I want to make an achievement based game.

Started by booknut, Tue 25/06/2019 00:26:11

Previous topic - Next topic

booknut

I want to make an achievement based game. To win, my character has to unlock all the achievements. Is such a game possible with this Program?

Khris

Yes, definitely. The scripting language can easily do that. Just create a bunch of bool variables and set them to  true  at the appropriate time.

Code: ags
function hKeyhole_Useinv() {
  if (player.ActiveInventory == iPencil) {
    if (oNewspaperFloorDoor.Visible) {
      Display("You push the pencil into the keyhole. You can hear something drop onto the newspaper behind the door.");
      achWorstPuzzle = true;
    }
  }
}

You can also add a custom function that'll display an animated achievement badge, with custom text and logo if you want. You can pretty much do anything you want. You just have to create all the graphics and write the appropriate code.

booknut

Uh, Thanks, but I know Absolutely Nothing about coding or programming. (Also, are health bars possible?)

milkanannan

Quote from: Khris on Tue 25/06/2019 00:29:46
Yes, definitely. The scripting language can easily do that. Just create a bunch of bool variables and set them to  true  at the appropriate time.

Code: ags
function hKeyhole_Useinv() {
  if (player.ActiveInventory == iPencil) {
    if (oNewspaperFloorDoor.Visible) {
      Display("You push the pencil into the keyhole. You can hear something drop onto the newspaper behind the door.");
      achWorstPuzzle = true;
    }
  }
}

You can also add a custom function that'll display an animated achievement badge, with custom text and logo if you want. You can pretty much do anything you want. You just have to create all the graphics and write the appropriate code.

Are you dissing the Hugo series?   (wrong)

Khris

Quote from: booknut on Tue 25/06/2019 00:36:41
Uh, Thanks, but I know Absolutely Nothing about coding or programming. (Also, are health bars possible?)
That piece of code was meant to illustrate how game mechanics are created. The function I posted assumes a so called "Hotspot" drawn on the background called "hKeyhole" and handles the event of the player clicking it with the inventory item "iPencil".
Anyway, yes, health bars are possible. In theory AGS supports the creation of any arbitrary game; it's a full fledged game engine that is focussed on but in no way restricted to point and click adventure games. It also supports drawing geometric shapes or pixels directly on the screen, which means the only hard limit is speed. People have created 3D vector games, sidescrolling tile-based jump'n'runs with keyboard controls, 2.5D racing games, a darts simulator and all kinds of other "off-topic" games.

man n fist: and every other one of at least a few dozen adventure games implementing this puzzle

milkanannan

Quote from: Khris on Tue 25/06/2019 13:21:52

man n fist: and every other one of at least a few dozen adventure games implementing this puzzle

Haha touche  (laugh)

booknut

Sorry about the tantrum. I was exceedingly frustrated. I've been watching tutorials, and I understand the program a bit better now.

Khris

No need to apologize.
Creating a game with AGS requires programming; becoming frustrated is natural as a beginner. AGS used to be a "click shit together" type of program, but it has grown into an actual engine and as such requires skills that can't be acquired in a single afternoon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk