MAGS JUNE "Little-known traditions" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/06/2019 02:37:22

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS June?

Mamma Mia by fernewelten
8 (80%)
Goat Burn by VampireWombat
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Mon 15/07/2019 06:58:36

VampireWombat

It's not technically a screenshot, but close enough.
The goat is still in a very rough stage, but at least it's no longer made up of barrels, a pinball machine, etc.
And the character sprite needs a little more tweaking...

Blondbraid

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sat 15/06/2019 17:49:10
It's not technically a screenshot, but close enough.
The goat is still in a very rough stage, but at least it's no longer made up of barrels, a pinball machine, etc.
And the character sprite needs a little more tweaking...
You did a good job capturing the likeness of a Swedish police uniform!

VampireWombat

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 15/06/2019 19:32:48
You did a good job capturing the likeness of a Swedish police uniform!
Thanks. I made sure to do plenty of research for clothes and such. Some versions will include the hats and/or neon vests.

VampireWombat

So... Am I the only one making a game this month? Or is everyone just lurking and waiting until the last day to say anything?

Due to heat and other things, it looks like my game won't be as complex as planned. It looks like it's just going to be a one room adventure game.

fernewelten

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 27/06/2019 14:22:55
So... Am I the only one making a game this month?

Nope: I'm busy with a game, too.

Due to heat and other things, it looks like my game won't be as complex as planned.

Nearly the same. My game will just have two rooms of which one is a street. And it'll have to make do without any inventory puzzles, or any inventory at all for that matter.

I hope I'll have enough time until Sunday. I'm only now finding the time to draw my protagonist at last. He's only been a stick figure so far.

Slasher

Quote from: fernewelten on Fri 28/06/2019 04:01:57
So... Am I the only one making a game this month?

Nope: I'm busy with a game, too.

Due to heat and other things, it looks like my game won't be as complex as planned.

Nearly the same. My game will just have two rooms of which one is a street. And it'll have to make do without any inventory puzzles, or any inventory at all for that matter.

I hope I'll have enough time until Sunday. I'm only now finding the time to draw my protagonist at last. He's only been a stick figure so far.

People have made whole games with Stick figures....

Slasher

Opps... mistake  (laugh)

LostTrainDude

No matter how long or short your entry is :D
There are memorable games out there that happen only inside one room and also games that have no inventory whatsoever, Lamplight City being a quite recent example!

As we're approaching the finish line I'd like to thank all of you who joined or expressed interest or simply took part in the discussion.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

VampireWombat

Quote from: fernewelten on Fri 28/06/2019 04:01:57

Ah. I think my game is going to more or less be like that. It'll be borderline if it'll have anything that can be called puzzles either.

Unless the rules changed this month, you can use previous graphics. Or you could just simplify your character enough to ensure you can finish it in time. Maybe even keep it as a stick figure until you have everything else done.

fernewelten

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 28/06/2019 14:03:55
Unless the rules changed this month, you can use previous graphics.

Trouble is, I've only got rats yet.  Or a cat or a puppy. Using those would change the script too much. ;)

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 28/06/2019 14:03:55
Or you could just simplify your character enough to ensure you can finish it in time.

So that's the way it'll go. I've managed to make just enough graphics to scrape by. The rest will remain a todo for Version 2 -- if there'll ever be a Version 2.

On to finishing Room 2 now!  :)

fernewelten

Hello everyone,

Now I can proudly present an entry to the current competition.

One of the strange quirks that Germans seem to have is their craving for ice cream whenever the sun shines brightly. This in itself isn't unusual, but you can see Germans even buy at the ice cream parlour in cold winter time when snow is lying in the streets (provided the sun is shining brightly).

This is more of an urban thing because traditionally, in rural areas the ice cream parlours close for the winter season. Those parlours are usually run by Italians in Germany, and Italians seemingly like to go visit their family for the Winter months. In big towns, the parlours are open all year.

This facet might also turn out to be the prejudiced view of some vocal foreigners that claim to have noticed it in Germany. Anyway, I thought this could be an inspiration for the current MAGS contest.

My game features a classic BASS interface, DIY voice-acting (if you want to hear what is said, then read the captions aloud :-D ) and some music, but unfortunately no inventory puzzles, nor an inventory at all for that matter.

Starring some Germans as well as an Italian.

Have fun playing.

I've found the deadline tight this time, so there are probably some bugs that haven't been squashed yet. Sorry about that.

Download:
Game entry in the AGS game directory

Thread  with hints and tips for the puzzles

screenshot:

Spoilers moved here

VampireWombat

Based on the tradition suggested by Blondbraid. Gävle goat

Using the Sierra Template at a resolution much larger than it's meant for. Play as Roger trying to burn the Yule Goat, because I didn't get graphics for the player made.
Only barely tested. Probably has bugs.
Sneak and run have no practical usage in this version, just changing the movement speed.

LostTrainDude

Awesome! Two entries and it's not even midnight!  (laugh)
Congrats fernewelten and VampireWombat!

Are there any other last minute surprises in store from fellow AGSers?
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Stupot

Thanks for the entries folks. Good work.  I need a bit of time to set up the voting and stuff but I haven't forgotten :-)

Stupot

Voting is open.
Please vote using the poll above.

It really is s pain to do this on my crappy phone so I'll set up the nice tables in the next day when I can get to a computer. Until then you can see the poll at the top of the page. Get voting!

Shadow1000

I voted for
Spoiler
Mama Mia. Lots of laughs, great idea and fun puzzles
[close]

cat

The goat game crashed
Spoiler
after distracting the guard with pizza, setting the goat on fire and walking around (what am I supposed to do now anyway?)

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.4.1.15)

in "room2.asc", line 84

Error: MoveCharacterStraight: specified character not in current room

OK   

[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: cat on Tue 02/07/2019 20:59:04
The goat game crashed
Spoiler
That's pretty much all you do. At that point after a few seconds display messages should pop up and then have the quit gui pop up.
The crash probably came from some code I didn't fully dummy out from when there were going to be stealth elements in the game.
[close]

cat

Regarding ice cream
Spoiler
I found the keypad puzzle quite fun (although I didn't understand at first I could switch all keys, I thought I could only move neighbouring ones.)
But the machine puzzle - I figured out the order of 5 which is ok, it gets easier with every machine you find. But I don't enjoy playing this over again to find the 6th one that now could be practically any of them. More so, that I couldn't find any hints around, the order seems to be very random. Can someone give me a hint what the last one is?
[close]

Shadow1000

I had the same experience as Cat. I assumed it was pretty much game over so I didn't say anything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk