Notre Dame

Started by Blondbraid, Mon 15/04/2019 22:35:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Has anyone else seen the horrible news?
Notre Dame is on fire, and is badly damaged too! I'm still struggling to take this in, that this building, which has withstood centuries, several wars and has been saved by Victor Hugo himself, has fallen victim to this.

And I never got the chance to see it in person before all this happened.  :~(

Sinitrena

I have, and I'm devastated. I was lucky enough to visit Paris in 2013 and I will never forget the amazing masterpieces of art and architecture.  :~(

But let's not think too much of the horrible pictures of the flames but remember the Notre-Dame that stood for 800 years and that will hopefully not be completely lost and that might be rebuild and stand strong again one day for another 800 years and more.

Blondbraid

Wow, that's some great pics!

Let's hope they can restore it!

Khris

Far-right fuckwits are already accusing Muslims of deliberately causing the fire.

Stupot

Yeah. This is sad news. I've also never been there up close. As Sinitrena says, they'll probably rebuild but it won't be anything like the old building. They'll probably feel the need to modernize it and it will look super sexy for about 10 years before going out of fashion.

Snarky

Man, what a loss to world heritage! I feel fortunate that I had a chance to visit several times before the destruction.

Presumably they will rebuild (and unlike Stupot, I would expect them to stay as true as possible to the old design), but it will never be the same. Though I do take some comfort from remembering a trip to Korea, where guides would point out buildings and bridges they said were hundreds of years old, that looked to be in remarkably good condition. When asked, they'd say something like "Oh yeah, it burned down a bunch of times, and was completely destroyed by the Japanese or the Korean War, but we always rebuilt it!" A matter of perspective...

Gurok

Quote from: Khris on Tue 16/04/2019 00:21:54
Far-right fuckwits are already accusing Muslims of deliberately causing the fire.

Shame also on everybody using it as a reason to talk about how they hate Catholics. I saw Catholic Church trending during the blaze and not for good reason.

I'm glad some of the priceless relics were saved.

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 16/04/2019 03:07:10
Yeah. This is sad news. I've also never been there up close. As Sinitrena says, they'll probably rebuild but it won't be anything like the old building. They'll probably feel the need to modernize it and it will look super sexy for about 10 years before going out of fashion.

This is what I'm fearing most. Apparently, there was already one botched restoration.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Ali

What a relief to see that the windows have been preserved. And how sad that any BAD THING must be immediately followed by morons / truthers / bigots making it worse with their malicious opportunism.

Jack

Quote from: Ali on Tue 16/04/2019 22:33:01
And how sad that any BAD THING must be immediately followed by morons / truthers / bigots making it worse with their malicious opportunism.

Some people use every opportunity to spread their hatred.

Khris

Jack

Mandle

Quasimodo has tweeted that he is well and is rooming with the Phantom of the Opera for now.

milkanannan

WHAM

Good thing is that the damage to the interior was very limited. From what I've read and seen, the stone ceiling held up fine, except for a small section where the spire collapsed in. The fire inside was limited, however, and thus the damage minimal in that area.
A lot of the wooden artwork inside was spared destruction and damage.

Must have been a hell of a day for the fire crews, though, and I'd imagine a lot of places will look at this and start to reconsider the fire safety of other national monuments, at least for a while.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Jack

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 18/04/2019 00:29:40
Someone sent me this link: https://gigarama.ru/notredame/

The damage doesn't look as bad from out here.

I was looking at pictures earlier and wondered how long it would take to model every detail of the cathedral in 3D. Months... If not years. Truly an impressive building.

Snarky

Yeah, recreating every carving and bit of tracery of the whole building, whether physically or digitally, would certainly take many years. After all, it took centuries to create in the first place.

Fortunately it seems like most of the building escaped destruction, and there were high-resolution 3D scans taken of the structure in 2015. When combined with other documentation, it would seem possible in principle to recreate it at a very high level of accuracy.

I've also heard some experts worrying that the fire may have damaged the construction on a more fundamental level, given that heat can crack stone. Parts of the cathedral were already crumbling, which is why there was an ongoing restoration in the first place.

WHAM

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 18/04/2019 05:45:16
I've also heard some experts worrying that the fire may have damaged the construction on a more fundamental level, given that heat can crack stone. Parts of the cathedral were already crumbling, which is why there was an ongoing restoration in the first place.

The thing is ancient and already in a state of disrepair, so this will likely be a concern for the near future. You can only do so much to maintain a structure without starting to replace it stone by stone, or by creating a permanent support structure that would pretty much ruin the aesthetic of such a historical structure.
Hell, I'm impressed a structure so vast and old is standing to begin with!

Another rather optimistic take on the outcome of the Notre Dame fire, this one by an Englishman:
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Mandarinas45

Did you hear how Ubisoft reacted? The company will donate 500k into the building's reconstruction plans, and also, the Notre Dame model in Assassin Creed game will possibly be used as a basis for reconstruction plan! It's a tragedy, but at least we got the technology to recreate the magic from scratch...

Source:

https://www.eneba.com/blog/ubisoft-is-giving-away-assassins-creed-unity-for-free-after-notre-dame-fire/
Cheers mates <3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk