Gliding: How to avoid having it, and smooth camera movement.

Started by Dualnames, Sat 29/06/2019 18:16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

So, I'm using camera movement based on the character's position, to maintain the smoothness of the camera, if the MovementLinkedToAnimation is set to true, then for my walking speed which is 2 for both axis, the animation speed of the player character has to be 0. I'm wondering, how should the player character be animated for 0 delay between frames aka each frame lasts 1 loop to ensure non-gliding or not garbage animation?

I hope I'm making sense.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dualnames

To iterate, since our framerate is 40 frames per second, then, here's a formula I think that works!
Our walkspeed is 2 (both on X and Y axis).

Explanation:

For our game, in 40 loops, aka 1 second realtime, our character is walking exactly 80 pixels towards a set direction.
Ideally 40 frames of walking animation would match that, but of course that's retarded and  an amazingly awful lot of work.

Since every direction needs/has 8 direct pose frames (will call em KEY FRAMES for now)
Then we can do 8 minimum per direction, of course, 8 frames per direction means the animation won't be fluid at all.
Because it's only 4 frames playing per step. So depending on our in between frames (TRANSITIONAL)  to these 8 KEY FRAMES we can determine the fluidness of the animation.

Juicy bit:

I'd suggest doing 16 frames of animation PER direction, which means one TRANSITIONAL frame between the distinct POSE/KEY frames.
That means 8 frames per step. Which means from STANDING(CONTACT) to FIRST FOOT LANDING(CONTACT) after being lifted the character will move 16 pixels.
Thus the animation needs to match that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJOfsfsXoAMfuUX.jpg
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

eri0o

Can't you like double the frames in the view (except frame 0) and use movement linked to animation?

You want to reduce the pixels per frame step for the scroll to be as good as the gliding, this is the only compromise that's quick to do I can imagine.

morganw

Does it only look wrong because there is no damping / dead zone on the camera?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk