AGS Engine Versioning

Started by tampie85, Sun 06/06/2021 15:00:57

Previous topic - Next topic

tampie85

Hi,

As you might have seen I'm working on a new design for the website and some feedback I got is to display the version (and the release date) more prominent.

What I currently designed is to only have the main release number (3.5.0) everywhere; menu, breadcrumbs, landing page, etc.
E.g. : https://new-site.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ags-engine.php

When you actually go to the downloads section, I have included the exact patch number (3.5.0 - Patch 10).
https://new-site.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ags-engine.php#downloads (click on windows)

I did this because it looks aesthetically nicer.

Is this acceptable, or is it a must have to show the patch number everywhere throughout the site for clarity?

eri0o

I think the correct is to use just AGS or Adventure Game Studio, instead of AGS Engine. Usually AGS Engine means only the runtime used for running games instead of the whole thing (the Editor, ...).

So the link would have just AGS 3.5.0 or AGS 3.5.0.32, but not AGS Engine 3.5.0 or AGS Engine 3.5.0.32.

I think using the full numbers is best, but I don't know how they are updated (e.g., if it's too much trouble to update on each stable release).

I looked the website and it has specific engines separated from the Editor, but those listed haven't been updated for years. It's better to offer just the Editor zip and installer downloads and let people enter the forums if they need any other specific binaries.

I think more specifics would have to be answered by CW though.

Crimson Wizard

I think it's essential to display what we call a "friendly version name", that is - 3 digit version and a tag (e.g. patch) like 3.5.0 P10 or 3.5.0 Patch 10, with the date of the latest update. The reason is that people may want to know if there were updates since they downloaded, and patches are released sometimes months after the initial release.

4 digit numbers may be too much for common users. Latest digit is usually important only for bug reports, and they may find it in About dialog in the editor or in the engine's log.

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 06/06/2021 19:20:45
I think using the full numbers is best, but I don't know how they are updated (e.g., if it's too much trouble to update on each stable release).

Last digit is updated whenever there's a "official" public release, because there has to be a way to distinguish builds if there are any fixes or new bugs.

tampie85

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 06/06/2021 19:20:45
I think the correct is to use just AGS or Adventure Game Studio
You are right, sorry. It'll be called AGS in the next release of the design.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 06/06/2021 20:03:53
I think it's essential to display what we call a "friendly version name", that is - 3 digit version and a tag (e.g. patch) like 3.5.0 P10 or 3.5.0 Patch 10, with the date of the latest update.

That makes total sense, thank you. In the next release of the design I'll call it "3.5.0 Patch 10".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk