Sonic the hedgehog movie, lol

Started by KyriakosCH, Fri 03/05/2019 14:46:18

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Apparently has-been Jim Carrey's hasbeenity knows no bounds  :=

The movie production has pledged to alter Sonic's looks after it got mocked on youtube  (laugh) Can they also change Carrey? ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfEpqmdXhiU
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

Let me get one thing out the way. I love Jim Carrey and always will. I owe this guy so much. This role does seem to be a hark back to his classic era. I don't know if that is a bad thing in and of itself. I think Carrey as Robotnik is a great casting decision (would have been better 25 years ago but oh well). This does look like it might be a bit of a bad movie, but there are plenty of things wrong with it before we come to Jim Carrey. I'm hoping he makes it his own. I'm actually quite excited for this film.

I wouldn't call Carrey a has-been. Yes he has been in some films and he has been through some personal problems and he has been out of the limelight for a little while, but I think there's room in Hollywood for middle-aged Jim Carrey.

KyriakosCH

I think JC is a good actor, but he is such a huge douche that it takes away from it :)

Besides, does this even have an audience? Is Sonic in any decently selling game which is recent enough to allow for a young audience for the movie?
Cause i doubt 35+ year olds will bother to buy tickets for this.

dactylopus

I love Jim Carrey, and do not find him to be a douche.  I find him to be someone who just doesn't care what other people think and is enjoying his life in his own way.

I really wish they didn't decide to change the look of Sonic.  It would have been more fun the way it was.

It looks like it will be a dumb popcorn movie, but it could be fun, and I think Jim Carrey will do a great job.

Blondbraid

Some of the jokes were funny, but wow, that Sonic design was just so creepy, and I feel it's part of a big Hollywood trend unfortunately, taking cute cartoon characters and turning them into uncanny-valley monstrosities, similar to most live-action Disney movies have already done with the living furniture from Beauty and the Beast and the animals from Lion King.

CrashPL

As a somewhat of a Sonic fan, I really do wonder why they went with the super realistic uncanny valley look, when they just could've gone with the more stylized design choice. I mean, he's a cartoon hedgehog from another planet/dimension, he doesn't have to look all realistic with human proportions and whatnot. I mean, why not this

or this

or even this, if you still want to keep the revised look, but much less creepy and off-putting.

Another part of me also wonders why even going with the live action CGI movie to begin with. I mean, sure, it's the newest Hollywood fad and everybody and their grandmas have to do it, but the CGI cutscenes in games like Sonic Unleashed, or even the dreaded 2006, were really amazing and proved Sonic can work very well in an 3D animated flick - I wish they'd just gone with the normal 3D animated movie instead. Especially considering Unleashed had a pretty solid world and character (almost Pixar-like) design...

Galen

The whole 'monoeye' thing is the one thing I'm fine with them abandoning completely. Unless you go super stylised with the rendering, that's gonna look weird. Especially if you're going with the realistic textures they are doing, so you're gonna see the sclera (whites of the eye) moving about and how they deal with the 'join'.

dactylopus

I find the more realistic looking Sonic to be a good take on the character.

The fan versions are just the cartoonish version with realistic rendering.  I don't think that works.  The cartoonish proportions are good for a cartoon, but look weird in a realistic setting.  Redesigning the character a bit is a good move in my opinion.  Not doing so would be like having this Mario in a Mario movie:

[imgzoom]https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--jHdqsTOq--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1446244938/production/designs/299245_1.jpg[/imgzoom]
It may be better than Captain Lou Albano, but I'd prefer Bob Hoskins.  Or, even better, this:

[imgzoom]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bo6Zm-hIUAAjwak.jpg[/imgzoom]

Babar

Quote from: dactylopus on Sun 05/05/2019 20:28:53
I find the more realistic looking Sonic to be a good take on the character.

The fan versions are just the cartoonish version with realistic rendering.  I don't think that works.  The cartoonish proportions are good for a cartoon, but look weird in a realistic setting.  Redesigning the character a bit is a good move in my opinion.
The thing is, a giant, upright, talking blue hedgehog isn't realistic. It would have to be cartoonish anyhow. Right now it just "realistically" looks like some underpaid guy dressing up in a bad costume at an amusement park.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Mandle

Why are they bringing the video game character into our world anyway?

This seems like the way they used to make video game movies before they figured out the right way.

josiah1221

Is it just me or doesn't the way they portrayed Sonic look more like something straight out of Dr. Suess?!  (laugh)

Danvzare

Am I the only one who is kind of looking forward to this film, because of how bad it looks?
It almost looks like a parody of itself! I mean just look at Sonic! Surely most of the team working on the movie saw how bad that looked, yet continued working on it anyway. Either the team realizes this is going to be terrible, and are rolling with it, or the stars have aligned in such a way that bad corporate decisions are making the best bad movie in existence!
It's like Sega saw the old Mario movie, and thought "Hey! We could make ours even less relevant to the game!"

And casting Jim Carrey as (let's face it) Jim Carrey, just adds to that self-parodying look it has going for it.

I hope they keep the terrible looking Sonic! I'm glad they brought in Jim Carrey and made him look nothing like Robotnik (or Eggman if you prefer).
I want this film to be up there with The Room, as a legendary bad film, that people put on to watch on April fools day or something.
If they try to fix anything now, they're just going to make it bland, boring, and forgettable. Like every single video game movie out there. At least this way, they have a chance to make something memorable.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 06/05/2019 02:18:00
Why are they bringing the video game character into our world anyway?

This seems like the way they used to make video game movies before they figured out the right way.
Isn't it obvious? Someone saw the live action Smurfs movie and thought "Yes, we should do that with Sonic."

And wait. They've figured out the right way to make video game movies?

KyriakosCH

It is a bit strange that at least in the cabin scene cgi Sonic looks a bit like a person in a cheap costume  :=

"Ok guys, i need you to make cgi that looks like a costume we can buy for a tiny fraction of the cost".

That said, as noted it would also look bizarre to have more cartoon styled Sonic, with the mono-eye and the hairless arms. I think Sonic isn't the issue with the film; the issue is that it will have a stupid plot and imho there isn't an audience for a Sonic movie to start with. This isn't TMNT or Transformers.

VampireWombat

I'm sure about there not being an audience for A Sonic movie. I dare you to search Deviantart for Sonic.
It's more that there's not  really an audience for this Sonic movie. An animated movie that wrapped up the SatAM series could do decently. Or one of dozens of things other than this...

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 06/05/2019 12:34:37
Am I the only one who is kind of looking forward to this film, because of how bad it looks?
It almost looks like a parody of itself! I mean just look at Sonic! Surely most of the team working on the movie saw how bad that looked, yet continued working on it anyway. Either the team realizes this is going to be terrible, and are rolling with it, or the stars have aligned in such a way that bad corporate decisions are making the best bad movie in existence!
It's like Sega saw the old Mario movie, and thought "Hey! We could make ours even less relevant to the game!"

And casting Jim Carrey as (let's face it) Jim Carrey, just adds to that self-parodying look it has going for it.

I hope they keep the terrible looking Sonic! I'm glad they brought in Jim Carrey and made him look nothing like Robotnik (or Eggman if you prefer).
I want this film to be up there with The Room, as a legendary bad film, that people put on to watch on April fools day or something.
If they try to fix anything now, they're just going to make it bland, boring, and forgettable. Like every single video game movie out there. At least this way, they have a chance to make something memorable.

In my view the cheapest moment of the (all around rather nasty) trailer was the couple falling through a ring, Sonic-game style.  :tongue:

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 06/05/2019 16:00:06
That said, as noted it would also look bizarre to have more cartoon styled Sonic, with the mono-eye and the hairless arms.
Could you imagine if people thought like that, back when Who Framed Roger Rabbit was made?
The truth is, you can make a semi-realistic looking Sonic, that sticks with the original design, and have it fit in. I can point to countless examples which prove that. The latest being Detective Pikachu. But to really hammer in my point, you ever seen that old fanmade Sonic movie? He didn't look too out of place there. What about Sonic 06. Say what you will about the story and the gameplay, but you've got to remember they stuck Sonic into a realistic setting, and when he's side by side with the realistic looking Eggman and whatever that princess was called, he fitted right in.
So no, it wouldn't look bizarre to have a more cartoon styled sonic in a live action film.

What is bizarre though, is having Sonic in a live action film to begin with.
It should have been full CGI. Imagine the camera work you could've done with that, and all the other cool unrealistic stuff! Think Into the Spiderverse.
It just simply would've looked better in full CGI, like the Ratchet and Clank film.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 06/05/2019 16:00:06
imho there isn't an audience for a Sonic movie to start with. This isn't TMNT or Transformers.
You're probably one of a small handful of people to actually say that.
I'd even go as far as to say there's more of an audience for a Sonic movie than there is for a new Transformers movie.
Besides, there wasn't an audience for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but that did brilliant. I mean, who here even heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before that movie! I certainly didn't, and I know about The Sentry! Do you know who The Sentry is? An alien, powered by the sun, big S on his chest. No not superman, The Sentry! He's Marvel! Come on.

But all of this is moot. Because as I've said before, I'm glad they took all of the wrong decisions, with how bad this film will no doubt be.
I just hope it'll be so bad that it's good, and not just bad. But the trailer managed to pull if off, maybe the whole film can.  :-D

KyriakosCH

Vampire and Dan, you may be right about the audience thing. Not sure, though i do know that all sorts of weird stuff are hits in deviant-art (MLP, for example  := ).

dactylopus

Quote from: Babar on Sun 05/05/2019 23:02:25
The thing is, a giant, upright, talking blue hedgehog isn't realistic. It would have to be cartoonish anyhow. Right now it just "realistically" looks like some underpaid guy dressing up in a bad costume at an amusement park.
That's what's so awesome about it.

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 06/05/2019 12:34:37

No, you are definitely not!  I love it!  I hope it turns out to be gloriously bad as well.  That's the best way that it can be good.

Stupot

I actually want it to be good. Like ‘good good', not ‘so bad it's good'. I'm not going to waste my money watching it ironically. It baffles me that they would even bother to make this movie at this point in time if they weren't going to actually try and make a good film.

I have doubts, but part of me hopes there's actually a good film in the can and they just ballsed up the CG. I hope that they'll go away and redo Sonic, cut a new trailer without Gangster's Bloody Paradise, and try again. If they're not going to try to repair the damage after the ridicule they've received from the trailer, then they're morons.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk