Notre Dame

Started by Blondbraid, Mon 15/04/2019 22:35:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: Mandarinas45 on Fri 19/04/2019 07:57:56
Did you hear how Ubisoft reacted? The company will donate 500k into the building's reconstruction plans, and also, the Notre Dame model in Assassin Creed game will possibly be used as a basis for reconstruction plan! It's a tragedy, but at least we got the technology to recreate the magic from scratch...

So will the face of the cathedral randomly glitch away for some visitors? Too bad it's not old Ubisoft. Apparently they will be adding robots that follow every cathedral visitor's move, gets in their way, and generally treats them like criminals. They call it drone rights management.

And I heard the contract includes a clause that the caretakers of the cathedral have to make sure there is always a cart containing unbelievably soft hay directly below the spire.

selmiak

This is sad. Though I'm glad most of the stones and glass is still in good shape. afaik no human died which is alway good when such tragedies happen. this makes it more culturally tragic.

Cyrus

In fact, it's possible to donate to the restoration of Notre Dame; I donated â,¬15.

https://don.fondation-patrimoine.org/SauvonsNotreDame/~my-donation

NickyNyce

Sadly, there were terror attacks on Sri Lanka churches. I heard there were 875 churches over the past year in France that were involved with fire or vandalized.

If this is true, it makes me wonder what the numbers are across the globe.

Khris

Please don't donate for the restoration of a fucking *roof* when dirtbag billionaires all over the world already fell over themselves to pay for it, probably several times over.
There's so so many much more worthy causes.

Blondbraid

If there is one silver lining to this tragedy, at least the 180.000 bees living in the beehives on top of Notre Dame survived the fire.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/19/bees-survive-notre-dame-fire

Ali

Quote from: NickyNyce on Sun 21/04/2019 15:12:23
Sadly, there were terror attacks on Sri Lanka churches. I heard there were 875 churches over the past year in France that were involved with fire or vandalized.

The Sri Lankan attacks are appalling - but thankfully unconnected to the accidental fire in Paris. Church vandalism is also unconnected to the other two tragedies.

I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but there are some who are deliberately drawing parallels between unrelated events in order to support the narrative that the West/Christianity is under siege by Muslims.

Jack

Don't be so quick to dismiss a possible connection. Those other churches could have caught fire by themselves too.

WHAM

Quote from: Khris on Tue 23/04/2019 08:35:05
Please don't donate for the restoration of a fucking *roof* when dirtbag billionaires all over the world already fell over themselves to pay for it, probably several times over.
There's so so many much more worthy causes.

Yeah, this is one of those really iffy cases of prioritization, and I'm not surprised to see the Yellow Vests are flipping their lids over it as well.
There are countless aid programmes for various worthwhile causes that are struggling to function day to day, but the Notre Dame restoration got million in a day. Sure, I appreciate history and its preservation, but as is often the case, there are more pressing concerns than this.

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 23/04/2019 09:00:57
If there is one silver lining to this tragedy, at least the 180.000 bees living in the beehives on top of Notre Dame survived the fire.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/19/bees-survive-notre-dame-fire

Huzzah for the bees!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Stupot

As well as Khris' comment above, I've seen so many memes and people comparing Notre Dame to other tragedies like Grenfell Tower and asking why billionaires didn't fall over themselves to give money to the other tragedies.

While Notre Dame was burning, everyone was all about how sad it was. This great cultural heritage up in smoke. It turned out to have been a little exaggerated and the building wasn't completely destroyed. But if you read Twitter or FB you'd have seen the outpouring of emotion and mourning from everyone. It's little wonder that those with money felt compelled to play the hero, jump on the bandwagon and knee-jerkingly offer great sums of money to help rebuild the cathedral.

But the bandwagon of the not-so-rich turned into ‘oh it's not actually that much of a tragedy, what about Grenfell?' And now those billionaires are being criticized for stepping up.

I think it's kind of pointless comparison. Regardless of Notre Dame one could always ask ‘why don't billionaires donate more to good causes?' It's a good question but nothing to do with famous cathedrals. We're only asking it now because some of them actually have pledged money to a good cause... except this good cause is suddenly seen as less worthy because it's just a building and no lives were lost.

In fact more than 26 million pounds was raisedfor Grenfell, which is a good number, although not nearly enough to permanently rehouse all of the survivors (or bring back those who died). It seems very odd to blame rich people for that, though.

Khris

Rich people donate to improve their public image, and because it gives them tax benefits or whatever. It's a calculated move, not a generous one. They don't know what to do with all their money anyway. You have to prove that rich guy X is actually generous, that's not the default. You don't get rich by being generous, or a good person.

And "what about Grenfell?" is a very valid question to ask. One billion got raised for Notre Dame, in like a week. Imagine if rich people actually cared about fixing actual problems. We could literally change the world overnight.

Ali

I think it's wrong to say "why are we fixing this cathedral when we could be re-homing these people?" Because there's no good reason to place culture and people's wellbeing in opposition to each other. I think the valid point that the comparisons raise is that billionaires have too much money and can't be relied upon to distribute it responsibly or rationally.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Ali on Wed 24/04/2019 12:39:15
I think it's wrong to say "why are we fixing this cathedral when we could be re-homing these people?" Because there's no good reason to place culture and people's wellbeing in opposition to each other. I think the valid point that the comparisons raise is that billionaires have too much money and can't be relied upon to distribute it responsibly or rationally.

Agreed.

That is all.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk