Netflix movie recommendations?

Started by milkanannan, Fri 28/06/2019 17:17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

I know the Netflix library varies country to country, but nevertheless I'd like to start a thread for recommending cool Netflix finds. Hope others want to participate!

milkanannan

So I'll start. Here are a few of the titles I saw for the first time on the Netflix platform:

Indie Game - I think most of us have seen it. Awesome awesome movie and very motivating! Great soundtrack too!

Peter and the Farm - I keep coming back to this one. A documentary of an old guy with an alcohol problem that lives alone on his farm. The movie is essentially just him talking about his life, the ups and downs, and how the farm has evolved/devolved along with him.

milkanannan

A bunch of titles most people have already seen, but worth the recommendation (it's possible some people aren't aware these are on Netflix):

The Founder - story of Kroc and McDonald's

Reservoir Dogs - Cool Tarantino flick

The Social Network - Story of Facebook

The Revenant - I loved the look at crazy life in early colonial North America; the story gets a little Hollywood-y for me towards the end, but the general perspective it presents is cool

The King's Speech - I think everyone's seen it

Precious - Very overweight American teen tries to stay positive in an extremely dysfunctional home

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - I think many will scroll by it, but it's a really interesting collection of a short, unrelated stories in the wild American west. Give it twenty minutes, even if you hate westerns.

Melancholia - A doomsday movie with Kirsten Dunst, who was herself going through a depression at the time of filming (from what I've read), so it really brings a very dark apocalyptic feel to the film.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - no description needed

Blood Diamond - very interesting story of the diamond trade in ...I think it's Namibia? I can't remember. Leo Dicaprio

The Lobster - surreal future film in which people are punished for not engaging in couple-hood. If you're single for too long, you get turned into an animal.

The Wrestler - I loved this movie. American wrestler (Mickey Rourke) hits stardom in the 80s but now aged and living in a trailer trying to piece his bizarre life together.

milkanannan

Bokeh - two tourists end up in Iceland when the rapture hits and everyone (except them) disappears. It's a cool movie, especially if you are kind of a loner (like me!)

milkanannan

Woody Allen's Manhattan Murder Mystery is on there now. Not his greatest, but I found it entertaining.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk