Seen any cool horror films lately?

Started by KyriakosCH, Wed 17/04/2019 00:45:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 26/04/2019 01:25:40
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/04/2019 00:16:54
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 25/04/2019 19:18:22
Saw "Silent House" (remake).

The actress is very good, but imo the movie just has a story which has already been done to death. You will identify what it going on (at worst) by the half-point, so it becomes a bit of a bore up to the obvious "reveal".

Is it that she
Spoiler
was a ghost all along?
[close]

No. It was
Spoiler
that her father sexually abused her and she was imagining stuff.
[close]
Urgh, I hate that movie trope. It's basically been done to death because it's the default backstory hack writers give female main characters.

The other problem with that trope is that it's using a real-life trauma for horror and shock value, so to a lot of audience members who have experienced it firsthand, it's not going to be a fantasy horror comparable to zombies or vampires,
but a stark reminder of something they fear in real life and at worst it can even cause a severe anxiety attack, and I really wish it wasn't so overused, because poor treatment of it has really ruined a lot of movies for me.

So far, the best treatment of this topic I've seen in a mainstream movie was Sucker Punch, but there it isn't a plot twist, but was revealed at the start of the movie,
and rather than showing the trauma the female leads go through the movie focuses entirely on the elaborate heroic fantasies they conjure up to escape from it.

Mandle

Quote from: notarobotyet on Fri 26/04/2019 07:37:07
One of the best "horror" films (I'm hesitant to call it horror since it's very slow paced, mostly focused on tension and claustrophobia) I've seen in a VERY long time is A Dark Song.

That movie is AWESOME!!!

It takes really good actors to pull off a 2 character cast, and the two actors in this movie are completely believable and amazing!

And I was delighted by the very, very unexpected ending!

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/04/2019 10:58:30
Quote from: notarobotyet on Fri 26/04/2019 07:37:07
One of the best "horror" films (I'm hesitant to call it horror since it's very slow paced, mostly focused on tension and claustrophobia) I've seen in a VERY long time is A Dark Song.

That movie is AWESOME!!!

It takes really good actors to pull off a 2 character cast, and the two actors in this movie are completely believable and amazing!

I know, right?? Perfect casting imo.

So happy somebody else has watched it!

Snarky

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 18/04/2019 23:34:34
What We Do In The Shadows

A really fun take on the life of a group of vampires but unlike "Interview With The Vampire" which focuses on the epic adventure of their "lives" spanning eras, this movie is about the humdrum day-to-day existence of what it really might be like if a group of fairly average "people" had to live together for centuries.

Great stuff with an awkward, low-key New Zealand sense of humour.

I assume you're aware that there's a TV adaptation that started airing just a few weeks ago? Set in Staten Island and starring Matt Berry. It's... OK.

The most recent horror movie I watched was Cam, about a cam girl whose online identity is stolen by a doppelganger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN8xZ5WDonk
Not really scary at all, but interesting, well acted, and I thought the final confrontation was quite clever.

Oh, and I also watched Happy Death Day 2U (the sequel to the surprisingly good "Final Destination + Scream + Groundhog Day" mashup) not too long ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT9MBytHuOI
This one throws in more time-travel shenanigans, and is still plenty fun.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 26/04/2019 12:38:14
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 18/04/2019 23:34:34
What We Do In The Shadows

A really fun take on the life of a group of vampires but unlike "Interview With The Vampire" which focuses on the epic adventure of their "lives" spanning eras, this movie is about the humdrum day-to-day existence of what it really might be like if a group of fairly average "people" had to live together for centuries.

Great stuff with an awkward, low-key New Zealand sense of humour.

I assume you're aware that there's a TV adaptation that started airing just a few weeks ago? Set in Staten Island and starring Matt Berry. It's... OK.
If any movie deserves a TV show adaption, it's What We Do In The Shadows, the concept is pretty much perfect for that.

Anyway, Happy Death Day 2U really sounds like somebody thought Groundhog day would be way better as a horror movie. Either way, it looks interesting!

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 26/04/2019 18:34:14

Anyway, Happy Death Day 2U really sounds like somebody thought Groundhog day would be way better as a horror movie. Either way, it looks interesting!

Hasn't this been done in that Butterfly effect film?  :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_dgqfPXFg
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Laura Hunt

If any movie deserves a TV show adaption, it's What We Do In The Shadows, the concept is pretty much perfect for that.

Yeah, on paper it sounds perfect, but in practice...  :-\ First episode was pretty good, almost as good as the movie; second was ok, third and fourth have been really weak, to the point where I don't know if I'll continue watching. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try though!

Snarky

That was also my experience with WWDitS. I'm several episodes behind and don't feel any pressing need to catch up.

Yeah, that's pretty much precisely what it is. (Or, not necessarily better: just that it would be cool to combine Groundhog Day with the sort of fun, wacky deaths you get in the Final Destination movies + a basic "masked killer" slasher plot.) The original movie is simply Happy Death Day (though I think it was released under a bunch of other titles in various countries) and came out 2017.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 26/04/2019 18:43:32
Hasn't this been done in that Butterfly effect film?  :-D

Eh, they're not particularly similar. On the other hand, the premise of the Netflix show Russian Doll is almost exactly the same as Happy Death Day, though the tone is quite different.

TheFrighter

Not many good italian horror movies those days. I can suggest this Wicked Gift

_

KyriakosCH

Any other suggestions? :)
I saw a couple more, but they were garbage.

But i liked this very brief horror piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqSmb3n0j8o&fbclid=IwAR2rIVZ6JrHE8eC4rF5h2a0FSuu952gw8XJoJVu5VbKyqU_yvHU1_m1dxG4

Stupot

Yesterday I watched the new film in the Japanese Ring series, Sadako.

It was rather good, really. Nowhere near as bad as Sadako 3D anyway. There was of course a lot of dodgy acting and even dodgier visual effects but that's unavoidable with Japanese films these days. But it was directed by Hideo Nakata who directed the first core Ring (1998) movie and it's sequel. It wasn't super scary but there were some fun creepy moments and it did a good job of telling a new story while keeping Sadako as the main antagonist.

I happened to be poking my head in the Cinema to see what was on and Sadako was just about to start, so based on whether or not it was a good decision to go in and watch the movie, I'd give it a thumbs up. 👍

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 30/05/2019 04:33:24
Yesterday I watched the new film in the Japanese Ring series, Sadako.

As a huge fan of horror movies I'm pretty surprised when one actually scares me. I usually just have a ton of fun without many uncomfortable feelings.

But two movies still scare the absolute crap out of me:

The Exorcist (original) and Ring (original).

I'm wary to watch any of the other Sadako cash-ins and haven't even watched the original sequels (were they Loop and Rassen I think?) because I felt they would spoil the mystery of what makes the Sadako character so terrifying by providing too much explanation, just like Hannibal Rising spoils the Hannibal Lecter character to death by taking away everything that is unknown about him.

Stupot

Rasen is the original sequel to the 1998 Ring but it was so bad that it has been disregarded. The better sequels are Ring 2 and Ring 0: Birthday. To me they are the canonical trilogy. And they're all good films.

They do go into her whole background and why she became the monster she did. But I don't think it ruins it like Hannibal Rising. And that information is all in the books anyway (although the book's story is slightly different from the films)

There was first a 1995 straight-to-TV Ring film. I've heard that was also pretty bad though I never saw it.

Mandle

It just scares me more that Sadako was born wrong somehow in some way that we cannot understand.

If I watch some explanation that her grandmother had been damned for spitting on a shrine or whatever they come up with it just won't scare me as much as "this just happens and we don't know why" no matter how well done the explanation is.

LionOhDay

I recently got around to watching "The Void" which was a pretty fun Horror romp.

It reminded me a lot of a super natural episode which was pretty much what I wanted out of it.

This was a lot longer ago but I also enjoyed watching The Ritual. That one was really fun.
Attempts were made.

Mandle

I recently re-watched Wes Craven's "Dracula 2000" (or possibly 2001 the box and the in-movie title disagree on this)

It was great to re-watch because I didn't know who Gerald Butler was when I saw it back in 2002 or so and his not-so-Spartan performance as Dracula is quite awesome. (He's a lot skinnier as well in this role and has a neck narrower than his head even)

Also, Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing is great, and the dude who plays Sherlock in the show "Elementary", Sick-Boy from Trainspotting, is always cool.

Apart from the famous actors viewed in retrospect, the plot is great and has a killer twist towards the end!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 04/06/2019 14:22:08
I recently re-watched Wes Craven's "Dracula 2000" (or possibly 2001 the box and the in-movie title disagree on this)

It was great to re-watch because I didn't know who Gerald Butler was when I saw it back in 2002 or so and his not-so-Spartan performance as Dracula is quite awesome. (He's a lot skinnier as well in this role and has a neck narrower than his head even)

Also, Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing is great, and the dude who plays Sherlock in the show "Elementary", Sick-Boy from Trainspotting, is always cool.

Apart from the famous actors viewed in retrospect, the plot is great and has a killer twist towards the end!
Was that the movie that featured Omar Epps (the guy who was a sidekick to House on the eponymous show)?

KyriakosCH

Any new suggestions? :)
I tried the recent irish movie, "The hole in the ground". Imo it was rather bad.

Laura Hunt

Well, I finally got around to watching "Us" and I have to say that despite having guessed the "twist" in the first 5 minutes of the movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit! Definitely more than "Get Out", which I found to be a ok-ish horror movie but waaaayyyyy overrated. "Us" is creepy, intriguing, and Lupita Nyong'o and Elizabeth Moss absolutely kill it. Worth checking out!

I also have it in mind to watch "The Wind" this week, I'll report back if it's worth a shot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk