My translation of H.P. Lovecraft (collected works) is out...

Started by KyriakosCH, Wed 27/03/2019 22:06:54

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Congrats on the completion of the project  :) must feel good to be done

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 31/03/2019 22:54:55
Quote from: Ali on Sun 31/03/2019 22:07:03
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 30/03/2019 11:21:46
Lovecraft isn't a hack, but he has various issues with his writing.

Yeah, I was wondering about this. Lovecraft has an exceptional horror imagination, but he's not really a particularly good writer. (Or at least, he wasn't to begin with.) Translating his over-wrought prose and phrases like, "nighted, penguin-fringed abyss," must be quite frustrating.
I actually don't remember having any difficulties with Lovecraft's works when reading them in English, but then again, I had no problem following the plot of Final Fantasy XIII, so I suppose I'm not the best to judge on weather something is convoluted.

Anyway, I'm actually grateful for Lovecraft using a lot of purple prose, because his descriptions of the titular mountains in At the Mountains of Madness
and comparing them to the paintings of Nicholas Roerich is what introduced me to one of my absolute favorite artists.

Never heard of this guy, but that artwork is spectacular. Must have had some influence on the artwork in Out of this World (one of my favourite games of all time - still remains a completely original gaming experience):

KyriakosCH

^Thanks!

And Another World is one of the most important games for me. I was entirely sunk into its world when i was 12-13.

Such a sad (yet open) ending too.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

milkanannan

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 01/04/2019 17:19:12
I was entirely sunk into its world when i was 12-13.

Me too! When I was playing it I seriously existed more as that character than as myself.  :-D

Anyway, sorry to derail. Hope the translation project leads to lots more work.

Retro Wolf

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 01/04/2019 16:20:52
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 31/03/2019 22:46:09
Stephen King has some powerful short stories, but imo usually he is a hack
In my opinion, Stephen King is an exceptional writer, but a terrible story teller.
To better explain this, Lovecraft is an incredible story teller but a terrible writer.

I've yet to find someone who is a master at both skills. But then again, the number of books I've read is only in the double digits. So there's bound to be someone out there.

He has a great imagination, but terrible at endings.

KyriakosCH

Another pic of the first volume of the Lovecraft translations :)

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk