Which computer game influenced you the most?

Started by KyriakosCH, Fri 17/05/2019 19:45:53

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

For me the most important game i ever played was Another World.
I was obsessed with it when i was 13 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1EGP2EyWe0
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

dactylopus

That was a great game.

For me, the most formative game experience would be Hero's Quest / Quest for Glory.

VampireWombat

I suppose I'd have to say Clash At Demonhead for the NES. There's nothing too special about it and I never actually owned it or beat it. But the powerups/suits gave me my first inklings of wanting to make games.

Dualnames

Monkey Island 2, Another World, Yume Nikki.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Mandle

Colossal Cave on the mainframe computer of the company I did work experience at when I was in high school.

It opened my eyes that a computer game could be an entire world to explore instead of just shooting at targets on a screen.

milkanannan

Yeah Another World was probably the first game that I had a deep emotional connection to. Other games: Castlevania NES (first game I ever played. Totally blew my little 8yo mind), Space Quest 2 (first text based adventure game I played), Quest for Glory 2 (first game I finished entirely on my own â€"the story actually spawned an early interest in Middle Eastern landscapes and cultures. I've been living in this region (Arabian Gulf) now for almost ten years!)

KyriakosCH

Quote from: man n fist on Sat 18/05/2019 07:38:07
Yeah Another World was probably the first game that I had a deep emotional connection to. Other games: Castlevania NES (first game I ever played. Totally blew my little 8yo mind), Space Quest 2 (first text based adventure game I played), Quest for Glory 2 (first game I finished entirely on my own â€"the story actually spawned an early interest in Middle Eastern landscapes and cultures. I've been living in this region (Arabian Gulf) now for almost ten years!)

The first game i played (on my own computer anyway) was Jet Set Willy, on the Amstrad cpc6128. Also very influential for me and atmospheric, and its plot was just insane: some rich person has a party for the local jet set (high society) in his massive mansion. When they all leave he just wants to go sleep, but his wife forces him to first collect all the utensils used by the guests and left in the rooms (lol).
This will mean that for the first time ever he will visit all 100 (or similar number) rooms of his estate. They are apparently filled with monsters.
In one of the lower cellars there is even the head of Satan flying about  :=

The soundtrack starts with a midi version of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, which just amazed me (i was 8 at the time), and of course i thought it was composed for the game :D

eri0o

Blondbraid

I'd say it was Tomb Raider: Legend for me. I'd played The Sims, ZOO Tycoon and some crappy games with cute animals on the cover before, but it was Tomb Raider that made me feel gaming was a hobby I could get into
due to the fact it was a well-made game with a strong female hero in the lead role. Until then I felt that gaming was just something for stereotypical teenage boys and stuff like Sims and horse games didn't count because
the former was a casual game centered on playing around rather than winning, and the latter were almost always terrible games on a shoestring budget only made as a lazy way to earn money from little girls desperate for
any kind of game about horses so to me, video games felt like a boring choice between either crappy games with no budget or talent, games that had budget and talent but were exclusively about gruff muscle men and/or
zombies, sports or sci-fi battles and a bunch of stuff that didn't interest me and just felt like stuff made for the teenage boy stereotype I previously mentioned.

Tomb Raider: Legend was the first time I got to see a game with a good female lead but also well-crafted gameplay and then cutting-edge graphics, and it opened up my eyes to what games could be other than the stereotypes I'd been raised with,
and it got me to start digging through the bargain-bin for other games with adventure and strong female leads, which eventually led me to discover classics like Dreamfall, The Longest Journey and the Syberia games.

Retro Wolf

The Amiga 500 was my first introduction to gaming, not just one game but a bunch of them: Monkey Island, Lemmings, Robocod, Cannon Fodder, Chaos Engine. I used to think a lot about how I would change things in current games, imagine my own ones too.

Danvzare

Ah, the game that's influenced me most.
There's a few. The oldest one I can think of is Day of the Tentacle, which is pretty much the entire reason I'm even here on this forum.
There's also Deus Ex that influenced my perceptions on First Person Shooters, and Thief that influenced my perceptions on horror in video games. More recently there's been Dwarf Fortress, which has influenced my perception of the Fantasy Genre, as well as roguelikes, and what a game can be in general.

But I think the one that's influenced me the most, is always a fairly new one. Lakeview Cabin Collection, pretty much began my love of the Slasher genre. Not only that, but I absolutely fell in love with it's gameplay, which is basically a sandbox adventure game with survival horror elements.
When I played that game and completed it, I actually went about trying to figure out how it was coded! Even going so far as to deduce where I could find bugs with which to exploit! That's how much I fell in love with that game!
That was a weird five hours now that I look back on it.

Jojo_the_monkey

My favorite game is Monkey Island 2 (obviously). Although the game that influenced me more is the original Prince of Persia. As a kid I played the DOS version and it was a technical marvel. Since then I try to replay it from times to times and I realize how ingenious it is in terms of game design, story development and audio narration. It is not coincidence that the game ported to almost every platform back then. There are also homebrewed versions for the Commodore 64 and the BBC Master.
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 22/05/2019 14:32:02
Ah, the game that's influenced me most.
There's a few. The oldest one I can think of is Day of the Tentacle, which is pretty much the entire reason I'm even here on this forum.
There's also Deus Ex that influenced my perceptions on First Person Shooters, and Thief that influenced my perceptions on horror in video games. More recently there's been Dwarf Fortress, which has influenced my perception of the Fantasy Genre, as well as roguelikes, and what a game can be in general.

But I think the one that's influenced me the most, is always a fairly new one. Lakeview Cabin Collection, pretty much began my love of the Slasher genre. Not only that, but I absolutely fell in love with it's gameplay, which is basically a sandbox adventure game with survival horror elements.
When I played that game and completed it, I actually went about trying to figure out how it was coded! Even going so far as to deduce where I could find bugs with which to exploit! That's how much I fell in love with that game!

I saw a playthrough of the Lakeview Cabin. Pretty good idea and way to execute such a game-mechanic :)

milkanannan

Yeah Lakeview Cabin was indeed an awesome title! Had that right pacing about it that drew you in to the story instead of  throwing the slashing around in the first five minutes.

WHAM

For me the pivotal moment of gaming was the original Police Quest. At the time it felt so full of detail and things to do, with a driving minigame, tons of things to LOOK at, characters to talk to and rooms to explore. I didn't get very far in the game, since back then I was 7 years old and barely knew english, but the trial and error nature of a Sierra adventure game led me to learn more and more.

That kind of design, with plentiful detail, realistic setting and use of language has stuck with me ever since, and has set the foundation of my own game design ideology. Sometimes having the player do something really mundane can help set a tone of a game, and to make the world the player is exploring feel that little bit more believable.

Beyond that there have been a few other major influences, such as:

The Elder Scrolls Series, inspiring me to try and avoid the kind of story progression they often have, and to avoid the feeling of having the world freeze around you if you don't act (I like to place some time constraints in my games, so the player doesn't feel cheated when the game tells them something is urgent).

JRPG's like Final Fantasy 6-9 and Breath of Fire 3-4, inspiring me to try and craft a background story that exists as a framework for a game. Sometimes I fail at this, or omit this when working on a MAGS game with time constraints, but it is always something I keep in mind when writing game stories.

The Days series of games by Yahtzee, inspiring me to try first out the AGS engine, which has led me to this wonderful community and has allowed me to create so many fun little projects!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

LionOhDay

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 22/05/2019 14:32:02

I played the first Lake View I should get around to trying out the others. : )

As for the computer game that's influenced me the most, well that one's pretty easy.

Baldur's Gate.

I've replayed that game several times thorughout the years and it's fed back into my love of D&D all these years. The magic items in that game are some of my absolute favorite bits of game play.

Mine Craft has also influenced me a bunch, considering it was what let me meet my wife, I'd hope it would influence me.

But that's just the computer stuff getting into consoles is a whole other beast.

( Oh and Stardew Valley, but honestly that game mostly just taught me what I really want in a Harvest Moon like game. )
Attempts were made.

javixblack

Captain Claw, and Ace Ventura adventure game! but Monkey Island 3 is really close to them!

CrashPL

The first Journeyman Project, as it was the very first PC game I've ever played - I remember being really impressed by the 'photorealistic graphics' back then. Not to mention it sparked my general interest in adventure games!

Ultima VII was an absolute shock for me, as (an almost) fully open world, highly immersive cRPG was something unheard of back then. And of course I totally loved it, despite playing like crap (hey, I was a little kid...) and getting lost on the large map every now and then.

Croc, MDK and Little Big Adventure 2 left a huge impact on me, as these were the first 3D games I played, and I absolutely loved each one of them. On the other hand, Curse of Monkey Island captured me with its beautiful 2D animation, gorgeous visuals and great writing/humor.

Final Fantasy VII - I played it shorty after it was released in the west, and it blew my little mind away. Also Sonic Adventure, as I was seriously impressed by the 3D hi speed action and cinematic segments (orca chase in Emerald Coast, snowboarding in Ice Cape, running down the building in Speed Highway...)

Laura Hunt

I could wax poetic about so many Sinclair ZX Spectrum games such as Tai Pan or RanaRama, or my first experiences with the horror genre playing Doom or Sanitarium or Phantasmagoria, or reminisce about all those sleepless nights playing the original Civilization ("just one more turn!"), or go on a rant about how the games that have marked me the most have been the weirdest of outliers like Deadly Premonition or Pathologic, both of them horribly clunky and buggy but absolutely unique in their ambitions...

But I won't do that. I will just say that if I had the ability, the vision, the imagination and the talent to make exactly the game I want, it would be Kentucky Route Zero.

I guess that's why my games tend to be more on the walking/conversation simulator side than puzzle- or riddle-based...

Laura Hunt

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 18/05/2019 12:39:15
its plot was just insane: some rich person has a party for the local jet set (high society) in his massive mansion. When they all leave he just wants to go sleep, but his wife forces him to first collect all the utensils used by the guests and left in the rooms (lol).

It was actually his maid, not his wife. And her name was Maria for some reason :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk