Which computer game influenced you the most?

Started by KyriakosCH, Fri 17/05/2019 19:45:53

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

His maid? Now that's entirely unrealistic  (laugh)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Creamy

QuoteBaldur's Gate.

I've replayed that game several times thorughout the years and it's fed back into my love of D&D all these years. The magic items in that game are some of my absolute favorite bits of game play.
I didn't play many RPG but I got completely drawn into Baldur's Gate I and II. It made me quit Diablo II   :-D

KyriakosCH

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 15/07/2019 09:56:20
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 15/07/2019 09:36:10
His maid? Now that's entirely unrealistic  (laugh)

Why? Everybody's entitled to their "I don't get paid enough for this shit" moments :P

What I don't get is how the monsters got there. Or were they supposed to be the guests? In the rooms around/near the bedroom there is barely any antagonist.

Arcangel

Umm , I think Space Quest III, then play all Space quest saga. King Quest, Quest for Glory, (But adventure games, Space Quest)

RPG (Eye of the Beholder)
Simulator( Wing Commander)

dactylopus

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero (1989) was my most formative game experience, and that is still true.  It set me on a path away from console gaming into becoming much more interested in the PC (for gaming, and in general).  It was instrumental in sparking my desire to develop games of my own, which I began to do at a relatively young age using QBASIC (1991).

The question, however, asks about influence.  That's a more nuanced question.  I have many influences and can't list just one (although I do list only one of each game series).  So here's a sampling of the list (in chronological order):

Choplifter (1982)
Lode Runner (1983)
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (1985)
Fun House (1989)
Prince of Persia (1989)
Quest for Glory II: Trial By Fire (1990)
Scorched Earth (1991)
SkiFree (1991)
Civilization (1991)
Another World (1992)
King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (1992)
Sim City 2000 (1993)
Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! (1993)
Riven (1997)
Star Wars: Galaxies (2003)
Zoo Tycoon 2 (2004)

(Some of these games I did not play until much later than their release dates.)

A good mix of different game genres.  My early favorites were all from Brøderbund, which essentially introduced me to video gaming in general.  1989 - 1993 were the years that really had a lasting impact, even more so with the Gameboy coming out in 1989, and the SNES in 1991.

The question asks specifically about computer games.  If I added in console, handheld, and arcade games, the list would expand greatly (mostly into platforming, action adventure, fighting, sports, and racing games).  For example, my experiences with Maniac Mansion were on the NES.

It's been fun reading about how others were inspired by games, a lot of them the same or similar to the ones I have listed.  It's great to be part of a community based around common experiences.

Mandarinas45

For me it was Skyrim . Now now, do not boo me off the stage. It was the first RPG I've ever played, there was a lot of hype around it and I gave in. Loved every second of it, eventually even tried the ES MMO, but nothing stuck quite so much. (There's also a chance that Skyrim ruined me for other rps as well, so it's a double-edged sword since now I search for the next great thing and can't find it!) 
Cheers mates <3

Radiant

I'm going to say Ultima VI. And possibly Ultima V and VII, but I played those later.

NickyNyce

Monkey island
The original Doom
The original Metroid

Marcin K.

Maniac Mansion on Commodore 64 was the first game that made want to create own game. There was also Rocket Ranger - I fell in love with this cheesy retro-sf with rockets and nazis.
I loved both Turricans and Rainbow Island too.

In PC era Day of the Tentacle blew my mind with its graphic, Deus Ex with storytelling (all that crazy conspiracy theories put in one game), Pirates! (OK, I played on C64 too), Warcraft 2, Monkey Island series. Betrayal At Krondor was my beloved one at some point.

Gurok

Going to give my standard answers here.

Limbo of the Lost
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing
Bad Rats
Ninjabread Man
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Gilbert

Gurok, you have great taste.  :=

To me, it's Dragon Quest IV, the besterest evar game in the world. Period.

milkanannan

Is that the same thing as Dragon Warrior IV? If it is, yeah that game was so amazing!

Gilbert

Yeah. The DQs were called DW overseas.
DQ4 was the 1st game that got me really hooked up with computer RPGs(those on PCs were too complicated to me at the time). I borrowed the DQ4 cart from a friend(who preordered the game imported) and ended up completing it 6 times before returning the cart, even though I couldn't read Japanese.

cyber

Broken Sword - Shadow of the templars of course.. I was absolutely in love with that game when i was 12
Cyber Leon

KyriakosCH

Quote from: cyber on Sat 17/08/2019 11:14:58
Broken Sword - Shadow of the templars of course.. I was absolutely in love with that game when i was 12

It was indeed an awesome game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk