Cave of Avarice

Started by cat, Sun 02/06/2019 20:06:00

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Download Cave of Avarice

The mirror provides a Linux version.

A former Dahomey Amazon turned mercenary has been hired by two explorers for leading them to a cave said to contain a great treasure. The mercenary has been tasked with guarding the entrance while the two explorers enter, but as gunshots are heard from within only to be followed by silence, she chooses to investigate...

Blondbraid: Story, graphics, animations and writing
cat: Puzzle design, writing and coding
Slasher: Puzzle design, writing and testing
CaptainD: Writing and additional testing

Made for MAGS May 2019

I strongly suggest playing the game in fullscreen mode with sound turned on for the best experience of the atmosphere.

TheFrighter

The Dahomey amazons theme is very intersting, I saw a pair of movies about it and it's a very important piece of history. Maybe it deserves a longer game. This one is cool, anyway.

_

CaptainD

This was a fun game to test.  Would love to see it expanded on someday!

Crimson Wizard

I only wanted to mention couple of graphical things that spoiled this game for me a little:
- first of all, walking animation looks too simplistic, especially compared to picking an item (and overal gfx) :).
- I was genuinely confused about the crack in the wall in the game's finale. As the bright white strip on a wall it looked like a glitch, and at first I did not realize that's the passage character speaks of.

Also, I found that this particular version of 3.5.0 has a bug in software renderer which causes it to not repaint parts of screen. You can see this if you run intro with software gfx driver.
(EDIT: nope, still not fixed in latest beta)

cat

Thanks for the feedback!

I tested the game with Direct 3D and didn't have any graphic issues. I recommend to use this setting.

The crack in the wall:
Spoiler
My idea was, that there was bright light coming from behind (the last scene was not painted, yet, when I coded the room). But it seems it doesn't look too great. I will keep this in mind and change it for a later post-MAGS version.
[close]

Mandle

I was also confused by what the white area was...

selmiak

This is nice. I played it and recorded it.
Only watch the spoiler if you are stuck or so
Spoiler

Slasher

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 07/06/2019 20:23:01
Thanks Selmiak ;)

Second that, I think your videos are great, Selmiak!  ;-D

selmiak

thanks for your kind words and the great games. Keep making great games and I keep making these videos :)

Blondbraid

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 09/06/2019 13:22:10
thanks for your kind words and the great games. Keep making great games and I keep making these videos :)
Thanks, I will! :-D

KyriakosCH

I saw the let's play video. A pretty cool game  8-)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Wendigo games

Walkthrough:
Spoiler
Take the LAMP and use the backbag to get the KNIFE. Use the backbag again to get the MAGNIFYING GLASS and in your inventory combine the lamp and the magnifying glass to create the LIT LAMP. Walk to the cave and use the broken bridge to go down.
Walk to the water and wait until the crocodile swims near you. Use the crocodile to jump on it and use the small platform. Wait the crocodile again and jump on it and on the bank. Take the BONE and use it on the snake to drive it away. Use the knife on the paper to get the PAPER.
Go into the passage. This is a maze. In your inventory use the map to look at it. Walk: 1) to the middle right passage, 2) to the far right passage, 3) to the far left passage, 4) to the middle right passage, 5) to the middle left passage. Take the GUN (pistol) and use it on the spike. Use the corpse of explorer (in a hat) to get the ROPE. Walk to the gap.
Walk to the right and use the rope on the branch. Use the rope.
by Wendigo
[close]

cat

It's been some time, but I've uploaded a new version with a fix minor fixes

Spoiler
including a fix for the confusing crack.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk