AGS 3.5.0 - RC 5 (new upcoming version)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 30/04/2019 20:38:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

beta 5 <3
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Edmundito was updating the Tween module to support new cameras, hope he won't mind if I post his video here :)

https://video.drift.com/v/abaMWDTGzbo/

Dualnames

I went and coded my own tween additions when u implemented the new camera controls :P but it's good that Edmundito did it anyway!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bx83

So is, uh, beta 6 coming along nicely? Are there many betas left?
I ask this only to check if the full version will be out by September 2019 or, like, February next year. All is good, whenever it's done it's done, I was just wondering as I'm thinking of releasing my game soon.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Mon 15/07/2019 03:51:55
So is, uh, beta 6 coming along nicely? Are there many betas left?
I ask this only to check if the full version will be out by September 2019 or, like, February next year. All is good, whenever it's done it's done, I was just wondering as I'm thinking of releasing my game soon.

I cannot tell how many betas left because it is not something planned ahead. The planned major features are either added or cancelled for this version already so it's mostly about fixing remaining problems, ammending documentation etc.

bx83

Would you say the time to fix remaining problems is closer to one month or six months?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Mon 15/07/2019 13:20:25
Would you say the time to fix remaining problems is closer to one month or six months?

Closer to one month. Maybe two.

But it's mostly a matter of forcing myself than actual amount of work.

Laura Hunt

One question regarding the new cameras' resizing capabilities. I'm guessing that if your game uses pixel art, then any changes to the camera size that aren't round multipliers of the original resolution would make the pixels look... not very good, right?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: notarobotyet on Wed 17/07/2019 10:11:19
One question regarding the new cameras' resizing capabilities. I'm guessing that if your game uses pixel art, then any changes to the camera size that aren't round multipliers of the original resolution would make the pixels look... not very good, right?

There could be pixel rows of varied width, and missing rows if you zoom out too, yes. Whether this is "good" or acceptable is up to developer to decide.
Best way to find out is to make a test game with your assets.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 17/07/2019 16:50:39
Quote from: notarobotyet on Wed 17/07/2019 10:11:19

There could be pixel rows of varied width, and missing rows if you zoom out too, yes. Whether this is "good" or acceptable is up to developer to decide.
Best way to find out is to make a test game with your assets.

Definitely something I've been putting off for quite a while now, but switching gears in the middle of a project is always a delicate thing. Thanks, this does help in any case!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: notarobotyet on Wed 17/07/2019 18:36:02
Definitely something I've been putting off for quite a while now, but switching gears in the middle of a project is always a delicate thing. Thanks, this does help in any case!

I meant, test game, not upgrading your game. It should be fairly simple to test a new feature by making a new game of a template with 1 room and scripting few commands.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 17/07/2019 19:12:06
Quote from: notarobotyet on Wed 17/07/2019 18:36:02

I meant, test game, not upgrading your game. It should be fairly simple to test a new feature by making a new game of a template with 1 room and scripting few commands.

Oh yes I know what you meant. But even that is a small detour that I can't really afford right now. Having to take care of the writing, coding, sound/music and most of the puzzle/game design, I'm never not busy with something else, so this will probably end up in my "...And When Everything Else Is Done, We'll Do This If We Have Time Left" pile for now. But it's good to have an idea of what to expect, and prioritize accordingly.

Cassiebsg

I just got and installed the newest beta on a new computer, and of course I run into the "can't load agsnative.dll" problem.
Maybe it would be a good idea to post the link to the fix on the 1st post, along with the link to the beta?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Cassiebsg

I would give you a thumbs up, but we're missing that icon, so I'll give you a  :kiss: instead. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

proximity

I've just tried beta 5. Mouse speed is extremely slow, even on max speed (10.0). I don't know if this is a known issue but I just want you to know.
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Sun 28/07/2019 13:01:17
I've just tried beta 5. Mouse speed is extremely slow, even on max speed (10.0). I don't know if this is a known issue but I just want you to know.

There's something wrong with how mouse control settings are saved in config. Try adding
Code: ags
Mouse.ControlEnabled = true;
at the game start as a temporary workaround.

bx83

Continuous scaling on one of my walkable areas failed and I had to change ID (from 1 to 2) to get it back. Heads up.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Sat 03/08/2019 12:54:03
Continuous scaling on one of my walkable areas failed and I had to change ID (from 1 to 2) to get it back. Heads up.

Could you give more details about what happened?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk