MAGS May "What are they doing in there?" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/05/2019 06:04:18

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS May?

A Suspicious Date
3 (25%)
Cave of Avarice
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Sat 15/06/2019 02:30:23

VampireWombat

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 12/05/2019 16:13:44
Hmmmm... Sounds like a lot of research fun... Or maybe excuses to just watch awesome movies... Either way, best of luck! All of those movies are pure class!

The makers of Stranger Things basically did pretty much the same, as did J.J.Abrams when he made Super 8, but then they did a LOT of work to make sure their final products were not just reference-filled fluff (arguably)...

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
The first season of Stranger Things felt mostly like a mix of Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg stuff. Especially Firestarter and E.T.
Super 8 didn't seem too much like any specific movies at least. I did pull my copy of Super 8 out as a possible influence. As well as Little Monsters, Fright Night, Silver Bullet, and The Willies...

But yeah, I'm trying to have it more of an 80s movie feel than being references. Specifically with a group of 2-4 boys having some kind of adventure. It's still up in the air on what kind of adventure, though. I know where the game will begin, but where it leads has several possibilities.

Stupot

@VW You could frame it so that these boys all have their smartphones taken away from them, so they have to go and find something to do the way we used to have to. Then they come across their mystery in a more 80s way.

Slasher

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 14/05/2019 04:43:50
@VW You could frame it so that these boys all have their smartphones taken away from them, so they have to go and find something to do the way we used to have to. Then they come across their mystery in a more 80s way.

You should have been around late 50's and the 60's... I remember having so much fun... Car tyres, making go carts, old bomb sites, bread and milk, bread and dripping, tin bath, coal fire, houses covered in cement dust, pea shooters, catapults... Happy days  (nod)

VampireWombat

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 14/05/2019 04:43:50
But that would mean completely changing the beginning, the one thing I do have planned out. And changing every other vague idea...

edit: It did at least make me think about changing the location of the main adventure. So thanks for that.

DBoyWheeler

I'm trying to work on my game as much as possible, but due to my chaotic work schedule, I'm gonna be cutting it close.

If I don't make it before the deadline, I'll just treat it as a stand-alone really short game.

[Update] I'm getting the feeling I might not make it, but again, I'll still work on it and treat it as a regular short game.  Heck, I could look at past MAGS competitions and use their themes as stand-alone short games--if nothing else, as proofs of concept for some of the characters I got as adoptables (er, long story).

[Update 2] Okay, it's now obvious I'm not gonna make it in time.  I'll work on the game idea later on and, as stated earlier, treat it as a stand-alone short game.  If it weren't for my crazy work schedule, I might have made it in the end.

VampireWombat

So, how's everyone's game doing?  1 week left to go...

Only progress I really have is figuring out ways to lengthen the start of the game. Hopefully I can find my groove this weekend...

Edit: So, no one's doing that great?

I still haven't found a groove and only finally got a workable sprite style yesterday. So, I'm simplifying things and there will be no grand adventure. But hopefully it'll still be unique.

Mandle

I'm considering making an entry all in one single day on the 30th because I had an idea that is maybe doable within that timeframe.

VampireWombat

artium

We are close to finishing but some polishing is required.

Just to make sure we don't miss the deadline accidentally, when exactly will the submission close? And by exactly I mean GMT time.

Mandle

Quote from: artium on Thu 30/05/2019 00:04:49
We are close to finishing but some polishing is required.

Just to make sure we don't miss the deadline accidentally, when exactly will the submission close? And by exactly I mean GMT time.

It's not usually strict down to the minute, but the official closing time is the end of the last day of the month as per the AGS website clock.

Stupot

I try to close the contest as close to (but not before) midnight UK time (be that GMT or BST). Sometimes it's not easy for me to get to the computer at that time and basically if I haven't officially closed the contest you can still submit. But don't rely on me being late. Sometimes i'm Bang on time.

Mandle

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 28/05/2019 16:42:52
I'm considering making an entry all in one single day on the 30th because I had an idea that is maybe doable within that timeframe.

My idea didn't seem as fun today as it did the other night at 1:30AM after a few drinks so it won't be happening.

I do have a nice framework I made for it though that something better can be made on it the future perhaps.

Best of luck to the rest!

VampireWombat

Luck? Who needs luck?
All I need is energy, motivation, and someone to remove the hedgehog that seems to have lodged itself in my sinus cavity overnight...

But yeah, I'll be doing the bulk of the "actual game" today. I have 4 possible ways to do most of it. The method that actually happens will be as big of a surprise to me as for anyone else.

I can make no promises about good plot, good gameplay, or anything like that. But I did make 101 frames of animation yesterday.

artium

A SUSPICIOUS DATE

User Interface
Right Click - Interact
Left Click - Examine
Q - Quit
You can select multiples items in the item list.

Art: Tuathlaith
Writing: Durq
Programming: Artium

Source Code: https://github.com/alkhimey/MAGS-May-19
Design Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_9XMXT4NHpskqNmfr3Z368IwtnsT4SCy-n_8gLwIrHk/edit?usp=sharing
AGS Game Page: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2347/

Durq

Regarding how to play A Suspicious Date, the player has to select the item(s) on the receipt and then select the relevant background item(s).

Items on the receipt can be selected and de-selected.

cat

A former Dahomey Amazon turned mercenary has been hired by two explorers for leading them to a cave said to contain a great treasure. The mercenary has been tasked with guarding the entrance while the two explorers enter, but as gunshots are heard from within only to be followed by silence, the mercenary chooses to investigate...

Blondbraid: Story, graphics and animations
cat: Puzzle design and coding
Slasher: Puzzle design and testing
CaptainD: Additional testing

I strongly suggest playing the game in fullscreen mode with sound turned on - you will know why when you do (no jumpscares, I promise - just great atmosphere)

Durq

I just finished playing through Cave of Avarice. Fantastic work! Good job to everyone involved in making it.

VampireWombat

Since I feel horrible and there's no way what I can have finished can compete against games made by groups, I'm going to drop out and rest.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 31/05/2019 21:38:54
Since I feel horrible and there's no way what I can have finished can compete against games made by groups, I'm going to drop out and rest.
@VampireWombat Yeah, I dropped out when I knew I couldn't complete it in time.  That and the Memorial Day Tornadoes in Dayton, Ohio caused the power to be out for two days, so that'd really screw up the plans too!

To all who have made it, good luck in the voting.

Kastchey

Two entries, fantastic! Well done teams.
I was working on something too, but didn't get nearly as much time this month as I thought so I won't finish before the deadline.

Some thoughts on the entries:

A Suspicious Date
Spoiler
It probably took me as much time to figure out how to play the game as to solve it but it wasn't frustrating to any degree, quite the opposite - it felt like a puzzle in itself and the game would have been too simple if the controls had been more obvious. The writing and visuals are very well done, the gameplay might be a bit lacking but as we know all too well, with MAGS games you often need to take some shortcuts.
The ending was a little abrupt (it would have been fun to see the boyfriend's reaction to all this mess) but overall it was an entertaining story and a cool little game, well done.
[close]
Cave of Avarice
Spoiler
What a sweet entry! Great story and atmosphere, and I really like your interpretation of the theme. The puzzles were very straightforward and quite easy, but I felt I was playing the game for the narration more than puzzles so that felt just about right. And you were completely right with the sound and full screen mode, cat - it really does add a lot to the overall experience. I second Durq, fantastic work!
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk