Tales of Jayvin

Started by Vincent, Thu 06/06/2019 00:12:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent

SPAMFASTIC STUDIOS is proud to present:

Tales of Jayvin won the "Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS" at the AGS Awards 2019!

Also...
Nominated, Best Game Created with AGS 2019
Nominated, Best Freeware Game Created with AGS 2019
Nominated, Best Gameplay 2019
Nominated, Best Programming 2019
Nominated, Best Puzzles 2019

The Story:
------------------
Jayvin an unlikely hero, if every there was one, stumbles into a portal and finds himself in the land of Naturnum.
Unbeknown to him, his arrival has been expected.
Evil forces, commanded by the Dark Lord, Arachemon, are wreaking havoc across the Universe.
Only Jayvin has the power to fight these forces and put an end to Arachemon's reign of terror.

Team:
----------------
Vincent Cortese - Game concept and Programming.
RetroJay - All in game art,  programming, graphics and sound effects.
Barbwire - Dialogs, stories, poems and additional game ideas.
RetroLee - "One" story, additional game ideas and sound effects.
Daniel Kobylarz- All in game music.

Game Information:
------------------
Genre: RPG/Adventure/Puzzle Solving
Engine: AGS 3.2.1.
Resolution: 640X400.
Colour Depth: 32-bit colours.
Graphics Driver: Direct Draw 5.
Controls: Keyboard and Game-pad support. Game-pad controls are fully re-definable within the game menu.
Operating System: Windows/MacOS.

Special thanks to:
------------------
Chris Jones and Adventure Game Studio.
Edmundo Ruiz - Tween Module
Snarky - Day/Night Cycle
Jerakeen - Particle System Manager
SSH & Dusk - EpicShadow
Steve McCrea - Lake Module
Khris - SmoothScrolling, Keyboard Movement
Wyz - Joystick and game controller plugin
Dennis Plöger - Conversion to Mac

Binocular room music...
"Relent" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Released the soundtrack at:
------------------
Bandcamp:
https://dankoby.bandcamp.com/album/tales-of-jayvin-original-soundtrack
Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/5o6ReS3P3VEdIeb6GVccgY?si=oQnqFgTvQ6GJEKacKc-BSA

And all of the other streaming services.

Download Tales of Jayvin!

Stupot

Congrats on release. It looks really fun.

And happy birthday :-D

RetroJay

Hi, Stupot.

Thank you for your very kind words.
Vincent was sooooo happy to get our game out on his Birthday. :-D
I also wanted to do this, for this date.

I have made a slight cock up with our description. :-[
For anyone who has already downloaded our game... The control section in the "Readme" or here should read like this...

Controls:
------------------
Keyboard or Game-pad.
Game-Pad controls are "re-definable" within the game menu.
Keyboard controls, unfortunately, are not "re-definable".
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who has downloaded our game from this point... Everything should be correct... I hope.
I have already messaged Vincent with this error. Hopefully he can correct the error at the top of this page, oggi.
(It's amazing how fluent in Italian I have become.) (laugh)

I am so sorry for this error. :-[ :-[ :-[

I hope you will enjoy playing our game.

P.s.
I know I wished you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY, in ritardo ieri... Or, presto oggi. (Whatever time it was we went to bed.)  (laugh)
But... Happy Birthday, again, Vincent, mio carissimo amico mio. (You can correct me on my Italian later.) HAHAHA! :-D

Yours.
Jay.

lorenzo

Congratulations on release! Downloading the game right now.
And of course, happy birthday Vincent!

Vincent

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 06/06/2019 01:37:28
Congrats on release. It looks really fun.

And happy birthday :-D

Thanks a lot Stupot for the happy wishes, I hope you will enjoy playing our game! :D

Quote from: RetroJay on Thu 06/06/2019 06:04:32
Hi, Stupot.

Thank you for your very kind words.
Vincent was sooooo happy to get our game out on his Birthday. :-D
I also wanted to do this, for this date.

I have made a slight cock up with our description. :-[
For anyone who has already downloaded our game... The control section in the "Readme" or here should read like this...

Controls:
------------------
Keyboard or Game-pad.
Game-Pad controls are "re-definable" within the game menu.
Keyboard controls, unfortunately, are not "re-definable".
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who has downloaded our game from this point... Everything should be correct... I hope.
I have already messaged Vincent with this error. Hopefully he can correct the error at the top of this page, oggi.
(It's amazing how fluent in Italian I have become.) (laugh)

I am so sorry for this error. :-[ :-[ :-[

I hope you will enjoy playing our game.

P.s.
I know I wished you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY, in ritardo ieri... Or, presto oggi. (Whatever time it was we went to bed.)  (laugh)
But... Happy Birthday, again, Vincent, mio carissimo amico mio. (You can correct me on my Italian later.) HAHAHA! :-D

Yours.
Jay.

Ahah ciao Jay, mio carissimo amico mio, grazie mille again for the happy wishes! :D
Releasing our game for my birthday was the greatest gift, I really appreciated it, grazie mille!  :-[
Regarding the error don't worry because I hadn't noticed it either but I have fixed the post now!  :-D

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 06/06/2019 09:09:19
Congratulations on release! Downloading the game right now.
And of course, happy birthday Vincent!

Hi lorenzo thanks a lot for the happy wishes, I appreciate it! I hope you will enjoy playing our game!  :)

Jack

This looks super interesting. Downloading.

Any plans of a linux version?

Mandle

I had a great time playing today!!!

Can't wait to find the time again to go back and figure out how to beat that damn gameboy minigame...

RetroJay

Hi, Jack.
We are so happy that you like the look of our game.
We hope you will enjoy playing.
At the moment we have no plans for a Linux version, but never say never. (laugh)
Unfortunately we would need to do a lot of testing, etc, and we don't have a Linux machine to do this.

Yours.
Jay and Vincent.

RetroJay

Hi, Mandle.

We are so happy that you are enjoying playing our game.
HAHAHA!! (laugh) You will beat the "GameJoy" minigame. Once you get a feeling for the map it becomes easier.
There are many more challenges to be had throughout the game so... Brace yourself. (laugh)

Yours.
Jay and Vincent.

Mandle

One thing I would suggest is starting the player off with a free pack of maybe 3 of each potion and 3 shields. A gift left by Grandfather.

The reason I say this is because the first thing the player will do is find the house with the practice fighting pit so they will try fighting before heading out to explore the world. Especially because the pit's sign says "practice fighting in a controlled environment" which makes it sound really safe.

This might frustrate some players into just quitting the game as they will probably get paralyzed or something straight away in the first fight.

But if they have potions they will probably look through all the options even if they haven't read the book yet on how to play and this will help them figure out combat a bit on their own, as the potions have their effects mentioned next to them. This might makie the "tutorial" a bit more hands-on than just reading through the book.

Also, I would suggest that Grandfather uses different words than "Let's start your tutorial" because it kind of breaks the player's immersion right at the start of the game just when they are getting into the story.

How about something like "It's time for you to start learning the ways of this world"?

Just my opinions after having played the game way too long yesterday. So addictive!

Crimson Wizard

The error happens when I run the game with Direct3D graphics driver set in winsetup, as opposed to DirectDraw 5:

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.21.1115)

in "Tween module.asc", line 1305
from "Tween module.asc", line 1321
from "Tween module.asc", line 1501
from "Input.asc", line 864
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 3567

Error: A blocking function was called before the first room has been loaded

(No idea how the graphics driver can be related)

Vincent

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 07/06/2019 23:45:52
One thing I would suggest is starting the player off with a free pack of maybe 3 of each potion and 3 shields. A gift left by Grandfather.

The reason I say this is because the first thing the player will do is find the house with the practice fighting pit so they will try fighting before heading out to explore the world. Especially because the pit's sign says "practice fighting in a controlled environment" which makes it sound really safe.

This might frustrate some players into just quitting the game as they will probably get paralyzed or something straight away in the first fight.

But if they have potions they will probably look through all the options even if they haven't read the book yet on how to play and this will help them figure out combat a bit on their own, as the potions have their effects mentioned next to them. This might makie the "tutorial" a bit more hands-on than just reading through the book.

Also, I would suggest that Grandfather uses different words than "Let's start your tutorial" because it kind of breaks the player's immersion right at the start of the game just when they are getting into the story.

How about something like "It's time for you to start learning the ways of this world"?

Just my opinions after having played the game way too long yesterday. So addictive!

Hi Mandle, I would like to thank you very much for all your suggestions because they are all appreciate. We will keep all these tips in mind and see if there will be any changes in the future. Therefore, a further thank you for playing this game because it means a lot to us! If you have any further suggestions for anything you are welcome, thank you very much once again.

Vincent and Jay.

Vincent

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 08/06/2019 00:58:13
The error happens when I run the game with Direct3D graphics driver set in winsetup, as opposed to DirectDraw 5:

Adventure Game Studio
An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.21.1115)

in "Tween module.asc", line 1305
from "Tween module.asc", line 1321
from "Tween module.asc", line 1501
from "Input.asc", line 864
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 3567

Error: A blocking function was called before the first room has been loaded

(No idea how the graphics driver can be related)

Hi Crimson Wizard, thank you very much for reporting this error. Sadly the only way to play this game properly is by using the DirectDraw 5 as graphic driver. For any other types of technical problems, they should be reported in the "Read Me" file which is located in the game folder. A further thank you for having had time to try this game, it means a lot to us.

Vincent and Jay.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Vincent on Sat 08/06/2019 11:04:14
Hi Crimson Wizard, thank you very much for reporting this error. Sadly the only way to play this game properly is by using the DirectDraw 5 as graphic driver.

Could you explain why? Were there some problems that prevented you from allowing other drivers?

I am asking firstly because I'm very curious how driver may be related, but there are other reasons: DirectDraw 5 does not work well on my system (or video card, idk), and software mode in general may be pretty slow on other systems like Linux (it was a linux user who first told me to check out this problem).

Vincent

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 08/06/2019 12:53:51
Could you explain why? Were there some problems that prevented you from allowing other drivers?

I am sorry to say but I really can't explain this. I actually don't see a reason why these should be related to each other. The same scripts working fine in DirectDraw5.
AGS says it can be related to a scripting error but this is sound like a bug in AGS.

I am asking firstly because I'm very curious how driver may be related, but there are other reasons: DirectDraw 5 does not work well on my system

This is the same reason why we have chosen to use DirectDraw5. In our machines the Direct3D doesn't work well on our systems.

and software mode in general may be pretty slow on other systems like Linux

This actually works the opposite for us. The software mode is the fast one.

At the moment we're feeling sorry if you can't have a chance to play this game properly.

Yours.
Vincent and Jay.

Mandle

Wow, I've played for about another hour and a half today and...

Just WOW!!! The game keeps getting better and better!

I haven't felt this excited playing a game in a very long while... Perhaps since Heroine Quest...

Incredible game!!!

RetroJay

Hi, there, Mandle.

WOW!!
I can't get over your truly fantastic post.
On behalf of myself and Vincent we wish to thank you for your glowing report.
We are so happy that you are enjoying our game.
Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.

Yours.
Jay and Vincent.

RetroJay

Hi, Crimson Wizard.

I am at work, at the moment, but on Monday I would like to send you a PM so that we can try and work out what is going on here with this driver issue.
I will say one thing though... I have tried, in the past, to make a game with the D3D driver and have experienced nothing but weird problems, audio, graphical and just plain weirdness.
My other games I made with Direct Draw because of the strange problems with D3D.
I look forward to speaking with you about the issue so we can try to understand what is going on here.

Yours.
Jay.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: RetroJay on Sat 08/06/2019 20:27:46
I am at work, at the moment, but on Monday I would like to send you a PM so that we can try and work out what is going on here with this driver issue.
I will say one thing though... I have tried, in the past, to make a game with the D3D driver and have experienced nothing but weird problems, audio, graphical and just plain weirdness.

There has to be a distinction here: when particular driver does not work well on some systems (which can happen ofcourse, this is why we have expanded driver selection with OpenGL later), but in your case situation is stranger because game fails with an obvious scripting error.
I would be happy to help find out how this is related to driver selection of course.

Mandle

Gaaaaaah!!!

Spoiler
The lock on the potion brewer's chest puzzle is evil beyond belief!!!
Are you really going to force me to cut all the pieces out of paper and assemble them in real life until they fit?!
Couldn't it just be possible to remove pieces that were already fitted?
As the puzzle stands at the moment, with it taking so long to move the sloooowwww pieces into place, and then having then permanently locked, and having to start all over again from zero if you screwed up... I see no way that anyone could figure this out without making a mock-up physical version in real life and playing with it until everything fit.
I love the game enough to do just that, but, guys... seriously?!
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk