Suddenly accelerated speed ?

Started by Marion, Fri 17/05/2019 14:22:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Marion

Hello ! I am working on my new game :)
But there is something strange I never saw before with AGS, maybe it's an option of the last version ?
Sometimes, when I click on a hotspot or a object, my character walks towards it in accelerated speed and animation. And, other times, he just doesn't, and walks normally.
Why is that ? How can I fix it in order to have my character walk in a constant speed ?

Crimson Wizard

Are you using Thumbleweed template? They had this as a feature that double click makes character move faster.

Marion

No, I am using the BASS template... :-/

Crimson Wizard

Could you also tell, which version of AGS are you using?

Cassiebsg

This might be unrelated, but it sounds a bit like if your PC hangs for a second and then speeds everything up to catch up.
Is this something you can replicate in other computers/systems?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Marion

I don't know, I only have one computer... but I can ask my testers, maybe !

Jack

Run Debug(4, 1) to display the FPS count from AGS every frame, and if possible use something like Fraps to provide an external overlay of how many frames you're actually getting.

Do you have music playing in the game when this happens, and is it affected?

Marion

I will try Fraps. No, I don't have music, I will add one and see what it does :)

Marion

So I tested. The music plays well, no problem even when my character accelerates. And I used FRAPS, it indicates the same frame rate each time.

Jack

It really does sound like the walk speed changes. You could display the walk speed for that character in a GUI on each frame to confirm.

Marion

I made the GUI, it displays the character walkspeed repeatedly. It always indicates the normal walkspeed, even when the character accelerates...  :confused:

Cassiebsg

Maybe try and make a video of it?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Do you have "MovementLinkedToAnimation" set in Character properties? Don't remember how this works but maybe it's animation speed that increases for some weird reason.

Marion

Yes,  "MovementLinkedToAnimation"  is set, but I always do that and I never had any character accelerate suddenly when I click on hotspot or object. I will make a video to show you.

Crimson Wizard

Idk, this looks like scripted behavior to me :/. Do you have only script you wrote yourself or using someone elses modules?

Marion

I use the Phylactere module but it never did that in my previous games. I didn't write much code for the moment, and no custom script.

Mandle

Is the module very sensitive to detecting a double-click and has a built-in function to accelerate walking if double-click is used for fast travel means?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk