Something Seeps

Started by Bavolis, Mon 25/03/2019 01:48:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavolis

Something Seeps is a psychological/body/monster horror game that will feature shocking, graphic death scenes and adult storytelling. It is based on the short story I wrote years back called Knee Deep: https://www.wattpad.com/40205418-knee-deep-short-story. As much as I love AGS and it treated me very well for The Knobbly Crook, I've decided to rework Something Seeps in Unity. It's an engine I want to learn, so I am going to use Something Seeps as my learning project.

A father and son must come to terms with their tumultuous history, devastating family loss, and a past that will not stay buried. Memories are slippery, violent things and lying to one's self can be deadly.

I don't have an estimate yet for the length of the game or the release plans, but I'll update as I progress. I do have a full story to tell, expanded significantly from the short story. I also have enough content in mind to do a full horror series, depending on how fast I can create.

AnasAbdin

I could never expect less class and art from you. This is really going to be great. I can't wait. Just a little question since I'm super careful about spoilers: Is the game going to get spoiled if I read the short story?

Bavolis

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Mon 25/03/2019 02:49:27
I could never expect less class and art from you. This is really going to be great. I can't wait. Just a little question since I'm super careful about spoilers: Is the game going to get spoiled if I read the short story?

Thank you! And yes, it will be horribly, horribly spoiled. :)

TheFrighter

Good! After a fantasy game, an horror one is welcome!  :)

_

jahnocli

That second shot is a great composition.
Life is a puzzle, a quest and an adventure

Bavolis

Quote from: jahnocli on Mon 25/03/2019 10:36:34
That second shot is a great composition.

Thanks! I'm going to try to push for uncomfortable horror angles throughout this one.

rongel

Looks great (as always)! Is this going to be a commercial game? 

Good luck with the project!
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

Bavolis

Quote from: rongel on Mon 25/03/2019 15:34:59
Looks great (as always)! Is this going to be a commercial game? 

Good luck with the project!

Thanks! I haven't decided what it will be yet. I'll probably charge a couple of dollars for it just so it gets treated like a "real" game by the game sites, but I have to also see what I need to do for Eidos to be OK with me doing this outside of work. I'm sure it will be fine, but sometimes contracts can be tricky.

FireFlower

Looks and sounds interesting! :)
Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

shaun9991

This sounds right up my alley! Very cool - looking forward to playing it :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Bavolis

Thank you, folks! I look forward to trying to scare the crap out of you.

milkanannan

That style is unmistakably yours. Really looking forward to this. 8-)

Bavolis

Quote from: man n fist on Sat 30/03/2019 06:05:39
That style is unmistakably yours. Really looking forward to this. 8-)

It's my curse! Every one of those wood panel lines was drawn by mouse. Soooo slow. Thanks! :)

Blondbraid

I had to read the short story, and I must say it was an intriguing idea with a great and terrifying twist at the end!
Spoiler
Was it meant to be an allegory for dementia? It felt a lot like that with the old man's memories shifting and taking a life of their own.
[close]
It will be interesting to see what you make of it in the game, the screenshots look fantastic!

Bavolis

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 01/04/2019 11:54:02
Spoiler
Was it meant to be an allegory for dementia? It felt a lot like that with the old man's memories shifting and taking a life of their own.
[close]

Spoiler
Yes. My biggest fear is dementia, so any horror story about people losing their grasp on reality has a bigger impact on me than something with ghosts/monsters/etc.
[close]

Thanks! I'll be expanding on the short quite a bit, so while it will share a lot of key elements and characters, it's going to be a much bumpier road for poor Jeremy.  :)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Bavolis on Mon 01/04/2019 12:44:40
Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 01/04/2019 11:54:02
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Yes. My biggest fear is dementia, so any horror story about people losing their grasp on reality has a bigger impact on me than something with ghosts/monsters/etc.
[close]

Thanks! I'll be expanding on the short quite a bit, so while it will share a lot of key elements and characters, it's going to be a much bumpier road for poor Jeremy.  :)
Interesting to know, I think you did a great work of getting the theme across thorough the descriptions and dialogues, and I can definitively see how that could be used to great effect in a game where you get to walk around and interact with the environment!

Though I would advice that if you plan to go into more detail on the dark topics hinted at in your story, like bullying and abusive family homes, it could be nice to have a detailed content warning,
because I know people who can handle gruesome death scenes but have a hard time with more realistic psychological traumas and prefer a heads up beforehand.

Anyway, it'd be really cool to see more of the backstory for the characters and how they ended up where they were at the start of the story,
Spoiler
plus it'd be exciting to explore more about what the different mementos meant to the main characters and where they came from.
[close]

Bavolis

Yeah, I have plans to go a lot further with the backstory and sorting out which things have deep meaning and why. I do plan to have a content warning and you're not the first to suggest it. :)

Blondbraid

That's great to hear, I look forward to your next update! :)

The Suitor

This is great news! I remember reading Knee Deep  years ago and loving it. You had it up on your Something Seeps site. Cant wait for this one.

Bavolis

Quote from: The Suitor on Wed 03/04/2019 18:02:24
This is great news! I remember reading Knee Deep  years ago and loving it. You had it up on your Something Seeps site. Cant wait for this one.

That's been a while! If Knee Deep works out, I'll probably adapt some of the other shorts from that era as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk