Do you consider this as "sellable"?

Started by Mouth for war, Tue 11/06/2019 20:54:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Hey! So I was thinking about becoming a seller at CGtrader. I'm not a professional modeler at all but I thought that maybe I could earn a few extra bucks if I'm lucky. Here are some samples of a few models I've made. This batch contains mostly toony stuff but I'm not limited to that. I'm not expecting to sell much, if anything haha but do you think that these are at least sellable?

First up, a toony grassy hill/floating island

Next, a few trees

A really simple bed

An uncomfortable chair

tombstones

Would love to hear your thoughts about these :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

RetroJay

Hi, There, Mouth for war.

I think these look great. 8-0
I don't see any reason why no one would buy these models.
From what I've seen of your other works that you post on here from time to time I think you probably have quite a vast library of models.
I have seen sites that are trying to sell this kind of stuff and they aren't nearly as good as these.
I say, go for it and see how things go.

Good luck.

Yours.
Jay.

lorenzo

Hi, Mouth for war!
I remember seeing some of your 3D renderings in various background competitions and they were always really good!

I like these models. The trees and hill work well together as a set. Nice, cartoony textures with a painterly feeling (especially the tree trunks).

The grassy hill/floating island: the grass on top is a bit weird. It doesn't really look like grass, more like green icing on a strange cake. (laugh)
Maybe try adding some grass sprites on top, to see how it looks?
Or a less sharp cut between the ground and the grass, like this (from Torchlight 2).
Anyway, it's not a bad model, but it could be better.

Trees: I like these trees a lot.
The first tree could be more elongated and a less "fat". Something like this:

But it's not really necessary, it looks good already.

The dead tree is nice, but I'd change the pointy top and add some smaller branches.

Bed: this model is way too simple, it really needs some details. The mattress, for example, it looks like it's made of stone, I wouldn't want to sleep on it!
Personally, I would make it a bit more round, less "angled", more smooth.
The textures on the model could use some work too: the bed sheet is too flat and I don't really like the wood. I prefer the style you used for the trees.

Tombs: These are really good. Some small defects in the stone would add a bit of variation to the gravestones and make them look more old and weathered. Texture is a bit noisy, compared to the other models.

--

I wrote a lot, but mine are only minor criticism.
Are these models sellable? I would say so. Except for the bed, that could use some work, the rest are nicely done. I can imagine them working well together in a game!

Mouth for war

Thanks Jay! Appreciate it buddy :-D
@lorenzo, Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment. I like what you did to that tree. looks much better :-D

KyriakosCH

I agree with the others, very nice models :D

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

milkanannan

They're nice models, but who would pay for this sort of thing? It would have to be a designer that is already working on a game with this specific style, right? Maybe I don't understand the market fully, but I wouldn't expect these to be much in demand, at least not nearly as much as high definition backgrounds or pixel work.

Jack

They're sold in packs like icons, and the people who buy them I think will tend to do it before they start a game, and if the pack allows they can build their whole game from that.

Mouth for war

Thanks KyriakosCH :-)

@ man n fist
Quote from: Jack on Fri 14/06/2019 21:02:35
They're sold in packs like icons, and the people who buy them I think will tend to do it before they start a game, and if the pack allows they can build their whole game from that.
What he said :-D

milkanannan

Quote from: Jack on Fri 14/06/2019 21:02:35

OK point taken, but it still strikes me as an extremely niche business model that requires an extreme amount of up front work before the artist gets paid. OP, you're really planning on developing a pack of hundreds of images like this? Wouldn't it be easier to use these preliminary images as demos of your skill and then try to get yourself recruited as a key artist for a game with a production budget?

Ali

I think it's great that you're developing 3D skills, but I think it would be better to release these for free, under a CC-BY license if possible. That way you're more likely to get feedback and encouragement. When I use stock models, it's because I need something very specific (a model of car, a particular period item of furniture etc.). I suspect that generic items in a non-naturalistic style are likely to be less in-demand. I hope that doesn't sound too negative, it's just that I've been in this situation and it can be dispiriting not to make sales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk