Touch screen issues

Started by GuyCC, Wed 06/03/2019 21:46:31

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyCC

Let me just say a huge sorry in advance if I am asking the question in the wrong place.  I am not attempting to develop anything AGS, I am just trying to play a number of AGS games on a touch screen Windows machine (a Surface Pro) and am encountering the same issue on each of them.  It's happened enough that I am thinking it could be an issue inherent to the engine.  I was considering attempting to make a simple AGS program myself just to test it but thought I would ask her first.

The issue itself seems to have been raised before in this tread;

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=43438.msg578005

However I didn't want to resurrect a thread from 2011 so I thought I would post a-new.  Sorry again if this was the wrong thing to do.

The issue seems to be that, even though mouse input from the touch pad or a physical mouse works fine, input from the touch screen is so greatly magnified that it's hard to put the cursor anywhere but the edges of the screen.

I made a video of the problem to show to the Microsoft answers forum as I am chasing this with them too. It can been seen here;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M6oYpiBdTr9Y8FvX7

This issue isn't exclusive to AGS games.  I have a copy of Dragon Sphere from GOG that runs via dosbox and has this problem, so maybe there's some shared dll or something. It also doesn't happen to some other full screen low-res programs like SCUMMVM.  Running windowed does fix the problem but, without a window that be resized, it does make it awkward to make the image large enough to be actually playable.

As far as AGS games go I have encountered this problem with the Steam editions of Primordia, A Golden Wake and The Blackwell Legacy. I also have seen it in the version of Ben Chandler: Paranormal Investigator! hosted here https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1529/.  I've not tried any others.

Dualnames

Hey guy, I'm not 100% sure but having a hunch http://primordia-game.com/Files0/lightgine.rar can u try this one? It is made with the newest version of AGS, just move around, see if it has the same issue.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

GuyCC

Hey there,

Thanks for getting back to me and for providing that download.  No dice I am afraid though, the behavior is unchanged;  it works correctly with my mouse pad but any movements with the touch screen just fly to the edges.

GuyCC

Scratch that, the issue occurs when using the Direct3D 9 and Software Renderer drivers but not the OpenGL driver.  That works correctly!

Don't suppose it's possible to enable OpenGL in the older games?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: GuyCC on Thu 07/03/2019 20:46:29
Don't suppose it's possible to enable OpenGL in the older games?

You can place acwin.exe from AGS installation into any game folder and run.
Existing winsetup.exe will launch old game setup, so you need to run "acwin.exe --setup" from the command line to get new settings.

GuyCC

Wow, well yes, that has solved it.

It's not perfect.  Some taps don't register on the first attempt, keeping the default resolution produces a very blurry image regardless of scaling option and using a resolution over 1440 x 900 causes the image to exceed the screen.  However using that resolution and being patient with my taps makes these games actually very playable via the touch screen!

Thanks so much guys!

Any idea what might be wrong with the other driver options?  I want to chase this with Microsoft if possible.  I still feel that, if the touch pad can handle it, the touch screen should too.  Besides, as great as this fix is, it only works for AGS games and, like I said, I have seen it in others.

Still, thanks again!

eri0o

The blurry is some Windows 10 scaling setting. You have to disable somewhere. I am sorry for being unhelpful because I don't remember the setting. Please don't disappear, there is another build of the engine for you to test soon.

GuyCC

No worries, I think I can afford to hang around for a bit  :grin:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk