Seen any cool horror films lately?

Started by KyriakosCH, Wed 17/04/2019 00:45:21

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Racoon on Wed 01/04/2020 20:23:06
KyriakosCH I love that shortfilm "The Dollmaker!" :)  If you are into shortfilms I would totally recommend the youtube channel "DUST". They have loads and loads of sci-fi shortfilms, also some horror ones.

Ready or not is also a movie that I really want to watch, they talked a lot about it in the radio.
Also I am curious about "Parasite", the one that won an oscar I think?

A movie with horror elements that stuck with me after watching it is this one:

There are split opinions about it, but I think its haunting.

^_^ Yes, I have seen some of the Dust channel's films, but youtube collections rarely have anything memorable :D

I just watched Ready or Not. It was funny. I think the heroine really makes it work. It's comedy-horror, of course.

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 01/04/2020 20:32:17
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 01/04/2020 19:49:11
Thank you  8-)

I think I have seen all of them, though...
The original Jacob's Ladder was cool.

This one just came to my mind: have you watched Mandy? It's a weird one, but I'll take it any day over mass-produced stuff like The Conjuring 25: The Conjurerer :-D

I have seen Mandy, yes.
It was not as much horror as gore-sad, I think :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

LimpingFish

Did anyone mention I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House? Did I?!  (wtf)

It's on Netflix, and I recommend it!

Apostle, also on Netflix, is quite good. Ditto The Ritual.

Netflix doesn't have the greatest selection of horror movies, at least in the UK/Ireland, but there are some gems on there.

EDIT: I browsed through Netflix just now, and (for those who have Netflix) I would recommend (in no particular order)...

The Endless
Troll Hunter
The Night Eats the World
In the Tall Grass
He Never Died
Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
Cold Skin
Await Further Instructions

...for various reasons.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

KyriakosCH

Stupot

I recently watched Happy Death Day. It’s a little cheesy but I think it’s deliberate. I had great fun with it and it’s quite cleverly done. I’ve yet to see the sequel, which I hear is less horror and more sci-fi.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 02/04/2020 07:43:11
I recently watched Happy Death Day. It’s a little cheesy but I think it’s deliberate. I had great fun with it and it’s quite cleverly done. I’ve yet to see the sequel, which I hear is less horror and more sci-fi.

Both are funny as hell.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 02/04/2020 02:12:12
Did anyone mention I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House? Did I?!  (wtf)

It's on Netflix, and I recommend it!

Apostle, also on Netflix, is quite good. Ditto The Ritual.

Netflix doesn't have the greatest selection of horror movies, at least in the UK/Ireland, but there are some gems on there.

EDIT: I browsed through Netflix just now, and (for those who have Netflix) I would recommend (in no particular order)...

The Endless
Troll Hunter
The Night Eats the World
In the Tall Grass
He Never Died
Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
Cold Skin
Await Further Instructions

...for various reasons.

I now saw In the Tall Grass.

The idea was cool, but Stephen King ruins almost anything he touches :D A far better example is his tv series, The Outsider.

At least the Tall Grass had a nice centerpiece. Though it might have been "stolen" by a youtube short which aired years ago, and had iirc the same name.

Stupot

I just recently read the book of The Outsider. It was awful. I'm not even sure King wrote it himself. I swear he's doing a James Patterson and getting "up-and-comers" to write his stuff, only at least Patterson puts their name on the cover.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 02/04/2020 08:37:18
I just recently read the book of The Outsider. It was awful. I'm not even sure King wrote it himself. I swear he's doing a James Patterson and getting "up-and-comers" to write his stuff, only at least Patterson puts their name on the cover.

I don't think you know Mr. King. He will write anything he thinks of. He tries to make it as good as he can, but he even admits that a lot of his stuff is crap. He writes for himself about the things that scare him and that he hopes will scare others. He rarely plots out a story from start to finish as he gets bored with it if he is not living it in the moment while he is writing. And then he shuts it away in a drawer for at least 6 months and comes back and rereads it and does a second draft if the story is still bugging him to be born.

I think this is a much more honest and open way for a writer to be rather than them thinking "I must make everything a masterpiece!"  and then the books never get finished.

I think game creators can also understand this way of thinking.

Stephen King has written some of the best and most original horror novels of a century in my opinion, and has also written a lot of crap.

It's his philosophy: Just write. Every one of your children will not come out perfect. Some might be disformed. But some might not be.

That's bravery in writing. (And he didn't just hold forth this philosophy AFTER he got rich. His book "Danse Macabre", which he wrote in his poor days, also expresses this philosophy.)

EDIT: All this being said, I most enjoy the novels he wrote during the early cocaine years. The ones he doesn't remember writing like "The Tommyknockers"

KyriakosCH

^I like some of his short stories (eg from the Nightshift collection), but imo overall he is pretty much a hack (with some talent). Certainly he has no intellectual element to his work (of those which I read, anyway).
That said, some movie adaptations of his work can be good. The best example I can think of is The Mist (the movie, not the terrible tv show  := ).

Sometimes one doesn't need to be a good writer to become famous. According to Lovecraft, Stoker was a terrible writer as well, with some cool ideas -btw, if you want to see a really terrible horror movie, check "The lair of the white worm", with Hugh Grant  :=
Lovecraft himself has issues with style, but had a very interesting imagination. Machen was imo far better as a writer than Lovecraft, yet clearly he is much less known. Dunsany today isn't really famous either - but iirc was back in Lovecraft's day.

I think, if we are talking horror writers, the two I regard as being more intellectually powerful (and among the great writers of Europe anyway) are de Maupassant and ETA Hoffmann.

Poe is another case - I think he wrote beautifully, but I have reason to believe he did profess to have more intellectual knowledge than he did. Who cares in his case, though, he wrote so elegantly that it is besides the point. :) Washington Irving is another cool case, but not quite of the level of Maupassant/Hoffmann imo.

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 02/04/2020 09:16:01
but imo overall he is pretty much a hack (with some talent)

And has never pretended he was otherwise. But his book "On Writing" really is probably his best work ever. It's a completely un-pretentious manual on how to write. Basically a "Masters-Class" in book form in which the ultimate message is something pretty much like "Write, just write, always keep writing, grow a thick skin, and let all opinions be damned as long as you know you're getting better at writing."

TheFrighter

This could seems a little artsy, but not so much:

_

KyriakosCH

Quote from: TheFrighter on Thu 02/04/2020 13:19:04

This could seems a little artsy, but not so much:

_

I have seen it. Can't say it was for me :) Good actors though. Re the plot, I think

Spoiler
it was supposed to be Patt's delusion? Anyway, didn't really do it for me...
[close]

KyriakosCH

Saw Soylent Green. It isn't horror, of course.
Nice that in 2022 the most advanced home computer game they have is some version of space invaders  :=

Crimson Wizard

"The Lighthouse" is a horror in a different sense.
Spoiler

It's a horror of reality. It's basically a story of two people getting drunk for weeks during the storm while they are unable to leave the island, and going insane because of drink, personal conflict and haunting memories.
[close]

KyriakosCH

^

Spoiler
I am not sure. I mean it didn't take that long for Patt to start seeing stuff.
But I don't recall the movie all that well...
[close]

lorenzo

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 02/04/2020 11:44:01
in which the ultimate message is something pretty much like "Write, just write, always keep writing, grow a thick skin, and let all opinions be damned as long as you know you're getting better at writing."
That's pretty good advice for all creative endeavours, in my opinion. Can't get better at doing something without doing it. A lot.

KyriakosCH

I think that Cronenberg is often hit or miss. Though one of my favorite movies is by him, Spider (iirc 2002), with Ralph Fiennes.

It isn't a horror movie.

As far as I know his latest film is absolute garbage, and a very stupid presentation of the Freud vs Jung story.

As for horror, his The Brood is very good, imo.

arj0n

Here's my list of horror movies of the last 10 years I still remember (sorted alphabetically and descending year by year).
At the end of each line the IMDB rating (x out of 10) and the dutch moviemeter rating (x out of 5) is noted.

Horror movies:
Invisible Man, The (2020) -  Horror / Mystery / Sci-Fi / Thriller [7,2/10;3,52/5]
Ready or Not (2019) - Comedy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [6,8/10;3,19/5]
Apostle (2018) - Action / Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [6,3/10;2,94/5]
Mandy (2018) - Action / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [6,6/10;3,05/5]
Dark Song, A(2016) - Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery [6,1/10;2,78/5]
Don't Breathe (2016) - Crime / Horror / Thriller [7,1/10; 3,38/5]
Kill Command (2016) - Action / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller [5,7/10;2,71/5]
13 Sins (2014) - Action / Horror / Thriller [6,3/10;2,92/5]
As Above, So Below (2014) - Action / Adventure / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [6,2/10;3,06/5]
Clown (2014) - Action / Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller [5,7/10;2,85/5]
Last Shift (2014) - Horror / Mystery / Thriller [5,8/10;2,78/5]
What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - Action / Comedy / Fantasy / Horror [8,4/10;3,31/5]
Frankenstein's Army (2013) - Horror / Action [5,3/10;2,73/5]
I Spit on Your Grave 2 (2013) - Horror / Thriller [5,7/10;2,96/5]
Cabin in the Woods, The (2011) - Action / Comedy / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [7,0/10;2,96/5]
Thing, The (remake) (2011) - Action / Horror / Mystery / Sci-Fi / Thriller [6,2/10;2,84/5]
I Spit on Your Grave (2010) - Action / Crime / Horror / Thriller [6,3/10;3,26/5]
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) - Action / Comedy / Horror [7,5/10;3,39/5]

Non-horror but with horror elements:
Annihilation (2018) - Adventure / Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Sci-Fi / Thriller [6,9/10;3,19/5]
Upgrade (2018) - Action / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller [7,5/10;3,58/5]
Cold Skin (2017) - Adventure / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller [6,0/10;3,08/5]

KyriakosCH

^Thanks :)

I will check out the Invisible Man. I suppose it has no tie to the Wells story?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk