The Joker

Started by KyriakosCH, Thu 04/04/2019 03:51:32

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

The trailer is very good. Is there a chance that this will be a decent film?
They don't reveal much in the trailer, which likely is part of the reason it is a good trailer.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

It does look good. I wonder if I can keep up my record of not having seen any DC film since Dark Knight Rises.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 04/04/2019 08:26:40
It does look good. I wonder if I can keep up my record of not having seen any DC film since Dark Knight Rises.
The Snyder films are pretty bad, but Wonder Woman was great and Aquaman is proabably one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. Seriously, Aquaman is definitively something you should watch.

The Joker certainly looks interesting, though the moment I saw him have a love interest I got worried they'll have her death be what triggers the Joker's final transformation.
It plays into the whole Women in Refrigerators trope, and I just feel that even if you personally don't have a problem with female side characters only existing in order to get hurt in order to give male protagonists something to revenge/angst over, I still wish people would call this out just for the sake of how overused it is. Like, I've seen this so often in action movies that whenever I see the hero have a happy relationship at the start of the movie, I'm able to tell exact when his girlfriend is going to die, who is going to kill her and how the hero is going to react to it, because this trope is just that overused and it simply kills all suspense for me.

I just hope that this movie will take a different direction, because I'd much rather see a man's gradual decent into madness and embracing chaos on philosophical grounds rather than yet another comic book character who's pushed into action because of a dead love interest or similar trauma, and there are so many different things you could do with a character like the Joker, and in my opinion at least, the Joker is the most interesting when the writers give him a certain degree of ambiguity to his actions and morality.

KyriakosCH

Well, yes, I doubt they will have some very interesting trigger for him to become the Joker. Or allow for interesting projection...
Apparently he had to take care of his mother and then met a girl and was routinely being beaten up. Not very inspiring ^_^

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 04/04/2019 08:26:40

Go see Shazam!

KyriakosCH

Not sure if people just randomly beat up clowns in 'Merca. Going by the trailer it is the norm  :=

VampireWombat

I'd say most cases of clowns being beat up wouldn't be random. And most likely the highest number of those beat up would be Juggalos. Or clowns that resemble John Wayne Gacy or Pennywise.

Dualnames

I've seen the trailer about 20 times <3
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

milkanannan

Well it's an interesting concept, but Joaquin Phoenix is hit or miss (HER was great; I'm still here not so much). Just hopes this doesn't turn into a predictable New York City romance story gone wrong.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: man n fist on Sat 06/04/2019 05:14:23
Well it's an interesting concept, but Joaquin Phoenix is hit or miss (HER was great; I'm still here not so much). Just hopes this doesn't turn into a predictable New York City romance story gone wrong.

I agree. I don't think i actually ever liked him in anything (at least not leading roles). But he seems to fit the role for this movie. Script isn't depended on him, so i remain hopeful  8-)

Crimson Wizard

Hm, never really liked most of the superhero/villain comics which seem to be shallow in my opinion, with the exception of Batman universe, because its allows to make things grounded and realistic and add interesting characters (well, they are mostly all crazy in this way or another, but I guess this is a price to pay). Since they started making new generation of comic films everyone seem to be trying to make a"grittier" version, but so far Batman films were only ones successful in this imho.

KyriakosCH

Maybe because Batman's superpower is having loads of money  :=

Bane was a cool villain in the recent trilogy. Also gave birth to a lot of quality memes  8-)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 04/04/2019 17:44:21The Snyder films are pretty bad, but Wonder Woman was great and Aquaman is proabably one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. Seriously, Aquaman is definitively something you should watch.

I haven't seen either, but I watched some small part from Wonder Woman, and a video made by critic who complained about the ending that ruined everything in his opinion. I could not tell whether he was right or wrong in regards to the movie in particular since haven't seen full movie, but found his point very interesting. He was saying that WW's concept was that she believed human nature is good and that it is some external entity (Ares?) forces them to war. Later she had a moment of realization that this may not be true. But then they turn things upside down again and reveal actual Ares whom she fights in a final battle.

This kind of "fighting evil with fists" is perpetually annoying me in movies, because it makes the concept of evil very shallow. Make the "devil" a physical being and let heroes beat him up, that is so much simplier than solving morale dilemmas.
Maybe this is why I noted recent film "VVitch", where the devil does not confront people physically but affects mentally without showing himself, which is not very common thing in american films as far as I noticed.

KyriakosCH

Going from a reviewer of the trailer, batman still is (sort of) in the movie. It is the kid at 1.40 or thereabouts. His father likely is the one talking on tv shortly before that.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 06/04/2019 13:31:21
Going from a reviewer of the trailer, batman still is (sort of) in the movie. It is the kid at 1.40 or thereabouts. His father likely is the one talking on tv shortly before that.

I had a thought it could be Bruce Wayne in childhood, but then Joker must be quite old when he meets Batman in this version of timeline?

Blondbraid

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 06/04/2019 13:13:06
Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 04/04/2019 17:44:21The Snyder films are pretty bad, but Wonder Woman was great and Aquaman is proabably one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. Seriously, Aquaman is definitively something you should watch.

I haven't seen either, but I watched some small part from Wonder Woman, and a video made by critic who complained about the ending that ruined everything in his opinion. I could not tell whether he was right or wrong in regards to the movie in particular since haven't seen full movie, but found his point very interesting. He was saying that WW's concept was that she believed human nature is good and that it is some external entity (Ares?) forces them to war. Later she had a moment of realization that this may not be true. But then they turn things upside down again and reveal actual Ares whom she fights in a final battle.

This kind of "fighting evil with fists" is perpetually annoying me in movies, because it makes the concept of evil very shallow. Make the "devil" a physical being and let heroes beat him up, that is so much simplier than solving morale dilemmas.
Maybe this is why I noted recent film "VVitch", where the devil does not confront people physically but affects mentally without showing himself, which is not very common thing in american films as far as I noticed.
Yeah, I'm not going to deny that there was a pretty generic big CGI boss battle at the end of the Wonder Woman movie, and that her ending the war by killing the god of war kind of undermined the message of the movie as a whole, but if you can look past a somewhat weak ending, the rest of the movie is great. Gal Gadot does a great job in the lead role and it's great fun to see a heroine from another world explore our regular world but without coming across as stupid, and it's just so refreshing to see a genuinely empathetic protagonist in a blockbuster Hollywood movie, who likes children, feels sorry for the wounded and tries to see the best in all people, and the supporting cast and visuals are equally good.

But I guess Wonder Woman also matters to me as a woman, since as I mentioned before, good war-movies with female leads who are allowed to be heroic without constantly being threatened by gendered trauma (or women being omitted altogether) are rare and hard to come by, and WW is set in WW1, a rather unique setting for a superhero film. Wonder Woman is also the first female superhero to get her own movie in decades, the last movie featuring a female superhero before that was Halle Berry's Catwoman, which was bad enough to earn her a Razzie award. So at least to me, WW felt like a breath of fresh air and it was great to finally see a female superhero who was able to be the hero of her own story on the same terms as any male actionhero.

But even if that part doesn't matter to you, Wonder woman is still worth watching for the strong cast, good action and bold choice of the WW1 setting I mentioned before, because it was fun to watch and I can't think of any other superhero movie like it, and despite stumbling on the finishing line with the message the movie still did a good job with contrasting the idyllic life on the Amazon island with both the good parts and the bad in the human world.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 06/04/2019 13:54:07
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 06/04/2019 13:31:21

I had a thought it could be Bruce Wayne in childhood, but then Joker must be quite old when he meets Batman in this version of timeline?

Yes.
According to some youtube videos, Joker may be the one who kills batman's father in this movie.
Something imo of a downer is that apparently the plot is partly based on the 80s movie "The king of comedy", with Deniro. I never liked that movie (Deniro is in this new Joker film) and hope the rumor isn't true.
But yes, despite the trailer being cool, it may end up being a pretty dull movie. Don't forget that the trailer for Venom sort of looked cool too, yet the film was ridiculously comedic and all dark moments in the trailer were a ploy  :=

Babar

I don't understand. Is this good?
It looks like something someone would do if instructed to make a "Joker trailer in the mood of the Batman movies" as a joke, even down to the "basically the whole plot is laid out in the trailer" trope.

Guess I'll wait and see.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Retro Wolf

Anyone seen it? I enjoyed it, very disturbing film.

Jack

There was a little too much hype to it, so I will probably give it a while. I do wonder if this was the idea for viral marketing from the start, produce something that's sure to attract controversy, rather than generating controversy the "usual" way.

It could still be interesting. Everyone knew how Anakin Skywalker ended up, but the exact HOW got a lot of butts in the seats.

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 06/04/2019 15:48:41
Gal Gadot does a great job in the lead role

Terrible. Wonder woman is an amazon in canon, right? Then someone went out and found the skinniest little girl in hollywood for the role. Glad to see someone liked aquaman too. ;) They spent a lot of money on that film.

How do you mess up sharks with frikkin' laser beams attached to their heads? Why is it that DC can't seem to make anything non-goofy, unless it's batman-related?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk