Issue Getting Game To Run on XP in VirtualBox

Started by SparkyGetsTheGirl, Sat 08/06/2019 18:44:10

Previous topic - Next topic

SparkyGetsTheGirl

This is the error I get when I try to click 'Run' on my basic game (default Sierra Game at this point):

An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00000000 ; program pointer is -3, ACI version 3.4.3.1, gtags (2036, 50)

I've looked on the forums but I can't begin to make heads or tails of this at this point. I'm just trying to run AGS. I have installed the various run times recommended, and directx 9.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Sparky

Crimson Wizard

This is a crash in the engine due some error it cannot recover from. The information here is mostly only useful for engine developers. "program pointer is -3" references the moment when the game is about to load its first room. This is perhaps where it crashes.

Other things to mention, 2036 could be a number of a sprite which initialization has failed (not necessarily, but it's common).

Question: do you run the template game with or without any changes? Have you tried running compiled game elsewhere (not in virtual machine)?

SparkyGetsTheGirl

Thanks for the response, CrimsonWizard.

I have started a template project with no changes (Sierra Style) and tried running and get the same crash. Just tried the MI 9-verb style one and that also crashes (assume the template doesn't matter as it's the engine?).

I don't have anywhere else to run it (am using Mac OSX) but I'll try using the compiled game and wine and see.

Any other suggestions?

P.S. I initially tried to get AGS working via wine on MacOSX but I had too many crashes, so gave up :)

SparkyGetsTheGirl

I cannot get the game to run, either. Is this an XP issue, maybe? I can try loading up a Windows 7 rom?

Khris

I'd build the game, then run the winsetup.exe in the compiled folder and try other graphics drivers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk