AGS 3.5.0 - RC 5 (new upcoming version)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 30/04/2019 20:38:49

Previous topic - Next topic

bx83

I changed the shape of my walkable area several times, running the game to check each time. It was always on continuous, but perhaps I flipped it to non-continuous scaling, then back again. At some point, continuous scaling didn't work anymore. It didn't matter if I left the room and returned, or saved the room, exited the editor, then went back again.
I changed the walkable area to 2, from 1, copied the continuous scaling values to it, and it worked again.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Sun 04/08/2019 05:22:09
I changed the shape of my walkable area several times, running the game to check each time. It was always on continuous, but perhaps I flipped it to non-continuous scaling, then back again. At some point, continuous scaling didn't work anymore. It didn't matter if I left the room and returned, or saved the room, exited the editor, then went back again.
I changed the walkable area to 2, from 1, copied the continuous scaling values to it, and it worked again.

Are you sure you did not also set scaling in script?
Do you still have that room where area does not work? Could you send it to me to look into?

bx83

https://redrom.ltd/img/room27.zip

No scaling set in script, except under conditions of a variable not set at the time.

bx83

Also: It ignores 'SetMultitaskingMode(0);' - clicking outside the window doesn't pause the game.

Crimson Wizard

For information, for last few weeks I was a bit stuck fixing several bugs related to global screen effects (fades, tints, shaking etc) which were broken after introduction of custom viewports.
My hopes is that if I'll be able to finish this in couple of days, then I'll make another update and address other recently reported problems.

Crimson Wizard

bx83

Quote from: bx83 on Thu 08/08/2019 02:48:15
Also: It ignores 'SetMultitaskingMode(0);' - clicking outside the window doesn't pause the game.

Does this happen when run from editor or when run from compiled exe?

* When run from the editor with debugger attached multitasking cannot be disabled, for technical reasons;
* Also it's a known thing that game pauses roughly in 1 second after switching out.

We tested 3.5.0 recently and it seems to behave correctly in this regard.

I looked into your room issue, but did not notice anything wrong.
After importing the room into test game, I repainted walkable area 1 in another location, and when player walks on it the scaling changes continiously according to the settings.
My only guess so far is that this was a scripting problem: either scaling was changed on that area, or manual scaling was applied to character under certain conditions.
If there will be similar issues, I'd really like to have a compiled game exe if possible to test it under debugger and see what's going on.

Crimson Wizard

Update: AGS 3.5.0 - Beta 6

ZIP file: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.15/AGS-3.5.0-Beta6.zip
Linux pack for the editor: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.15/AGS.3.5.0.15.Editor.Linux.Pack.zip

Changes since Beta 5:

Updated Empty, Sierra, BASS, Verb Coin templates to new versions assembled by morganw: they all now have same demo room made by CaesarCub and co, and tidied scripts.
Also replaced classic MI-9Verb template with new Thumbleweed template by abstauber.

Editor:
- Allow to change IDs of most of the game items in the project tree by swapping two existing items. This is done by calling a context menu and choosing "Change ID".
  (Please note that will affect any logic where these items are referenced by number, including property values, script and even savegames)
- Fixed fonts are not displayed in editor until you open them on a preview pane (regression in 3.5.0)

Script API:
- Added AudioClip.ID which corresponds to clip's position in Game.AudioClips array.
- Deprecated Character.IgnoreWalkbehinds and Object.IgnoreWalkbehinds. (they do not work with D3D and OGL drivers, and it's possible to make wanted effect using baselines etc)

Engine:
- Made debug overlay (console and fps counter) display above any game effects (tint, fade, etc)
- Fixed BlackBox-in transition done by software renderer could have wrong aspect ratio.
- Fixed Direct3D and OpenGL displayed pink (255, 0, 255) fade as transparent.
And a bunch of 3.5.0 regressions:
- Fixed software render crashing if room viewport is beyond screen (again!)
- Fixed viewport and camera pointers could be still used to access and control deleted objects (sort of)
- Fixed lots of various bugs related to on screen effects (room transitions, fades, tints, screen flips)
- Fixed Mouse.ControlEnabled value was not saved correctly to the user config on game exit

PS. I think we may have "Release Candidate" after this beta version unless something critical is noticed. But first we need to sort out the new manual source, because the help file it produces is a bit messy.

morganw

Just to add, template changes were a mixture of tidying up and rewriting to try and make them all more consistent (particularly with regarding to GUIs pausing the game).
There are some instructions listed in the new (unfinished) manual.

Sierra-Style
This was mainly tidying up and replacing the keyboard movement.
https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/TemplateSierraStyle.html

BASS
This was a partial rewrite to remove redundant code, reduce the amount of unhandled clicks, and give reversable controls (so you can make it work like actual BASS if you want).
https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/TemplateBASS.html

VerbCoin
This was from scratch and I've tried to make the simplest thing that worked and was round.
Inventory handling is similar to BASS this time around.
https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/TemplateVerbcoin.html

bx83

Just a small question, probably staring me in the face: what is function RemoveActiveInventory()?
Can't find any documentation on it, can't find any posts on it, seems self-explanatory, but when I type it in I just get "parse error at lines 123". That's it.
Works the same as RemoveActiveInventory (no functiopn brackets).
Is it just the same thing as cCharacter.ActiveInentory=null?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Mon 12/08/2019 11:58:21
Just a small question, probably staring me in the face: what is function RemoveActiveInventory()?
Can't find any documentation on it, can't find any posts on it, seems self-explanatory, but when I type it in I just get "parse error at lines 123". That's it.
Works the same as RemoveActiveInventory (no functiopn brackets).
Is it just the same thing as cCharacter.ActiveInentory=null?

There's no such function in AGS, probably it comes from one of your script modules? Try calling context menu over this function and do "Go to definition" to see where it is declared.

bx83

Yep, it's a boolean :P

Okay - a real error. I've noticed a strange transition flicker. This didn't happen in ags 3.5.0. b5:

https://redrom.ltd/img/noclick.mp4

but does happen in b6:

https://redrom.ltd/img/clickb6.mp4

Same code; room transitions for every room (except doing instant transition occasionally) are affected. I've done nothing except set the room transition to Crossfade in General Settings, and instantiated with .ChangeRoom; no other code.

I'm using openGL for my compiled exe and debug mode game.

Crimson Wizard

I confirm, there's some 1 frame blink before the transition in a new room, looking into this right now.

bx83

Another error or god knows; I get this quiet a lot, even if compile is fine, and I compile again with no errors:

'Unable to register for Windows Game Explorer: Unable to replace resource: EndUpdateResource for __GDF_XML failed: 0000006E'

I thought pre-win-2000 was deprecated, hence why Game Explorer?

No other processes seem to be interfering with game during compile eg. Spideroak

bx83

Real bug possibly #2:
On compile, the compiler produces 2 sets of files, depending on whether you've set a game name as different to game directory.
I delete them every time, and each time I compile, they're recreated.

I used to have a directory called 'LOCI_GAME_FILES' (containing Game.agf), which would make LOCI_GAME_FILES.exe and LOCI_GAME_FILES.001 and .002 resource files.
I renamed the game and made it separate from the directory; My .exe etc is 'LoCI', though the directory it and Game.agf are in is still called LOCI_GAME_FILES.

Although the .exe name is correct (LoCI.exe) and not doubled, the segmented files (containing the game sprites etc. LoCI.001 and LoCI.002) are doubled.
The doubles are LOCI_GAME_FILES.001 and .002, edited when I was using pre 3.5.0 betas, and also date as such - 27/July; and the other two are the current LoCI sprite etc. files
They are both different sizes; LOCI_GAME_FILES.00# is smaller as sprites were compressed.

Is this a bug or a Window's thing?

cat

Quote from: bx83 on Tue 13/08/2019 07:12:23
'Unable to register for Windows Game Explorer: Unable to replace resource: EndUpdateResource for __GDF_XML failed: 0000006E'

I've seen this as well with a previous beta (4?), but since it goes away when compiling again, I didn't really care.

morganw

Quote from: cat on Tue 13/08/2019 09:56:02
I've seen this as well with a previous beta (4?), but since it goes away when compiling again, I didn't really care.

Normally these types of issues are because something has locked the file. Having the 'Compiled' folder open in File Explorer whilst compiling can be enough to trigger this.

Slasher

Quote from: bx83 on Sat 03/08/2019 12:54:03
Continuous scaling on one of my walkable areas failed and I had to change ID (from 1 to 2) to get it back. Heads up.
This has happened to me a few times in previous versions..

Laura Hunt

Quote from: morganw on Tue 13/08/2019 10:17:08
Quote from: cat on Tue 13/08/2019 09:56:02

Normally these types of issues are because something has locked the file. Having the 'Compiled' folder open in File Explorer whilst compiling can be enough to trigger this.

Also can happen sometimes if you are backing up changes to your files to Dropbox in real time. I've gotten some "OMG THE FILESYSTEM IS CORRUPT" errors that turned out to be nothing more than that.

Crimson Wizard

Another error or god knows; I get this quiet a lot, even if compile is fine, and I compile again with no errors:

This often happens if you for example have opened compiled folder with windows explorer

I thought pre-win-2000 was deprecated, hence why Game Explorer?

Idk about pre-win-2000, but game explorer exists in Windows 7 still.

Quote from: bx83 on Tue 13/08/2019 08:08:05
Real bug possibly #2:
On compile, the compiler produces 2 sets of files, depending on whether you've set a game name as different to game directory.
I delete them every time, and each time I compile, they're recreated.

Since AGS beta there's a new setting in General Settings which let you type real name of binary to use, regardless of the folder name.
Please check what is it set to. Also, please delete all old files from Compiled and try again.

bx83

QuoteSince AGS beta there's a new setting in General Settings which let you type real name of binary to use, regardless of the folder name.
Please check what is it set to. Also, please delete all old files from Compiled and try again.

Done and done. The other, older, pre-beta ones keep regenerating on compile. I've set the name to LoCI; these files work fine (LoCI.exe, LoCI.001 etc) and are the latest build, as it should be.
However, the LOCI_GAME_FILE.00x keep being regenerated, with an old modified date no less.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk