Seen any cool horror films lately?

Started by KyriakosCH, Wed 17/04/2019 00:45:21

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Saw Noroi (The Curse) today. Iirc from 2005.

Decent japanese horror movie, supposedly based on a real case.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 17/04/2019 00:45:21
Saw Noroi (The Curse) today. Iirc from 2005.

Decent japanese horror movie, supposedly based on a real case.
I feel like I've probably seen that, but I can't really remember it. I'll give it another look.

I tried watching Rings, the recent Hollywood Ring sequel. I couldn't make it past the first two minutes. The first thing the guy says is "Have you heard the story about the videotape that if you watch it you die seven days later?" Yeah, not too on-the-nose there, mate. If someone tells me it's worth pushing through that awful intro, then I'll give it another go.

I watched Pet on Netflix the other day. More thriller than horror, but it was a pretty cool twist on the 'guy-kidnaps-girl' mechanic. Worth a look.

I also got around to watching Don't Breathe, which was fun, but not really what I was expecting.

Mandle

What We Do In The Shadows

A really fun take on the life of a group of vampires but unlike "Interview With The Vampire" which focuses on the epic adventure of their "lives" spanning eras, this movie is about the humdrum day-to-day existence of what it really might be like if a group of fairly average "people" had to live together for centuries.

Great stuff with an awkward, low-key New Zealand sense of humour.

KyriakosCH

I saw the Clovehitch killer (iirc title of the movie is 'Clovehitch').
It was decent. Not that believable, but at least the first half of the movie had good atmosphere :)

KyriakosCH

Saw this almost a month ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opSNG3sWdjs

It is a quite interesting movie. It would also work as a horror adventure game, due to the very elaborate centerpiece :)

Danvzare

I think the most recent horror film I've watched, was the latest Halloween film. (Halloween 2018)
I went in expecting something laughably bad. But it was remarkably good. I'd highly recommend it.
It's not very scary though. At least to me.

Buckethead

Hereditary was pretty good:

Errementari was a fun one to me, although more a folktale than horror:

Aterrados was great as well. The story was so so but it had some genuinly creepy moments and great effects:

milkanannan

Oh thanks for the reminder! I saw the Hereditary trailer a few months back and wanted to see that.  :=

TheFrighter

Quote from: Buckethead on Sat 20/04/2019 15:56:13Errementari was a fun one to me, although more a folktale than horror:

Aterrados was great as well. The story was so so but it had some genuinly creepy moments and great effects:

Recently a lot of good horror movies come from Spain, it's impressive.

_

Blondbraid

I second Mandle on What We Do In The Shadows, it's an all around great and fun movie!
Quote from: TheFrighter on Sat 20/04/2019 17:47:15
Recently a lot of good horror movies come from Spain, it's impressive.
I either had the worlds best or the worlds worst Spanish teacher, because said teacher let the class watch a bunch of Spanish movies during lessons as opposed to studying grammar,
and I especially liked Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro, which juxtaposed the supernatural monsters with the real horror of fascism to great effect. I'd just recommend the works of
del Toro in general, because he's also made other solid horror movies like The devil's backbone and Crimson Peak, the latter I especially recommend to anyone who like Gothic horror.

KyriakosCH

I liked Rec (Rec1) and a couple of other spanish horror, but i now tried to watch Aterrados and imo it isn't very good :) (maybe it would become better later on, but i gave up).

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 21/04/2019 19:28:40
I especially liked Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro
I thought Pan's Labyrinth was in french?
Well either way, I personally couldn't get into Pan's Labyrinth. I'm sure it's a good film, I just can't stand subtitles. And in a film like Pan's Labyrinth where the majority of the appeal is in the awesome designs and the delivery of lines, you lose a lot with your eyes glued to the words at the bottom of the screen.
I always hoped that there would be a dub, even a subpar one. But to my knowledge, there's never been one.

Also it's been a long time since I last watched Pan's Labyrinth, so correct me if I'm wrong here. But based on my vague recollection, it was implied that the monsters and such were just in her head. Because they never actually interacted with the real world. Which I didn't like. I wanted to see everyone get killed at the end because I thought they all deserved it.
Please correct me if I'm recalling that wrong though. I think it's been well over ten years since I watched it.

VampireWombat

Pan's Labyrinth is definitely in Spanish. As far as I know, Guillermo del Toro only has directed movies in Spanish and English. And there's the fact that Pan's Labyrinth is set in Spain.
I've never had issue with the subtitles on it. It's not like there's a lot of fast paced action. And most of the scenes where there's sets and make up to enjoy, there's enough quiet to enjoy them.
And as for whether the events are real or not, the movie leaves it open ended for the viewer to decide. But I think that Guillermo del Toro himself is of the opinion that everything happened.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 24/04/2019 18:29:48
I'm sure it's a good film, I just can't stand subtitles.

That's unfortunate. There's so much worthwhile cinema out there, in languages other than English.

Rigor Mortis is a visually splendid homage to Hong Kong vampire movies of the 1980's, and a pretty cool pre-Birdman...well, Birdman.

And for Netflix viewers, The Wailing is good way to spend two and a half hours. Be warned, though, it's a slow-burn, and bereft of jump scares.

Quote from: Buckethead on Sat 20/04/2019 15:56:13

Errementari was a fun one to me, although more a folktale than horror.

Aterrados was great as well. The story was so so but it had some genuinly creepy moments and great effects.

Yeah, I enjoyed both of those as well. Errementari was very Del Toro in feel, but still it's own thing.

Off the top of my head...

The Blood on Satan's Claw is a good entry in the UK's short-lived "Folk Horror" boom of the '70s. I think it's on Netflix, too.

And while it will never replace the original in my heart, the recent remake of Suspiria is worth a look.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Danvzare

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 24/04/2019 20:15:35

That's unfortunate. There's so much worthwhile cinema out there, in languages other than English.
Yeah well. I hear that you can get used to subtitles if you watch enough with them. But as of right now, watching with subtitles for me, is like having a kid constantly kick the back of your seat during the entire film. I'll only tolerate them if I really want to watch the film, and even then the film kinda gets ruined for me.
But personally I think it's more unfortunate the amount of books, comics, games, and movies other people will never experience, either because of preconceived notions or because they were never translated. I could give a huge list of brilliant stuff, ranging from Japanese Boardgame videogames, to B-horror movies.

Quote from: VampireWombat on Wed 24/04/2019 18:45:07
Pan's Labyrinth is definitely in Spanish. As far as I know, Guillermo del Toro only has directed movies in Spanish and English. And there's the fact that Pan's Labyrinth is set in Spain.
Seriously!  8-0
And here I've been thinking for the past ten years or so, that it was set during one of the french civil wars (probably the WW2 one.).
Wow, was I wrong.  :-[

KyriakosCH

Saw "Silent House" (remake).

The actress is very good, but imo the movie just has a story which has already been done to death. You will identify what it going on (at worst) by the half-point, so it becomes a bit of a bore up to the obvious "reveal".

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 25/04/2019 16:56:40
Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 24/04/2019 20:15:35

Yeah well. I hear that you can get used to subtitles if you watch enough with them. But as of right now, watching with subtitles for me, is like having a kid constantly kick the back of your seat during the entire film. I'll only tolerate them if I really want to watch the film, and even then the film kinda gets ruined for me.
But personally I think it's more unfortunate the amount of books, comics, games, and movies other people will never experience, either because of preconceived notions or because they were never translated. I could give a huge list of brilliant stuff, ranging from Japanese Boardgame videogames, to B-horror movies.
You should definitively try to learn to get used to texted movies, because I promise it'll be worth it. I've never heard of anyone learning to watch subtitled movies ever wanting to go back to watching dubbed versions, and for a good reason.
In Sweden there is no dubbed movies for adults, only movies aimed at kids too young to be expected to read well get dubbed, and the suggestion of dubbing a movie for adults would be treated as condescending, like they'd think swedes are too dumb to read. But the upside of this is that pretty much all Swedes under 60 will learn English at a much faster rate thanks to all English movies and TV-shows that get imported, and I myself was able to read Poe and Lovecraft in their original language by high school largely thanks to all the English-speaking media I consumed, plus you get good practice in reading. At least to me, I don't see why reading subtitles in movies are any worse than reading the text in your average AGS game.

So as a Swede, I feel genuinely sorry for all the people that never get to learn to read subtitles while still young, all due to the idiotic practice of dubbing everything, not just because they miss out so much of the nuance and original acting of the dubbed movies, but also because of all movies they'll miss out on because subtitles are much easier and affordable than dubbing, and therefore most movies will only get subtitles. I think you can compare it to learning how to swim, sure it can be hard at first, and getting water in your nose is annoying, but once you have learned it, there is just so many good things and great experiences that can come from it and you'll never regret it.
QuoteAlso it's been a long time since I last watched Pan's Labyrinth, so correct me if I'm wrong here. But based on my vague recollection, it was implied that the monsters and such were just in her head. Because they never actually interacted with the real world. Which I didn't like. I wanted to see everyone get killed at the end because I thought they all deserved it.
In that case, I'd definitively recommend The Devil's backbone, also a Spanish movie by Del Toro. It's a fantastic movie also set in the Spanish Civil war, and not to spoil anything, but I will say justice is well served at the end of the movie, and the supernatural entities do get to play an important role in it.

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 25/04/2019 19:18:22

The actress is very good, but imo the movie just has a story which has already been done to death. You will identify what it going on (at worst) by the half-point, so it becomes a bit of a bore up to the obvious "reveal".

Is it that she
Spoiler
was a ghost all along?
[close]

There are only two good movies with that twist that I know of and soooo many lame knockoffs so it's the one I thought of immediately.

Spoiler
The Sixth Sense and The Others
[close]

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/04/2019 00:16:54
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 25/04/2019 19:18:22

Is it that she
Spoiler
was a ghost all along?
[close]

No. It was
Spoiler
that her father sexually abused her and she was imagining stuff.
[close]

Laura Hunt

One of the best "horror" films (I'm hesitant to call it horror since it's very slow paced, mostly focused on tension and claustrophobia) I've seen in a VERY long time is A Dark Song.

It's about a woman who hires an occultist to help her perform a vengeance ritual which will require them to stay in a closed-off house without setting foot outside for as long as it takes for it to work (we're talking months here, not just a few hours) because once started, the ritual cannot be interrupted. That's about all I'd be willing to say without getting into spoiler territory.

The director is Irish, it's set in rural Wales, and there are only two actors in the whole movie, so right from its inception it already feels different from most cookie-cutter American horror like Insidious and all that crap. It's very low key, no jumpscares, just a constant feeling of dread and tension. There's a bit of conventional "horror" at some point, but it's not the movie's main point. I won't even recommend watching the trailer since it gives away a couple of scenes that kind of lose their impact if not watched at their correct place in the movie.

It's definitely a cult flick which might not be to everybody's taste, especially if you're used to jump scares, cliches, creepy singing children, cackling ghosts and deafening sound effects, but if it clicks with you, it's the kind of movie that just sticks around in your brain long, long after you've finished watching it. There's something about the pacing, the cinematography, the atmosphere, the performances, that makes it one of a kind.

If I piqued your curiosity, give it a try! I don't think you'll regret it  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk