AGS 3.5.0 - RC 5 (new upcoming version)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 30/04/2019 20:38:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 28/08/2019 16:48:25
do i need to change Script API version?

Depends on what API version do you want. If you want to have access to latest script commands too, then set it to Highest.

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 28/08/2019 16:48:25
I notice a drop in volume...

Could you elaborate?

Slasher

The music drop is probably Win10 after a massive Update....

cheers

Crimson Wizard

Update: AGS 3.5.0 - Beta 7

We are coming close, imo...

Installer (testing out): https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.16/AGS-3.5.0.16-Beta7.exe
ZIP file: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.16/AGS-3.5.0.16-Beta7.zip
(zip file now includes Linux pack too)

Changes since Beta 6:

Updated Thumbleweed template to 1.2.
Replaced manual with the new community-made version (but based on old one). This one may be still raw and is going to be corrected and ammended further.

Editor:
- Alphabetically sort audio clips in the drop lists.
- Sync variable type selector in Global Variables pane with the actual list of supported script types.
- In preferences added an option telling whether to automatically reload scripts changed externally.
- Fixed changing character's starting room did not update list of characters on property pane of a room editor until user switches editing mode or reloads the room.
- Fixed room editor kept displaying selection box over character after its starting room has changed.
- Fixed room editor not suggesting user to save the room after changing object's sprite by double-clicking on it.
- Fixed autocomplete not showing up correctly if user has multiple monitors.

Engine:
- Removed limits on built-in text wrapping (was 50 lines of 200 chars max each).
- Print debug overlay text using Game.NormalFont (was hard-coded to default speech font).
- Implemented "--tell" set of commands that print certain engine and/or game data to stdout.

Linix:
- $APPDATADIR$ script paths are now mapped to "$XDG_DATA_HOME/ags-common", making sure it is a writeable location.

Also

Editor regressions and fixing new features:
- Fixed room resolution type not getting upgraded to "real" correctly when importing older games.
- Fixed low-res sprites are not scaled up in room/gui preview
- Fixed room edges not drawn correctly for non-round zoom values
- Made mouse clicks and other events only interact with the selected room layer
- Don't draw selection boxes etc for non-selected room layer
- Fixed key presses were handled by a locked room layer
- Fixed ViewFrame's linked sound and "Score Sound" are assigned first existing clip by default (instead of no clip).

Engine regressions and fixing new features:
- Fixed GUIControl.Enabled not being set correctly if interface is temporarily disabled at the same point
- Fixed room background blinking during certain transitions
- Fixed elements appearing on screen too early if they were enabled after ordering ChangeRoom.
- Fixed legacy letterboxed mode drawn incorrectly.
- Got back the old pathfinder to be used when running pre-3.5.0 games (because some scripts rely on its behavior).

Fetito

Hello!

The dark theme is part of the installer package or do I have to install it manually later on?

Thank you!

Crimson Wizard

Maybe we could add it to the installer actually, if it's preferable.

AGD2

Wow, haven't looked in here for a long while. It seems that some nice improvements have been made. Well done!

So, I downloaded the latest beta today and tried to compile Mage's Initiation (which was last compiled in AGS 3.4.3.1). I loaded an old savegame from v3.4.3.1. It restored and played just fine. I then immediately saved over another existing savegame file and quit the game. When I next loaded it and tried to restore this most recent savegame I had created, it crashed with this fatal exception:

Illegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00431C78; program pointer is +2050, ACI version 3.5.0.16, gtags (52,0)

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)

Here's the CrashInfo.dmp file if you need to investigate it.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Wed 11/09/2019 02:43:44
So, I downloaded the latest beta today and tried to compile Mage's Initiation (which was last compiled in AGS 3.4.3.1). I loaded an old savegame from v3.4.3.1. It restored and played just fine. I then immediately saved over another existing savegame file and quit the game. When I next loaded it and tried to restore this most recent savegame I had created, it crashed with this fatal exception:

Here's the CrashInfo.dmp file if you need to investigate it.

Could you send us the save? I think it may be easier to find out what's wrong under debugger.

AGD2

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 11/09/2019 02:58:33
Could you send us the save? I think it may be easier to find out what's wrong under debugger.

Sure. Here you go: agssave006.zip

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Wed 11/09/2019 03:34:06
Sure. Here you go: agssave006.zip

Ah, do I need to use some updated version? I receive an error telling that number of audio clips has changed...
QuoteMismatching number of Audio Clips (game: 651, save: 715)

AGD2

Of the compiled game? Maybe. The version you have is probably an older beta.

I can send you a newer build if you need it?

Sledgy

add 3D functions :)

and internet/multiplayer

bx83

That's going to take a while to develop...

morganw

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 11/09/2019 01:05:45
Selecting the theme writes it into the user profile, so this isn't straight forward to do.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: morganw on Wed 11/09/2019 10:18:46
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 11/09/2019 01:05:45
Selecting the theme writes it into the user profile, so this isn't straight forward to do.

What about installing theme in the editor (sub)folder?

morganw

You can do that but it raises the questions:

• Do you default to browsing to there for the theme?
  • Should the Editor avoid copying it and use it directly if it finds it there?
  • How/Should you upgrade the theme if a newer one appears?
  • How do you differentiate a custom one from the original?
  • How do you check that the theme is 'compatible'?
Maybe it should be serialised into the other settings, or just included as an embedded resource to directly select. As it is now, I think if something tries to manage it, it will encounter complications later on.

Crimson Wizard

@AGD2

I found a mistake in save loading, I think it may happen if a significant amount of managed objects (like Strings, dynamic sprites and so on) were created in script at some point and then deleted.
Here's the hotfixed engine that should load that savegame properly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bphc1uoovlus7it/acwin-3.5.0.16-hotfix.zip?dl=0

AGD2

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 11/09/2019 23:53:37
@AGD2

I found a mistake in save loading, I think it may happen if a significant amount of managed objects (like Strings, dynamic sprites and so on) were created in script at some point and then deleted.
Here's the hotfixed engine that should load that savegame properly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bphc1uoovlus7it/acwin-3.5.0.16-hotfix.zip?dl=0

Yes, that seems to have fixed the crash, thanks!

I also noticed that if I ALT+X out of the game after using F5 to test it from the editor, it now always gives a message "The game engine does not appear to have shut down properly. If the problem persists, post the problem on the Tech forum."  I figure that's probably the intended behaviour, but just mentioning it, in case it's not.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGD2 on Thu 12/09/2019 03:53:45
I also noticed that if I ALT+X out of the game after using F5 to test it from the editor, it now always gives a message "The game engine does not appear to have shut down properly. If the problem persists, post the problem on the Tech forum."  I figure that's probably the intended behaviour, but just mentioning it, in case it's not.

This did not happen before, I will investigate too.

bx83

I also get the “The game engine does not appear to have shut down...” error as well, every single time, when I close the game using the X in the upper right of the screen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk