The most byzantine room

Started by KyriakosCH, Fri 10/05/2019 22:33:49

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

I am thinking of making an adventure game centered on a byzantine church.

Wip of one of the main locations:

Some stuff have to change, but overall what do you think of the scene? (full render will be either at 640x400 or similar to 800x600)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

KyriakosCH

Come on, it can't be that bad  :=

Frodo

I like it.  I think it's really good.  Especially all the wee arches on the roof.   :smiley:

Sorry, I can't 'critique' it, cos I don't see anything wrong with it. 

KyriakosCH

Laura Hunt

Yeah, it looks really cool, I guess people just don't see anything wrong with it.

Are the windows set at different heights on purpose though? Is that a normal thing in these kinds of churches?

Jojo_the_monkey

I am not an artist to judge it, but I like what I see. I would also like to see an adventure on this setting!
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 13/05/2019 06:57:36
Yeah, it looks really cool, I guess people just don't see anything wrong with it.

Are the windows set at different heights on purpose though? Is that a normal thing in these kinds of churches?

Yes, i modeled it after an existing church in this city :) Though the details aren't yet all added:

Thank you both, notaro and jojo.

KyriakosCH

The game will also feature a model (toymodel) in-game. Ie the church is both a real (in-game) location and an item in the game.

I do plan to have multiple shots of it in the main character's room. Here is an isometric of the model:

Slasher

You always show some great images you've made..

Just a shame you don't anything with them....

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 13/05/2019 18:27:05
You always show some great images you've made..

Just a shame you don't anything with them....

Making gfx is (for me) easier than making a game. At any rate it is a different skill :)

lorenzo

I wasn't sure if you wanted critiques on the background or on the church model, so I put them separately.

Regarding the background. The floor and sky colours are too similar. Because of that, it seems like the church is floating in the air.
Also, having no elements in the background makes the scene feel unnatural and empty. Even some silhouettes in the background would help.

I can't really understand the lighting. There's a huge, strong light from the left, but there's no visible light source â€" and the scene is set at night.

Regarding the church model. The model is pretty nice, but it lacks details, especially compared to the real thing. It feels a bit too simple in some parts (e.g. those rectangular doors and windows) if you're going for a realistic look.

I also don't understand the grainy texture. Personally, I would use a brick material for the walls and shingles for the roofs.

I made a quick paintover, addressing some of the issues I mentioned:

Anyway, aside from that, I like the model -- and the church setting could make for a great adventure game!

KyriakosCH

^Very good texture-adding!

Yes, it is work in progress, and i do plan to include some background (maybe it will be an image of buildings, maybe some tree or other models).
Lighting will change as well. Textures aren't final, and i certainly like those you painted over it; i may try something similar in the 3d-setting, which will be shown from a few angles so it has to be full-3d ready :)

Rendering this takes a lot of time with my slow pc (almost 50 min just for the pic in the OP) so i cannot try everything at once. However i think the game will become reality in a few months. I have contacted the person who composed the music for my first game (in the sig) and he will make some new pieces ^_^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk