MAGS JUNE "Little-known traditions" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/06/2019 02:37:22

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS June?

Mamma Mia by fernewelten
8 (80%)
Goat Burn by VampireWombat
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Mon 15/07/2019 06:58:36

VampireWombat

Guess that's what happens without having the time to have someone else test it...
I'll have a fixed version ready within an hour.

fernewelten

Quote from: cat on Tue 02/07/2019 21:32:47
Regarding ice cream
Spoiler
… the order seems to be very random. Can someone give me a hint what the last one is?
[close]

Sorry about that â€"
Spoiler
the order IS random. There are five "buttons" and the solution has length six (not including the start button on the right wall). Exactly one of the "buttons" is repeated. So if you know the first five steps and one "button" has been repeated, then you also know the last button. Otherwise, there's no way around trying all of them.
[close]

For reference: Here are the "buttons":
Spoiler

1. The hammer dangling from the box on the right hand side of the room.
2. The grey field in the puddle
3. The button on the window sill
4a. The "on" button on the back wall; 4b. the "off" button beside it.
5. The chain with the purple handle on the right side of the room.
[close]

fernewelten

Guess that's what happens if you don't have enough time to do proper playtesting. I did playtest the keypad and that's why I put in the
Spoiler
sticky keys
[close]
: I found that otherwise it takes too long to find the right combination. But I didn't have the time to playtest the ice cream room properly.

Would it be okay to publish a revised version that cuts down the solution length in the ice cream room? Say,
Spoiler
make it 5 steps instead of 6 steps
[close]
? It would only alter one integer in the source code.

fernewelten

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 02/07/2019 21:51:44
I had the same experience as Cat. I assumed it was pretty much game over so I didn't say anything.

(Edit:) Concerning the ice cream room puzzle:

Spoiler
Yes, the puzzle is RIGHT at the end of the game -- when you solve it you see the end screen immediately afterwards, click on it anywhere and the game terminates without further ado.
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: fernewelten on Tue 02/07/2019 22:19:43
Spoiler
Yes, the puzzle is RIGHT at the end of the game -- when you solve it you see the end screen immediately afterwards, click on it anywhere and the game terminates without further ado.
[close]
Spoiler
That shouldn't happen. The code linked to what Cat said only affects one region and only if the player steps on the area once the guard is gone. If it happens anywhere other than between the Yule Goat and the building then it's an entirely different issue.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Nice games.  (nod)
My vote goes to
Spoiler

same as Shadow1000 and for the same reasons...  (laugh)
Although, I'm not sure I would have gotten the machine, if I hadn't read the hints.  :-\
the cone cursor was a neat idea, but very impractical, as I wasn't sure where I was clicking. A clear pointer/marker would have been preferably, ans maybe that would have helped with the last puzzle.
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

fernewelten

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 02/07/2019 22:44:58
Quote from: fernewelten on Tue 02/07/2019 22:19:43
Spoiler
[close]
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't referring to your game at all; I was referring to my game and the ice cream room puzzle. I've modified my post to clarify that.

cat

Quote from: fernewelten on Tue 02/07/2019 22:12:18
Would it be okay to publish a revised version that cuts down the solution length in the ice cream room? Say,
Spoiler
[close]
?
Could you instead just tell us the order in which the machines have to be activated? Or do you mean by random that this is randomly generated for every game? In this case: please stop doing this. The randomness is what stopped me from finishing your rat game because I couldn't get a hint where to find what and I got bored with exploring and drawing maps.

In case you want to randomly generate something because it's easier to code, why not make use of this handy module https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40952.0?

fernewelten

Quote from: cat on Wed 03/07/2019 07:32:25
Or do you mean by random that this is randomly generated for every game?

Yes, in the current code, both puzzles have solutions that are randomly generated for each game, I'm afraid.
Re-starting the game will give a different solution to find., for the keypad and for the ice cream room.

Shadow1000

Quote from: cat on Wed 03/07/2019 07:32:25
Quote from: fernewelten on Tue 02/07/2019 22:12:18
Spoiler
[close]
?
Could you instead just tell us the order in which the machines have to be activated? Or do you mean by random that this is randomly generated for every game? In this case: please stop doing this. The randomness is what stopped me from finishing your rat game because I couldn't get a hint where to find what and I got bored with exploring and drawing maps.

In case you want to randomly generate something because it's easier to code, why not make use of this handy module https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40952.0?

The way I solved it was by writing down each of the possible switches and then by trial and error crossing one out as it was wrong or writing it on a list on the right side of my page when it was right. As you go along, the list gets shorter so it's not AS bad as it sounds :)

We can debate later whether this is a "good" puzzle but it really shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so.

Sorry I couldn't give a more specific solution but that's the nature of the puzzle!

fernewelten

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 01/07/2019 07:00:23
I'll set up the nice tables in the next day when I can get to a computer.

Would you please? Because the download links are getting increasingly hard to find; by now there are around 20 postings beween the entry posts and the end of the discussion thread.

Slasher

lanchong

I've voted for
Spoiler
Mamma mia because it's a complete game with a funny story and some interesting puzzles... except the machine puzzle which I couldn't finish. I'm very slow and I find it hard to complete a tightly timed puzzle.

Goat burn looked promising... even though I personally don't have much sympathy for arsonists.
[close]

I look forward to next month games  :smiley:

Stupot

Quote from: fernewelten on Wed 03/07/2019 18:24:47
Quote from: Stupot on Mon 01/07/2019 07:00:23
I'll set up the nice tables in the next day when I can get to a computer.

Would you please? Because the download links are getting increasingly hard to find; by now there are around 20 postings beween the entry posts and the end of the discussion thread.

Mamma Mia
by fernewelten

Goat Burn
by VampireWombat

Done. Sorry it took so long. Ive updated the first post, too.

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 05/07/2019 18:50:13
What a poor turn out  :-X
Two entries is better than one (or none), and is the minimum needed to actually call it a "contest". Would be nice to have a few more, but there are always quiet months and more active months.

LostTrainDude

Phew, at last I managed to play the two entries!

Goat Burn
Spoiler
This may be a tiny little entry, but the tune in the background (even though it's a placeholder) and the "low visibility" mixed with a somewhat Ultima VII-like top down view give the whole thing a mysterious and superinteresting vibe. I would love to see a whole game with similar characteristics! Not talking specifically about an extension to this one.
[close]

Mamma mia
Spoiler
A full-fledged entry! Congratulations! I admit I got through the keypad puzzle without really having a clue about what I was doing. I also agree with the the general opinion about the timed, random sequence puzzle, but I think that it's maybe a couple of iterations short of being well done :) But this is MAGS! Things don't have to be perfect! If you revisit it some time down the road let me (or all of us) know! I appreciated the Italian swearing! Not 100% accurate, but loved it nonetheless (laugh)
[close]

After some thought, my vote went to
Spoiler
Goat Burn! Even if it's just as an encouragement to work on something similar in the future :D
[close]

Thanks for taking part, folks! This was nice. I especially enjoyed all the discussion this thread has generated!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

VampireWombat

Quote from: LostTrainDude on Thu 11/07/2019 08:36:08
Goat Burn
Spoiler
This may be a tiny little entry, but the tune in the background (even though it's a placeholder) and the "low visibility" mixed with a somewhat Ultima VII-like top down view give the whole thing a mysterious and superinteresting vibe. I would love to see a whole game with similar characteristics! Not talking specifically about an extension to this one.

Goat Burn! Even if it's just as an encouragement to work on something similar in the future :D
[close]

Spoiler
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'll ever make a game with the elements again, but it's possible. But I do hope to re-make it to be more like my original plans.
I honestly can't say I was in any way influenced by any Ultima game.  Graveyard Keeper and Punch Club were more responsible for the angle I chose. 
[close]

fernewelten

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: LostTrainDude on Thu 11/07/2019 08:36:08
Spoiler
I appreciated the Italian swearing! Not 100% accurate, but loved it nonetheless (laugh)
[close]

Thank you! Turns out that this was one of the harder parts that I had to put some work into.
Spoiler

I don't know any Italian at all (apart from “si” and “prego” and stuff), and i don't have any Italian acquaintances. So first off I spent some time doing research into Italian swearing. For instance, one of the first phrases that Germans think of when they think of swearing Italians is “Mamma mia”. I mistrusted that stereotype a lot and looked it up and made up my mind that Italians probably wouldn't want to say that in such a situation.

Then, armed with some dictionaries, online translators and very faded memories of Latin lessons in high school and with a lot of cross-checks, I tried to cobble together some fairly authentic Italian flair. Or swear.  ;-D

Some of the things I remained suspicious of:
* I feared  that “macchina” might be mis-interpreted as “car”, but I hoped that the word would be clear in context.
* One source would make me believe that Italians swear in groups of three, but that might just as well be an artifact of the translating algorithm. Do Italians really prefer “Merda! Merda! Merda!” over “Merda!”? In the end, I concluded that my safer bet would probably be to go with single swears.
[close]

Speaking of which and seeing that I'm talking to an Italian, would you mind helping me out and proofread the passage?
Here's the game code:
Spoiler

switch(current_swear)
    {
        case  1: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Cazzo!"); break;
        case  2: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Merda!"); break;
        case  3: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Morte e demonio!"); break;
        case  4: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Cavolo!"); break;
        case  5: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Per l'amor di Dio!"); break;
        case  6: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Non puo' essere vero!"); break;
        case  7: cVendorWin.SayBackground("La mia bella macchina!"); break;
        case  8: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Gesu', culo e filo spinato!"); break;
        case  9: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Tutta rotta."); break;
        case 10: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Tutta cannata."); break;
        case 11: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Tutta incasinata."); break;
        case 12: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Terribile!"); break;
        case 13: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Tutta fritta."); break;
        case 14: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Tutta fregata."); break;
        case 15: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Voglio morire!"); break;
        case 16: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Agghiacciante."); break;
        case 17: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Completamente fot-tu-ta."); break;
        case 18: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Aiuto! Aiuto! Aiuto!"); break;
        case 19: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Questa è la fine."); break;
        case 20: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Al Diavolo!"); break;
        case 21: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Ora sono arrabbiato."); break;
        case 22: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Ne ho avuto abbastanza."); break;
        case 23: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Crocifere turche!"); break;
        case 24: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Ho finito."); break;
        case 25: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Oh caro."); break;
        case 26: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Sono spacciato."); break;
        case 27: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Oh, no, no, no!"); break;
        case 28: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Mi ucciderò."); break;
        case 29: cVendorWin.SayBackground("Maledetto! "); break;
        case 30: cVendorWin.SayBackground("E' sparito tutto."); break;
    }
[close]

Again, thanks for playing and thanks for the feedback!

Stupot

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 15/07/2019 01:59:00
Last chance to get your votes in.

Dammit. I haven't had time yet to play. 24 extra hours?

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 15/07/2019 04:57:59
Quote from: Stupot on Mon 15/07/2019 01:59:00
Last chance to get your votes in.

Dammit. I haven't had time yet to play. 24 extra hours?

I'll be honest. I don't think it would have changed the result much. But still feel free to play and leave your feedback when you get a chance :-)

Well done to Fernewelten. An emphatic win. You'll be contacted soon about setting a topic for August.
Commiserations to VampWomb. A worthy runner-up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk