'So Many Space, so few lazers' demo feedback.

Started by ArsCreativa, Sat 30/03/2019 07:58:06

Previous topic - Next topic

ArsCreativa

Hi!
Today I'm lauching a small demo of my comedy Sci-fi game project, "So many Space, So few Lazers".
I'd really appreciate to receive some feedback about it, so I can be able to improve things before I go much further.
It's a self-extracting 7z, and if you like it, or have some comment or idea, don't hesistate to contact me.

Por cierto, puedes elegir jugar en inglés o en español  :wink:

Thanks!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/96zhxgiq8dbe3jv/SoManySpace_Demo_V0.1.exe/file

And remember:

cat

I'm not a native speaker, but shouldn't it be "So much space, so few lasers"

ArsCreativa

Quote from: cat on Sat 30/03/2019 08:05:49
I'm not a native speaker, but shouldn't it be "So much space, so few lasers"

It's a reference to an old 90' movie quote, but I'm not sure anyone gets it...  (roll)

MischievousGameDev

Hello!

First off I want to say I haven't had a chance to try the demo, but all in all I really like your chosen art style and the title is fantastic.

ArsCreativa

Quote from: MischievousGameDev on Mon 01/04/2019 20:44:40
Hello!

First off I want to say I haven't had a chance to try the demo, but all in all I really like your chosen art style and the title is fantastic.

Thanks!. I'd love to hear what do you think about the gameplay.  :smiley:

MischievousGameDev

Alright I'm back after trying out the demo!

I really enjoyed the concept and the execution, art is still awesome. The whole story so far is pretty interesting and the puzzles were probably my favorite part. They were out there but grounded enough they made sense. My only critique is that the reading speed is too fast. As the controls screen, the screen with the rating, and speech text zoom by while I take my time reading.

That's my only critique but overall the art, design, coding, and controls were extremely well done. When you release it shoot me a pm and I will definitely be playing. You have done a great job so far and I can't wait to see the finished project!

Good luck with the rest of it and keep putting that much love into it!

ArsCreativa

Thanks! Nice tip about reading time, I'll change the TextReadingSpeed value a bit lower.

lorenzo

Hi, ArsCreativa! I tried the demo, here's some feedback.

The graphics are lovely! I like the characters' design and the animation is very fluid â€" I just love the protagonist running animation, it's hilarious!
Backgrounds art is good, although the perspective on the ship is a bit weird.

Being able to run by double-clicking is a nice feature, I wish more games had it.

A few annoyances:

I'm not a fan of the interface, there's too much clicking. It would be nice to have some keyboard shortcuts for the interactions.

The communicator is a bit annoying to use. Why can't we just click on the label ("Intercommunicator", "Scanner", etc.) instead of having to scroll through every option to select the one you need?
Also, while talking to Alabama, in an instance the text at the bottom got cut off.

On the subject of text... the text window is huge! It often covers the head of the talking character.

Another small annoyance: there's no distinction between the waiting cursor and the regular pointer.

--

Anyway, mine are only small complaints. I loved the demo and I will gladly play the game when it's done! The story is intriguing, the art is awesome and there is some nice humour too!

ArsCreativa

Thanks a lot, Lorenzo! There's a lot of useful information in your post  :smiley:

selmiak

I tried it and can only echo lorenzos opinions on the communicator, give us a clickable exit on every screen of the communicator and a clickable back button on all the deeper layers too.

artwise, it looks okay, the intro was nice, but there are some think grey outline around the object in the scene. I had this too when resizing png images with tranparency in them. Just make the image the complete background in photoshop before resizing, when the image is a layer photoshop interpolates the border of the image with the transparency outside of the canvas and thus you have semitransparent borders in your image that AGS handles like this...

also
Spoiler
how do I overload the regulator?!
[close]

ArsCreativa

Thanks, Selmiak. Definetly I'll check the PPCC usability.

Spoiler

You need to connect the lazer's battery to the regulator panel.
[close]

Creamy

Hi Ars Creativa,

Some more input on the demo:
Spoiler
I found the art gorgeous, the animations nice and and the dialogs amusing.

The only puzzle was far-fetched IMO.
Why can't you simply shoot the regulator? Why does an overload work better? And now, she has no more weapon to fight the bad guys.

Other minor annoyances:
- the font is too big.
- the communicator controls, as pointed above.
[close]

Best wishes on your intergalactic journey  :)

ArsCreativa

Thanks, Creamy!

I'm working in the communicator usabilty, and yes, I'll change the font to a smaller one.

Spoiler

The idea is to apply an electrical high tension overload into a working circuit. The lazer discharge can destroy them, and that's the reason the battery doesn't works on the door switch,  the control panel, or the comm panel.
I hope this explanation will convince you. ;)
And the lack of a weapon is part of the next scene. I hope you're interested in watching it.  :grin:
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk