Author Topic: MAGS May "What are they doing in there?" (OPEN)  (Read 876 times)

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
    • I can help with animation
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • I can help with characters
    • I can help with play testing
Re: MAGS May "What are they doing in there?" (OPEN)
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2019, 19:19 »
Hmmmm... Sounds like a lot of research fun... Or maybe excuses to just watch awesome movies... Either way, best of luck! All of those movies are pure class!

The makers of Stranger Things basically did pretty much the same, as did J.J.Abrams when he made Super 8, but then they did a LOT of work to make sure their final products were not just reference-filled fluff (arguably)...

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
The first season of Stranger Things felt mostly like a mix of Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg stuff. Especially Firestarter and E.T.
Super 8 didn't seem too much like any specific movies at least. I did pull my copy of Super 8 out as a possible influence. As well as Little Monsters, Fright Night, Silver Bullet, and The Willies...

But yeah, I'm trying to have it more of an 80s movie feel than being references. Specifically with a group of 2-4 boys having some kind of adventure. It's still up in the air on what kind of adventure, though. I know where the game will begin, but where it leads has several possibilities.

« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2019, 04:43 »
@VW You could frame it so that these boys all have their smartphones taken away from them, so they have to go and find something to do the way we used to have to. Then they come across their mystery in a more 80s way.

Slasher

• slasher
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Slasher worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2019, 06:02 »
@VW You could frame it so that these boys all have their smartphones taken away from them, so they have to go and find something to do the way we used to have to. Then they come across their mystery in a more 80s way.

You should have been around late 50's and the 60's... I remember having so much fun... Car tyres, making go carts, old bomb sites, bread and milk, bread and dripping, tin bath, coal fire, houses covered in cement dust, pea shooters, catapults... Happy days  (nod)
« Last Edit: 14 May 2019, 06:06 by Slasher »

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2019, 14:10 »
But that would mean completely changing the beginning, the one thing I do have planned out. And changing every other vague idea...

edit: It did at least make me think about changing the location of the main adventure. So thanks for that.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2019, 14:45 by VampireWombat »

DBoyWheeler

• Maverick Hunter D-Boy at your service!
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with story design
    • I can help with voice acting
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2019, 21:42 »
I'm trying to work on my game as much as possible, but due to my chaotic work schedule, I'm gonna be cutting it close.

If I don't make it before the deadline, I'll just treat it as a stand-alone really short game.

[Update] I'm getting the feeling I might not make it, but again, I'll still work on it and treat it as a regular short game.  Heck, I could look at past MAGS competitions and use their themes as stand-alone short games--if nothing else, as proofs of concept for some of the characters I got as adoptables (er, long story).

[Update 2] Okay, it's now obvious I'm not gonna make it in time.  I'll work on the game idea later on and, as stated earlier, treat it as a stand-alone short game.  If it weren't for my crazy work schedule, I might have made it in the end.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2019, 00:56 by DBoyWheeler »

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 13:13 »
So, how's everyone's game doing?  1 week left to go...

Only progress I really have is figuring out ways to lengthen the start of the game. Hopefully I can find my groove this weekend...