AGS 3.5.0 - RC 5 (new upcoming version)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 30/04/2019 20:38:49

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

I tried the installer for the first time and it worked without problems. Looking forward to the release!

bx83

I think I may have found a new bug.

When importing an image (or multiple images), 'from source', of a different size, the editor either

a) says 'Tile selection for sprite 12345 was out-of-bounds for image '\path\to\image' due to the new source image being smaller; or
b) takes the new image that is bigger, cuts out a section starting from top-left of the size the original, and updates the original incorrectly.

From memory, if it's the same size, image import works fine.

Only 'Replace From File' works -- but this isn't very good for, you know, replacing 300 animation frames.
Both old and new 'from source' images are PNG; new ones are created at a newer date (duh), in the original source directory. Import settings were transparency pixel top-left, and import alpha layer (which it did fine)
They were generated from Photoshop CS6 (though I originally got them from an animator, on another program and computer, probably not Photoshop but an Adobe Animate or Spine 2.0 export).

So basically: image import does not work on an image of a different size.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Thu 21/11/2019 23:07:47
When importing an image (or multiple images), 'from source', of a different size, the editor either

a) says 'Tile selection for sprite 12345 was out-of-bounds for image '\path\to\image' due to the new source image being smaller; or
b) takes the new image that is bigger, cuts out a section starting from top-left of the size the original, and updates the original incorrectly.

Could you clarify something:
a) In the first case, if the image is smaller, where the erroneous tile is actually located now, or is it removed? Does it still reimport other tiles that fit?
b) In the second case, do you mean that the tiles themselves have different size, or they are located in a different place on the source image?

bx83

First case, smaller-than-original image: I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If it's a smaller image, it just fails with ‘Tile selection for sprite 12345 was out-of-bounds for image '\path\to\image'. The original image and the replacement are both from the same directory source, same name, same file, but one is smaller, or updated. The original is left there; the new replacement one is still there after this process.

Second case, larger image: take a picture. You have a small frame for it to be put in, but the new photo is larger than this and won't fit in the frame. To fit it in the frame, you push it into the upper left corner, and then shave off the excess on the bottom and right sides with a knife. You now have the smaller image view of the larger picture; it's cropped off and useless.

Crimson Wizard

Sorry, I was not sure whether you are speaking of a tiled import, or full image import, hence my questions. By "tile located" I meant which part(s) of source image you import.

Do I understand correctly that you were speaking of importing full image, and then resizing source and trying to reimport?

EDIT: Yes, I tested this now and full image reimport does not work as in 3.4.0 anymore if you resize the source.

morganw

This is by design in terms of how the spritesheet reloading works, since there is an assumption that the spritesheet dimensions don't change. But I'll look at adding a flag that determines whether to honour the tile dimensions, and default that to off when the original import used the entire image.

bx83

It definitely did in the latest Stable version.

Not tile import, full image import.
What... is a tiled import?

It's actually a bug now? 

I can say it's an essential feature. What I would do was a batch action in photoshop, import all images (perhaps 100+), do a view, not like it and realise it needs changing, alter batch action and image size by one row of pixels, and then reimport. Now, I have to delete all frames in view, then everything in sprites, then reimport, etc. It's very tedious.

Crimson Wizard

The above is a regression compared to 3.4.0, it appeared after sprite import rewrite in 3.5.0.

Quote from: bx83 on Fri 22/11/2019 19:51:02
What... is a tiled import?

Tiled import is when you have a tile sheet in one big image and import it cutting by parts. You enable this by ticking a "tiled import" checkbox. This is an old feature and still present, but only since 3.5.0 you can actually reimport tiles. Previously only reimporting full image worked correctly.

bx83

Really? That might be useful with my animation...

morganw

If your animation frames can be exported to fit a grid (or a single row or single column), it might be useful to you:
https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/EditorSprite.html#import-sprite

It probably depends on which external tools you use and whether it is more convinient for those to use this approach or use separate image files. At the moment, there is no difference from the game engine's perspective about how the sprite was imported as they are all packed individually.

Crimson Wizard

Update: AGS 3.5.0 - RC 5

Another release candidate... we keep fixing recently found mistakes in new functionality.

Installer (testing out): https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.21/AGS-3.5.0.21-RC5.exe
ZIP file: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.21/AGS-3.5.0.21-RC5.zip
(zip file now includes Linux pack too)
Android Launcher APK: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.21/AGS-3.5.0.21-debug.apk
Android native libs (for making your own APK): https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/download/v.3.5.0.21/AGS-3.5.0.21-android-libs.zip

Changes since RC4:

Engine:
- Fixed engine crashing if Object.SetView is called with a view that does not have any loops.

Also

Editor regressions and fixing new features:
- Fixed reimporting full sprite from source fails if the source image was resized (regression since 3.4.0).
- Allow to select locked room objects and areas with a mouse cursor (previous behavior was found very inconvenient, and besides you may select them in dropdown lists anyway...).
- Display "locked" cursor when paint operation is denied for the room area (makes it easier to realize when you are denied to draw because you locked the area).
- Fixed room areas require two attempts to begin painting.
- Fixed cursor blinking when dragging a room edge.

cat

I have a problem with the current Android Launcher APK.
I have a game compiled with 3.4.1.15 and I can run it just fine on my phone with the newest launcher. However, as soon as I switch to the German translation, it doesn't work and I get an error message that the translation file is corrupt.
However, my partner can run the German translation on his phone. Any ideas?

Crimson Wizard

A quick update, we are planning to make the "final" 3.5.0 release during upcoming weekend, if nothing goes terribly wrong in the meanwhile.

After that there could still be patches of course, if bad bugs are found.

Next 3.5.1 update is pre-planned by Nick Sonneveld to be focused on Android port update, and maybe will also have some minor general additions (too early to tell).

Quote from: cat on Sat 30/11/2019 21:30:27
I have a problem with the current Android Launcher APK.
I have a game compiled with 3.4.1.15 and I can run it just fine on my phone with the newest launcher. However, as soon as I switch to the German translation, it doesn't work and I get an error message that the translation file is corrupt.
However, my partner can run the German translation on his phone. Any ideas?

Sorry, I forgot to reply earlier.
You do have the translation file in the game directory, right? Have you tried reuploading it? What is the error message exactly?
Maybe it's either actually corrupt, or some problem with finding a file.
Does your partner use same version of launcher?

bx83

Final? There are 65 bugs.
But that's okay, I've never solved one :p

cat

@CW:
I just recompiled the game with the latest AGS version (3.5.0.21 from the installer) and now the German translation works on Android with the latest launcher version. I think it's not worth putting effort into investigating why an old version did not work.
A few things I noticed in the Android launcher app:
1) The credits don't work, I just see a black screen with the heading "AGS".
2) There is no way to find out which version of the Android launcher is installed (that's why I made sure to uninstall the current and install the newest manually)
3) MIDI does not work. I think there is an extra component that needs to be copied somewhere, but I can't remember. Would be great if you could link that below the release so people can find it easily.

Edit: Apart from the MIDI issue (that should be solved by providing the necessary information, I can test it afterwards if you like), I think nothing is stopping a release.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bx83 on Thu 12/12/2019 03:47:41
Final? There are 65 bugs.

This is not "final AGS". This is final 3.5.0. and when I say "final" it's means it's a checkpoint. When the version is in development for a long time it becomes apparent that either we make this checkpoint and gather and release what we've got, or continue for another unknown period of time, forcing people to wait more for new functionality.

Some if not most of these bugs were existing for a long time now. The versions of AGS you were using in the past had them already. There will be next versions, where these bugs will be fixed.

I've been saying this some time ago, replying to similar post of yours: we separate errors that are not letting people to finish making their games, and those that make inconvenience or may be worked around.

If you actually know errors that do not let you complete your game, then please say so. I've been waiting roughly a month for reports on serious bugs in the new version. There were no new ones in last 2 weeks.

I just got to a new job, and it is very not easy for me to spare time on AGS now. I do not know how much I will be able to spare in the future. This means that if the development continues, this version may as well never come out.

If you know someone else who will be willing to fix these now, then you may direct them to our repository.

bx83

Okay well that's a relief, I thought error lists were per version, not per project.
Luckily I've found none which stop development of my game, or give the dreaded 'your file is corrupt' one.
Good luck with your new job :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk