Recurring Crash Error

Started by cdavenport, Fri 03/05/2019 16:22:22

Previous topic - Next topic

cdavenport

When testing my game I frequently have this crash error during different dialogues, but it doesn't happen every time. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the dialogue it's pointing to, as this only happens sometimes when running the game. Does anyone know what this error is in reference to I don't understand the numbers.

An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00409849 ; program pointer is +1501, ACI version 3.4.1.15, gtags (54,0)

AGD cannot continue, this exception was fatal.

In “Dialog 6”, Line 26

Khris

Can you add what it says in Line 26 of Dialog 6, in case it's relevant?

cdavenport

Quote from: Khris on Fri 03/05/2019 16:27:17
Can you add what it says in Line 26 of Dialog 6, in case it's relevant?

Code: ags

// Dialog script file
@S  // Dialog startup entry point

player.FaceDirection (eDirectionUpLeft);

// player.SetIdleView (-1, -1);//DISABLE IDLE

option-off 3
option-off 4
option-off 5
option-off 8

if (player.HasInventory (iTravelWrit))
    dialog[6].SetOptionState(3, eOptionOn);//OFFER 

cTunnelGuard: &1 Halt!

cTunnelGuard: &2 The pass is closed. Nobody is allowed to travel beyond this point without a signed letter from the King or Church.

@1//WHY IS THE PASS CLOSED?

player: &31 I'm traveling north to visit relatives. Why is the pass closed?

cTunnelGuard: &3 To prevent the plague from spreading beyond this border to the northern Kingdoms.

option-on 2

return

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cdavenport on Fri 03/05/2019 16:22:22
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00409849 ; program pointer is +1501, ACI version 3.4.1.15, gtags (54,0)

So, this program pointer +1501 is curious, because there's nothing looking as it might crash at the first glance.
At that point it does some checks to current character's view, loop and frame, also stops movement if character was walking.

Khris

Maybe this is related to the character's speech view? Missing frames maybe?

cdavenport

It tends to happen when I'm using the debugging features, like teleporting between rooms to check certain segments of the game, without playing the game through from scene to scene. But most of the time these dialogues play out fine with no crashes or interruptions.

Regarding what Khris mentioned, my game is set to Sierra style speech, but for some minor characters I do not use a portrait I just leave that field blank (0) in the character set up - so maybe there's something there causing issues. But I recall the same crashing happening with characters that have a portrait during speech as well.

I have a crash log file it generated I can dig out later if it would help, when I try to look at it in notepad it's just garbled text.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cdavenport on Fri 03/05/2019 22:26:30
I have a crash log file it generated I can dig out later if it would help, when I try to look at it in notepad it's just garbled text.

Crash dump is a binary file that is meant to be read by a debugger program. If you upload it I could take a look, but usually it's only useful to find exact location where crash occured, but not all details.

Vincent

Does this has something to do related with this?

QuoteTo display some speech, you begin the line with the character's SCRIPT NAME (not full name), followed by a colon, then a space, and then what you want them to say. For example, if my main character's script name is EGO, I would write

ego: "I am very happy today because it's my birthday."

QuoteIMPORTANT: Do NOT include the "c" at the start of the character's script name here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk