04/2019 19:17:32
Spoiler

Okay, that (the last clue) helped (barely)...  (roll)
think the problem is that we're used to be "frozen" when in speech mode. That we don't even think about many of the options.
[close]
Spoiler
You're absolutely right. We even talked about adding some sort of hint to the player that they can move around during dialogues, but as with many other stuff, there was no time.
I think many solutions would have been a bit more obvious if we had time for more visualizations and polish, most prominently that last puzzle with the entry team bursting in, but this will need to wait for a post-MAGS release :)
[close]

Creamy

Spoiler

QuoteOkay, that (the last clue) helped (barely)...  (roll)
    think the problem is that we're used to be "frozen" when in speech mode. That we don't even think about many of the options.

You're absolutely right. We even talked about adding some sort of hint to the player that they can move around during dialogues, but as with many other stuff, there was no time.
I think many solutions would have been a bit more obvious if we had time for more visualizations and polish, most prominently that last puzzle with the entry team bursting in, but this will need to wait for a post-MAGS release :)

Yes, that was one of the ideas behind the game.That's why we had the characters speak in the background and put many interactive hotspots at the beginning.
Maybe we should be more direct about it and simply write an explanatory text first, like Retrowolf did in his game.
"in this game you can - and sometimes you must - act during dialogs".

For the last dialog, given more time I think we'd have added feedback after each attempt. Something like "Jack made a spectacular entrance into the room but he couldn't see the kidnapper and missed him with his stun grenade. The kidnapper killed you the next moment"
[close]

Quotegood job, eve if slightly too frustrating. Also the save game might not help, if you pick the wrong option at the start.  (roll)
Thanks Cassie. We may try to balance it later.

About the other games:

Flukie
Spoiler
The dialog is funny but the search for Flukie is extremely short.
I like the character art. Flukie's brother reminded me of the imp from Quest for Yrolg.
[close]

Hydrate
Spoiler
Another treat from Retrowolf. Nice graphics and fair puzzles.
The dialogs and names are silly and hilarious.

The GUI is rather unusual but works perfectly well. I guess this could work on a tablet.
[close]

Retro Wolf

Flukie
Spoiler
I am a bit of a fan of surreal humour but would like to have seen more, the artwork is pretty good.
[close]

Suspicious Mind
Spoiler
A bit harsh on the player, but it is an interesting idea and I would definitely check out a more polished and complete version.
[close]

Thanks to everyone who checked out my game!  :)

VampireWombat

Thanks for the comments. At some point I'll probably take the time to make a longer version of Flukie with more areas, actual puzzles, and the addition of Twitch. Unfortunately I just didn't have enough time once I finally got into the groove of making it.

Shadow1000

Thanks to VampireWombat for the download link.

I actually did not use the save, after all that! Last night I got stuck at the same place as Cassie, and the hints got me past there. I have the same concern that was already mentioned and honestly, I don't think I would have solved the end without the hints.

morganw

Hydrate
Spoiler
I wasn't quite sure how the sexual language fitted into the game, not that I mind, but I think it would be better to either double down on that approach and use it as a central theme, or rely on it less to build the environment. But overall this seemed very well put together and I enjoyed it. For me, this is definitely the most well rounded and complete entry.
[close]
Flukie
Spoiler
I do like these kind of abstract starts, although it was over a little a quickly and I wasn't quite sure what happened. Bonus points for having an animated intro.
[close]
Suspicious Mind
Spoiler
I really like the idea and presentation, but I also got stuck on the last task and wouldn't have worked it out without a hint. I think in its current form there are some interface issues and the game needs to establish a precedent about how it operates mechanically and possibly provide some more clues on how the antagonist might react. But I did keep playing for quite a while and I'll go against the grain by saying that having a save feature you can use at any time probably takes away from the overall experience. A major positive for me, even in it's current state I think this game builds a strong narrative, which also meant I wasn't too frustrated by the trail and error approach I had to take.
[close]
I was torn between two, but went for:
Spoiler
Hydrate
[close]

HanaIndiana

Great games everyone! I liked the different takes on the theme.

Stupot

Last chance to get your votes in. Make it count.

Stupot

The voting is over and we have a runaway winner:

Hydrate by Retro Wolf!

Well done, sir. You'll be contacted soon about coming up with a topic for May.

Thanks a lot to all participants and voters.

Kastchey

Retro Wolf

Thanks to everyone who played my game! I hope you guys will like my selected theme for May, I've had it in mind for a long time.

Cassiebsg

Congrats and looking forward to see what it will be.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Shadow1000

Creamy

Shadow1000

selmiak

Retro Wolf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk