MAGS May "What are they doing in there?" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/05/2019 06:04:18

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS May?

A Suspicious Date
3 (25%)
Cave of Avarice
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Sat 15/06/2019 02:30:23

Stupot

Time to find out what you've all been doing in there all month.

Two games. Please vote using the poll above.

A Suspicious Date
by Artium/Tuathlait/Durq

Cave of Avarice
by Blondbraid, cat and Slasher

Topic: What are they doing in there?
Chosen by: Retro Wolf
Deadline: May 31st

Maybe there's somebody suspicious making some strange noises in their shed.
Maybe you need to sneak in when they're not around.
Perhaps the player is the one building something secret that they don't want other people to know?
Is the person innocent and the neighbours are just paranoid and nosy? Maybe they're brewing alcohol during prohibition! Maybe it's a killer robot about to be unleashed on the world and no one believes you!

These are just ideas and the theme can be interpreted in any way you wish.
Previously made graphics and sounds can be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLjwSpZ6Cs

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Mandle

That video is a masterpiece!

I love how we never find out
Spoiler
who the dangerous one is: the titular "he" or the narrator, but my money's on the narrator.
[close]

Kastchey

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 01/05/2019 08:15:12
That video is a masterpiece!

I love how we never find out
Spoiler
who the dangerous one is: the titular "he" or the narrator, but my money's on the narrator.
[close]
I second that!
Spoiler
The obsessive stalker narrator, totally. The way it sounds, the angry mob waving rakes and torches is about to be gathered outside.
[close]

LostTrainDude

I can't see the video but I'm 100% sure is the Tom Waits' record :D
Because that's the exact thing that came to my mind upon reading the theme!

EDIT: Can see it on YouTube, not if embedded! Sorry  (roll)
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

VampireWombat

Hmm. Several possibilities. I need to choose carefully this time.

Retro Wolf

Quote from: LostTrainDude on Wed 01/05/2019 12:12:30
I can't see the video but I'm 100% sure is the Tom Waits' record :D
Because that's the exact thing that came to my mind upon reading the theme!

EDIT: Can see it on YouTube, not if embedded! Sorry  (roll)
Yup, I'm a big Tom Waits fan!

DBoyWheeler

Or it could be that it is just paranoia, and in the end, the player's neighbors/friends/whatever were just planning a surprise birthday party or something.  Just my take.

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Wed 01/05/2019 14:11:42
Yup, I'm a big Tom Waits fan!

I've always loved Tom Waits but had never heard that one before.

I fell in love with it and watched several times before realizing the voice... Shameful for a fan!

Blondbraid

So I've got an idea for an entry;
Just a short story about a former Dahomey Amazon turned mercenary who's been tasked with leading two explorers to a cave said to contain a great treasure. The mercenary has been tasked with guarding the entrance while the two explorers enter, but as screams and gunshots are heard from within only to be followed by silence, the mercenary chooses to investigate...

I have most of the story mapped out in my head and I'm certain I can make all the graphics I need in time, however, I'd love it if somebody good at programming and puzzles would want to join in, anyone interested?

Slasher

Hi  Blondbraid,

I don't have a lot of time as I am working on a full length game but I can spend a few hours on the back-end coding and some client-end stuff and help with puzzles, ideas etc..

PM me if you are still looking for help...

Slasher

Stupot

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 05/05/2019 18:00:46
Another great theme :)
Indeed. We've had a string of really unique themes. I was glad we got 4 entries last month in the end. It was looking like a no-show for a while there, and I was thinking it would be such a waste of a cracking theme.

This month's theme is also amazing. Let's not waste this one either  (wrong)

VampireWombat

I will do my best not to waste it. Currently all I have is the general setting aand starting premise. But I have no idea where to go with it.  I'd love to make it an exciting Goonies like adventure. But experience tells me to keep it to 1-5 rooms...

Kastchey

A quick question please.. Is "What are they doing out there" within or outside of this month's rules? ;)

Retro Wolf

Quote from: Kastchey on Tue 07/05/2019 14:05:19
A quick question please.. Is "What are they doing out there" within or outside of this month's rules? ;)
I'm OK with it if Stupot is.

Stupot

I'm OK with it if Retro Wolf is.

Technically, even "outer space" is in space  8-)

VampireWombat

The Truth is out there?

But yeah, last night I re-watched The Gate and now have a fairly solid idea for how to start my game at least. Still need to re-watch The Goonies, Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, and maybe a few other 80s movies...

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 09/05/2019 20:07:28
The Truth is out there?

But yeah, last night I re-watched The Gate and now have a fairly solid idea for how to start my game at least. Still need to re-watch The Goonies, Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, and maybe a few other 80s movies...

Hmmmm... Sounds like a lot of research fun... Or maybe excuses to just watch awesome movies... Either way, best of luck! All of those movies are pure class!

The makers of Stranger Things basically did pretty much the same, as did J.J.Abrams when he made Super 8, but then they did a LOT of work to make sure their final products were not just reference-filled fluff (arguably)...

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk