Windows run error

Started by Slasher, Sat 09/03/2019 09:44:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Any ideas why this error should appear just before game runs?

320 x 200
AGS Editor .NET (Build 3.4.1.15)
Fill whole screen

I had previously saved as a Template. Loaded new Template and got no error...

ManicMatt

This sounds to me like Windows doesn't like you writing to wherever your project is saved. I don't have any projects in my windows program folders because certain programs need to be run as administrator to write to that location for some infuriating reason. I'm not doing that every time so I just have my projects in documents, or in a folder on my desktop.

Slasher

All my games are saved in my documents...

ManicMatt

Hmm, well either try running AGS as administrator by right clicking the exe and you'll see the option there, or move your saved game folder to the desktop and manually find it in AGS because the location moved so it won't show up in recent projects. Then see if you still have this problem. Just to rule it out.

Unless anyone else has any better ideas?

Crimson Wizard

This error is reported after running winsetup when it was unable to save new data to config.
(The error code is weird, not sure if its even relevant here.)
Config is written to %USERPROFILE%/Saved Games/game name/acsetup.cfg, not where project is installed.

Maybe file cannot be overwritten (see if you can edit it or delete yourself), or the folder has a weird name.

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 09/03/2019 09:44:55
I had previously saved as a Template. Loaded new Template and got no error...

Not sure what you mean by this, are you saying you have this error with older game but not with new one made from same template?

Slasher

With this game I made a Template of it... At some point the game come up with the error as shown when running it... I created a new game using the saved Template and it never comes up with the error when i run it...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 09/03/2019 13:26:08
With this game I made a Template of it... At some point the game come up with the error as shown when running it... I created a new game using the saved Template and it never comes up with the error when i run it...

Aha, I see.

Well, this simply means that error does not depend on game itself, but something happened to the config file in the path I mentioned above (%USERPROFILE%/Saved Games/game name/acsetup.cfg).
Possible reasons from the top of my head are:
- file is locked by another process;
- the path contains some symbols that program cannot understand for some reason;
- disk error (?)

Like I said, if this error still bothers you, try if you can edit or delete that config file yourself, maybe that will hint what's the actual problem is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk