Our Place in Time

Started by Shaneaphone, Fri 29/12/2023 11:18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaneaphone

'Our Place in Time'

A one person hand drawn point and click adventure.

You play as Rowan (named after my headstrong amazing daughter of the same name). It is the early noughties. You have been dragged off by your bemusing father to excavate Celtic artefacts on the west coast of Wales. A time travel historical adventure firmly rooted in real history.

This is my second game. I was working intensely on it for a month or two but sadly lost inspiration. The rudimentary combat system I had dreamed up was getting rather taxing on my amateur coding abilities. I will however return to finish it eventually. I had forgotten how much I had already done...

Art: 20%
Programming: 20%
Design/Story: 50%
Combat system: 20% (Why oh why did I want this?)
Rich Brown
Beardy Ramblin Games

CaptainD

This looks really interesting! Hope you manage to find the desire to work on it. I'm sure you could find help with the combat system (or... get rid of it / replace it with something else!). It doesn't feel that the game's plot inherently lends itself to having a combat system, although obviously you had a reason for wanting it in the first place.

Anyway, all the best with development  ;-D

bicilotti

I like the art!

heltenjon

I certainly hope it's not the lack of feedback for your first game that's caused the lack of inspiration! I bought it, but it's in the queue of games to play...things take time in this trade.

This looks nice and the plot sounds interesting. Like the captain said, you don't have to figure out every technicality yourself. The community is friendly and most likely may help you figure out what you need to know.

Best of luck continuing this! It looks like something I'd enjoy.

Shaneaphone

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 29/12/2023 12:45:48This looks really interesting! Hope you manage to find the desire to work on it. I'm sure you could find help with the combat system (or... get rid of it / replace it with something else!). It doesn't feel that the game's plot inherently lends itself to having a combat system, although obviously you had a reason for wanting it in the first place.

Anyway, all the best with development  ;-D

Thanks. Very kind. I scrapped the specific 'fight' that was causing the headache. One problem is not worth losing hundreds of hours and giving up eh? You're very correct though, perhaps I do need to re-evaluate priorities. Or at the very least scale down some of my wild ambitions into reality. Very wise, thank you.
Rich Brown
Beardy Ramblin Games

Shaneaphone

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 29/12/2023 15:54:54I certainly hope it's not the lack of feedback for your first game that's caused the lack of inspiration! I bought it, but it's in the queue of games to play...things take time in this trade.

This looks nice and the plot sounds interesting. Like the captain said, you don't have to figure out every technicality yourself. The community is friendly and most likely may help you figure out what you need to know.

Best of luck continuing this! It looks like something I'd enjoy.

Thank you! Very sincerely. Ah that's amazing that you bought the game! Would love to be a fly on the wall when someone fires that up!

I've spent a lot of evenings chatting about ideas and re-reading some old university books on Roman Britain etc. Got a nice story, just the artwork bottle necks a bit because I'm such an amateur and it takes me a while. I have invested in a very cheap and small drawing tablet.

Anyway thanks so much, really appreciate it.
Rich Brown
Beardy Ramblin Games

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk