AGS 3.5.0 - RC 5 (new upcoming version)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 30/04/2019 20:38:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/10/2019 18:40:03
I'm not sure if this should be saved per room or globally. I can see use cases for both.

Hm, I made it per room, it's currently under revision. Not sure how global might work?

cat

You select "Edit this room's" Objects, you close the room, when you open another room, again "Objects" is selected.

Sorry that I was late with this thought. It is not that important.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/10/2019 18:45:19
You select "Edit this room's" Objects, you close the room, when you open another room, again "Objects" is selected.

Oh, I see. Well, this would be much easier to do, but then it will conflict with the first idea, because program won't know whether to apply last saved room's selection or this remembered global selection on room load.

Cassiebsg

I'm fine with by room setting, specially if it's already implemented.  (nod)
At least you know that it will open the room in the last state you left it.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

To keep both per room and global selection there will be a need for a switch in preferences probably.

Crimson Wizard

Update: AGS 3.5.0 - RC 2

Second release candidate.

Installer (testing out): https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.18/AGS-3.5.0.18-RC2.exe
ZIP file: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.18/AGS-3.5.0.18-RC2.zip
(zip file now includes Linux pack too)

Changes since RC1:

Editor:
- Added "Scale movement speed with room's mask resolution" to General Settings. This is a backward compatible option that supposed to be False by default.
- Room editor remembers last selected item in each room (this is saved in `roomXXX.crm.user` file).

Also

Editor regressions and fixing new features:
- Fixed new sprite import dialog ignoring default transparency setting from editor preferences.
- Fixed room editor sometimes continues with chosen action if you click middle mouse button trying to bring "Copy coordinates" context menu.
- Fixed imported bitmap font did not get loaded into editor preview immediately (required restarting editor).

robcolton

I've been having an issue with where it complains that the game engine wasn't shut down properly. If I restart my PC, sometimes it corrects the situation. Once it works, it works for a while but at some point it will stop working.

When AGS is in this state, compiling the game and then running the EXE does work as expected, but that grows inconvenient.

This is the error:

Error: The operation was canceled by the user
Version: AGS 3.5.0.18

System.Exception: The operation was canceled by the user ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The operation was canceled by the user
   at AGS.Editor.Tasks.RunEXEFile(String exeName, String parameter, Boolean raiseEventOnExit)
   at AGS.Editor.Tasks.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.InteractiveTasks.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at AGS.Editor.InteractiveTasks.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolBarManager.ToolbarEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolStripExtended.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

bx83

I've had a problem importing images from file in rc2.
I imported a few .png images, and the results were almost there, but not quite. The area where I had used a circle to cut off all 4 corners of the image, was now in the original square shape; the bordering around the icon had to be 1px thick, but in places it was 2 or 3. Basically, the image appeared to have been set to the most recent minus one edit, though I don't know how that's possible. I used Photoshop CS6 for the graphics.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Mon 14/10/2019 09:30:20
I've had a problem importing images from file in rc2.
I imported a few .png images, and the results were almost there, but not quite. The area where I had used a circle to cut off all 4 corners of the image, was now in the original square shape; the bordering around the icon had to be 1px thick, but in places it was 2 or 3. Basically, the image appeared to have been set to the most recent minus one edit, though I don't know how that's possible. I used Photoshop CS6 for the graphics.

I have to ask for elaboration again, because I dont understand how much of this information is relevant to the problem. You are referring to some "edits", but I don't know the history of your edits.

Is the problem in:
* importing a sprite produces wrong results (as in - transparency or some colors are wrong), or
* importing a sprite resets a sprite to some older variant, which you imported previously?

Also, frankly, I don't understand your screenshots. Are they depicting new sprite, old sprite, comparing them? are these source sprites or sprites after importing in AGS?

It may also help if you tell which transparency setting did you use when importing a sprite.
Could you upload a png to let us test it?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: robcolton on Sun 13/10/2019 21:42:04
I've been having an issue with where it complains that the game engine wasn't shut down properly. If I restart my PC, sometimes it corrects the situation. Once it works, it works for a while but at some point it will stop working.

When AGS is in this state, compiling the game and then running the EXE does work as expected, but that grows inconvenient.

This is the error:

So, to clarify, this error shows up when you try to run game under debugger, with F5?
We had similar reports in the past, but it was unclear what is usually a problem. The error message itself indicates that some external "force" prevents game exe from starting up. Maybe operating system locks the file for some reason, or this could be antivirus. Antiviruses do not generally like AGS for some reason.

bx83

Importing a sprite produces wrong result.

The first image is the actual sprite I'm importing. The second sprite is what's been imported.

Transparency setting? What's the default? It's a 32bit colour game.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Mon 14/10/2019 13:55:57
Transparency setting? What's the default? It's a 32bit colour game.

In 3.5.0.18 we have fixed an issue and default transparency option is now taken from Editor Preferences (File -> Preferences), as it was in previous versions.

What were your intentions anyway? Did you want transparent border, or something else?

Could you still upload the image? Maybe paint the face over to prevent its usage by other people. It's just that it's hard to tell what's going on there simply by looking on screenshots.

bx83

As can be seen in the 2nd image, the background is grey (should be white, and the black border is uneven). In the imported image, black border is 3px thick in top, 2px think on left side. The original image has 1px thick black borders. I don't know why this is happening, it's the first time ever.

Crimson Wizard

Really, I cannot say anything without knowing more details first, and doing an investigation.

1. Seeing actual image file, and being able to check the pixels.
2. Knowing import settings.

Maybe other AGS users may know something about such errors?, but I don't.

robcolton

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 14/10/2019 13:55:14
Quote from: robcolton on Sun 13/10/2019 21:42:04

This is the error:

So, to clarify, this error shows up when you try to run game under debugger, with F5?
We had similar reports in the past, but it was unclear what is usually a problem. The error message itself indicates that some external "force" prevents game exe from starting up. Maybe operating system locks the file for some reason, or this could be antivirus. Antiviruses do not generally like AGS for some reason.

It shows up when I use the Run icon on the toolbar, which is the same thing as F5 I'm guessing. My AGS folder is in my OneDrive documents folder, I'll try to pause OneDrive and exclude it from virus checking and see if that helps.

morganw

Quote from: robcolton on Mon 14/10/2019 23:24:18
My AGS folder is in my OneDrive documents folder, I'll try to pause OneDrive and exclude it from virus checking and see if that helps.
Also, Windows Explorer can accidentally lock the files whilst trying to look at the directory contents. So you could also try closing all Explorer windows which are displaying game directories.

dbuske

I am using a preview version of Windows 10, so this might be more a problem of windows preview???
I can't get the edges to work. I can't seem to find them.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

eri0o

You can manually type the edge position on the room properties and then adjust manually providing the Edge layer is selected and visible.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: dbuske on Tue 15/10/2019 18:35:03
I am using a preview version of Windows 10, so this might be more a problem of windows preview???
I can't get the edges to work. I can't seem to find them.

Do you mean you can't find "Edges" option in the menu where you select editing mode, or that you cannot see them inside the room?

cat

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 13/10/2019 15:08:48
- Room editor remembers last selected item in each room (this is saved in `roomXXX.crm.user` file).
Works great! Thanks for implementing it!

Edit: I think I've found a bug: Open a room, edit one hotspot (draw a hotspot area somewhere), save the room, close it and open it again. The same hotspot I was editing before is selected, but the editing buttons don't show up in the tool bar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk